Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-05, 05:50 PM   #1
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly
Default shimano

Over rated or under rated ??!!
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:50 PM   #2
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111
Default Re: shimano

way over, thats my opinion
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:50 PM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Why is it that I feel like Stets has come back under a different name? ???
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:56 PM   #4
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly

What is stets? ???
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 06:24 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassbooger link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=0#2 date=02/26/05 at 15:50:58]Why is it that I feel like Stets has come back under a different name? ???[/quote]

ROTLF LMAO, man that was just what I was thinking. ;D

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 08:34 PM   #6
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

I'm gonna say both. I think the Curado is one heckuva reel for the money. I did get my first Daiwa and it's a great reel but a little more expensive than the Curado. Some say that the Shimanos wont hold up, I had one bearing seize in 3 years with no other problems. On the high dollar end of reels, I think most of them are overrated. Just my opinion.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 12:39 AM   #7
tinboat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to tinboat

8)QUANTUM!!![DONT TAKE THAT AS A YELL]the kevin vandam signature [$99]

no backlashes,
texaskayaker
tinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 12:43 AM   #8
PackerBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to PackerBasser

daiwa!
PackerBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 06:30 AM   #9
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

Some fisherman don't like shimano. I personally think this is because they are usually the most expensive, not because they have ever had a bad experience with their product. I would be willing to bet that half of them have never owned a shimano reel. I used to be one of the fisherman that downed shimano, until I owned one. Now, I do consider them the best reels made. This is not to say that other reel makers don't make a damn good product. Diawa, Phlueger, even Bass Pro makes really good equipment, but if you want something that will last a lifetime, then buy shimano. If it does screw up for any reason it has a lifetime warranty. You get what you pay for. Don't expect to buy a $40 reel and have it last for 20yrs. It won't happen. good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:07 AM   #10
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

Shimano makes great quality reels. I use only their spinning reels so I can't comment on their baitcasters but I would guess the same quality goes into them as well.. I've never had problems with my Shimanos which is why I still use them. I like Daiwa baitcasters.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:22 PM   #11
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I have a curado and I like it. I Can't compare it to any other reel yet. But I did pick up An ambassadeur sat. at wally world so I'll have something to compare it to.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:39 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

They're a good reel. No damned good, but they are a good reel. ;D Truthfully, they are a good working reel, just a little over priced in my opinion. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:42 PM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

[move][glow=red,2,300]Daiwa Reels. ;D PNJ[/glow][/move]
Old 02-28-05, 11:10 PM   #14
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

I must have read about 500 posts on about 10 different boards. It was shimano that was the biggest choice for most reels that people used and liked. Since I only have a curado I can't say anything about any other reel. I read all last year and decided to try shimano. I try to buy everything either on sale or with coupons for % off. The curado was a Christmas present. I bought a Kistler for the curado but got it at 20%off. The boards were equally devided about gloomis, Kistler, St Croix. I figured with the rod and curado (everyone says they last years) I wouldn't need to be worried about buying something else soon. My point is I guess what works good for you. If you can afford to try every type of rod and reel out there then go for it. I used Mitchell 300's since I was 12 and that is too many years to remember. But they did the job. I hope my curado does the job and if it lasts me 38 years like the 300's did then I guess it works for me.

Bob
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 11:38 PM   #15
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

I prefer diawa baitcasters but cant spend $200 on another one so i bought a curado and then bought 2 more. They are pretty good reels i think but they are nothing compared to my diawa. As for their spinning reels, i only have 1 spinning rod/reel and it is a shimano. it has been through hell and back, small tuna that can rip drag faster than any fish, used in in salt water for 2 years now, used it for 3 years previous to that in fresh, and have only greased it a few times, but still works like new, although it skweaks a lil it still works great.
Old 03-04-05, 06:30 PM   #16
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

That was StetsD. can anyone tell me why alot of people think that Shimano are the best ? P N J
Old 03-04-05, 07:36 PM   #17
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

come on now pnj if you got a name like stetson you would be a tad odd also. yeah that is his real name...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 05:53 AM   #18
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

I have a Shimano Stella and it works great. It is soo much smoother than other spinning reels. I have never had any trouble with it. You can just feel a difference using it.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:24 AM   #19
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Bass_fishing_girl link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=0#17 date=03/05/05 at 03:53:50]I have a Shimano Stella and it works great. It is soo much smoother than other spinning reels. I have never had any trouble with it. You can just feel a difference using it.

