Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-12, 08:43 AM   #1
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Set the hook/drop shot

I have been using the drop shot rig lately and I am having trouble with hook ups on fish. I have read that you set the hook with a drop shot with your reel and not the rod. Please share with me what works for you. Thanks, Highhawk
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 09:09 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think what they're saying is....take up any slack with the reel and then let the rod do the rest. However you shouldn't have measurable slack in your line anyway. If what your doing isn't working then try crossing their eyes at the first bump or let them take it until your sure your bait is 1/2 way down their colon. Hook too big? Bait too long? Little panfish to blame? Rod way too limp? It's been my experience that any bass worth catching will actually EAT a lil drop shot bait, so it's kind of hard not to hook um if you've ruled out the questions above.
Old 06-02-12, 09:24 AM   #3
bassinbob

With a good sharp hook it shouldn't take more than an upward sweep of the rod to hook your fish. That is if the slack is out of the line.
Old 06-02-12, 04:13 PM   #4
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replys. Med/Hvy spinning rod, 1/0 hook, 10 pound mono, 4 inch plastic bait. Will concentrate on setting hook with authority. Thanks.
Old 06-02-12, 04:39 PM   #5
bassboogieman

In my worthless opinion, I think your gear is on the heavy side for this technique. Light bait & light weights, I'd go with a medium/fast 7' rod and 6# flurocarbon leader/20# braid line. Many guys go with a medium light power, I haven't gone that soft yet. Hooks can also be downsized to a #1 or #2, I like an octapus hook, keep slack out of the line and when bit, just lifting the rod should hook you up.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 04:53 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What "setting the hook with your reel" means is that dropshot hooks are so small and so sharp that if you just start reeling you will have enough power to get a good hookset. I think that might be a slight over exageration but not by much. I agree with boogieman that your rod is bordering on being too heavy and your line certainly is on the heavy side for a traditional dropshot. Of course a lot of guys will dropshot some bigger baits with some bigger hooks and if you do that your gear is probably about perfect. But for the smaller baits and hooks like you are currently using I would bet that you might be setting the hook too hard and ripping the hook out of the mouth of the fish. To compensate for having a rod that is on the stiff side, try loosening your drag so it will give a little on the hookset, not much but a little. Also instead of setting the hook real hard, try just leaning into the fish with the rod. I think you will have better results this way.
Old 06-03-12, 11:31 AM   #7
islandbass

If you're using it in the traditional, i.e., finesse sense carolina is spot on. You say a 1/0 hook, but what kind on hook? Carolina's recommendation above my post on the hook set assumes a drop shot style hook is being used. They will practically set the hook on themselves.

WIth this said, I can envision two plausible scenarios:

1) You're dealing with very finicky (closer to negative mode) fish who aren't inhaling the bait but actually nibbling for the non hook end and slowly making their way to the hook. In these times, you have to wait until they get to the hook. It can be nerve wracking to wait, but you have to because if you don't, any hook set will yank the bait right out of their mouths. You also mention that you're using a MH powered rod and ripping out the bait from their mouths will be very easy to do.

2) You might also be dealing with smaller fish like blue gill who sometimes have trouble getting their mouths to the bigger bass hooks.

If you are truly drop shotting in the finesse mode, Bubba's words about being overpowered are well said. However, if you were fishing heavier cover, then it would be approrpiate. The drop shot, while traditionally finesse, is not constrained or limited to exclusively finesse situations.

If you aren't already, try a drop shot specific hook in size 1 or 2. And don't swing for the fences on your hookset. You increase the probability of losing even more fish. The fish will set the hook on themselves.
Old 06-03-12, 01:45 PM   #8
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Have gotten two types of drop shot hooks today. the one that is on a swivel and you tie to either end, in size #1, and then one that has an additional eye to run the line back thru to keep the hook properly positioned on the line, same size, switched to Medium/fast rod. Still using 10# line but it is Flurocarbon.
I'm catching 5 and 6 pounders on this rig and don't want to go lighter. Lot of big bass in Florida holdingon dropoffs in deeper water right now. (Really high temps down here.) I think the hook was the problem. Thanks for the help.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.