Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-05, 06:48 PM   #1
fisherman_craig
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fisherman_craig
Default fish finder

hey guys
i have been fishing a huge lake that is close to where i live. It is Lake Purdy in Birmingham, Alabama. i usuallly rent a john boat and take my endura trolling motor. the lake is so massive that i have trouble finding the fish. im going to buy a fish finder this weekend. do yall have any tips about the fish finder and how to find the fish? thanks so much! ;D
fisherman_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 07:22 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: fish finder

first of all, welcome to the board. stick around a while, theres good people here. when you buy the fishfinder, it shouldnt be hard to locate fish. read the manual good, set it up, and go around where you think theres fish and go fairly slow and look at the fish finder to see if theres any fish there. you will find out that alot of people use fish finders more for under water structure and depth and water temp. alot of times bass holding along structure wont be picked up by the fish finder. i dont own a fish finder but i have heard bad things, and the ocasional good thing about hummingbird. i know a few on the board dont like it(zooker ;D) i think theres a company named eagle that sells good ones? not sure.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 07:36 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Well I'm no pro when it comes to reading a fishfinder, but I can tell you that the bass should be moving up right now into the shallows and begining to spawn probably in the next week or so if we get some more warm weather. I'm in Tuscaloosa and today was the first day that I noticed bass were spawning or at least had built beds in a small pond on campus. A pond should be a week or 2 at least ahead of Purdy cause of its sheltered location and shallow features, but it wont be long where you are. When you get the depthfinder, find the shallow spawning areas and back off into the nearest relatively deep water looking for any structure that the fish may be holding to in transition. The fish are either gonna be spawning or right close to where they will spawn.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 07:55 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Since you need it portable I would reccomend this one
http://www.threeriversmarine.com/Eagle117-19.htm

Clint from three rivers will answer your questions, but it's a good model that is very portable. I LOVE HUMMINBIRD, even though zooker dislikes them. He hasn't even given them a chance in the last couple of years, since they have produced some better quality and products IMO. I wouldn't get anything tha needs mounted, without your own boat. And when you do get a boat of your own, you can use it until you find one you like better or can afford. I would not just jump over to the store an buy one just to go fishing tommorrow do your homework, and make sure it's what you want. As for using them well once you turn it on, lots of different settings can be made for what your needing, but this unit is knda simple for idiots like me Which means you could use it fairly easy.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 08:37 PM   #5
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

What I have found about fish finders......They will locate fish but they will not make them bite. I have fished Purdy over the years and have found Texas Rigged worm the best bet there. thanks Lakeguide. I really would not invest in a depth finder for Purdy.
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.