Sandra [/quote]

Well Sandra I gotta say for $500 it had better do the hooksets itself It's a Very, Very Very ncie reel, but if it's a spinning reel of decent quality, with a decent sized roller guide, and comes with a spare spool it works fine for me. I love the good stuff too, but in spinning, where the reel doesn't spin while casting, the bearings and such don't have much to do with the reel's performance, other than on the retrieve, which is less critical IMO, then the cast. It absolutely won't help you cast farther or better. The bigger spools do make a difference though. Don't get me wrong, anyone wants to donate a Stella to Lizards, he'll definately use it but I'm not paying that much for a reel, unless it's a baitcaster, that will never, never backlash, and casts farther than any other one.

PS I do like Shimano, mainly because they make a decent product for a decent price. They also have a lot of choices. But so does Quantum, Diawa, Abu, etc..

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 08:45 PM   #20
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Lizards,

The Shimano was a Valentine's day gift I think it is great and was thinking about getting all the Stellas that hold different sizes in test line. Oh, well, I could be asking for Diamonds

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:40 AM   #21
Bass357
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bass357

I don't know about the rating of Shimano because I don't hear very much one way or the other about it. I only know from my own experience with the two Shimano's I own. They are the best baitcasters I own. I received a Castaic as a gift and fell in love with it until I purchased a Citica and I actually like it better. I don't care what anyone says about Shimano, I know I have two top quality reels that are doing a great job for me. Bass on!!!! ;D A very pleased Shimano owner
Bass357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 06:05 PM   #22
zooker___________.
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zooker___________.

Shimano is the best reel on the market (FOR THE MONEY)! I bought a 2000fb for 25$ bucks/with quick fire. I use it more than my 160$ dollar BPS/Extreme casting rod/reel.
zooker___________. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 07:14 PM   #23
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Bama,Welcome to the site. I have yet to have one person tell why they think the shimanos are so great.I have had several shimano reels and personally think they are a run of the mill reel.I own 60 reels, many different brands and I can tell you what is great and what is not so great about every one of the reels I have.The shimanos are backlashing S.O.B.'S compared to any other reel I currently own.The Quantum E400 reels were the worst for backlashes ,but the shimano curados I owned were pretty annoying because they constantly overran the spool ,not every time ,but once out of 10 casts or so was annoying .They worked ok but nothing made me feel like wanting to keep them forever like the old Daiwa TD-1 tournament reels I have.They are from the late 1980's and they are still bullet proof.They aren't the smoothest cranking you will find, but they are the smoothest flipping & pitching reel I have ever owned.The line strips off from the spool freely and it stops when the spool stops every time.Thats why I like Daiwa reels. ;D P N J
Old 03-08-05, 07:58 PM   #24
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=news;num=1109451005;start=0#22 date=03/08/05 at 17:14:32]The shimanos are backlashing S.O.B.'S compared to any other reel I currently own.The Quantum E400 reels were the worst for backlashes ,but the shimano curados I owned were pretty annoying because they constantly overran the spool ,not every time ,but once out of 10 casts or so was annoying .[/quote]

Keep your thumb on the spool. Dang New Yorkers. It aint enough I got to send them lures now I gotta teach em how to cast. One of these days I guess I'll show em how to catch fish too ;D ;D ;D ;D
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 08:24 PM   #25
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

il
careful who you cuss.....just cause they are dam yankee's and used to being cooped up for 9 months of the year.waiting for the"thaw"...

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.