Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-07-12, 04:33 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Which Lew's would you choose?

The wife has been asking what I wanted for father's day repeatedly so I've decided on buying a new reel and I've made the decision to go with a Lew's baitcaster to put on my BPS tourny special rod until I save my allowance to buy a new rod, I believe I'll with the 5.4:1 for cranking, spinnng, etc.

I've got it narrowed down to three:

Lew's Tournament MG 129.95

Lew's Tournament Speed Spool 149.95

Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool 199.95

It's appears that the 1st two are almost similiar- same weight, same line capacity and same number of ballbearings. The 3rd one is lighter an extra ballbearing and less line capacity. None of those really concern as the feedback on all of them seem to great.

I'm leaning more towards the Tournament MG or Tournament Speed Spool, the 3rd one is an option and I know she wouldn't object I'm just not 100% sure I want to make that kind of investment yet.

The feedback of the G series Curado has shy'd me away from them. The Citica is still a possibility. If my local tackle shop still has a couple of the E series Curados I'll push for those (e.g. the E5 which I believe they do)

If you had the option what would you choose?

Thanks
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:12 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am not familiar with the new Lews Speed reels. But it seems that those I know who own them absolutely love them. I would ask for the $149.00 Tournement version because I am married and I would never ask my wife for the most expensive version. However if your wife is loaded Ron Whites wife, then go for it. haha But all kidding aside, at $149.00 your getting one heck of a nice reel for just $20.00 more than the MG.
Old 06-07-12, 07:16 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lews pro. nuff said. ............
Old 06-07-12, 07:20 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
The wife has been asking what I wanted for father's day repeatedly so I've decided on buying a new reel and I've made the decision to go with a Lew's baitcaster to put on my BPS tourny special rod until I save my allowance to buy a new rod, I believe I'll with the 5.4:1 for cranking, spinnng, etc.

I've got it narrowed down to three:

Lew's Tournament MG 129.95

Lew's Tournament Speed Spool 149.95

Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool 199.95

It's appears that the 1st two are almost similiar- same weight, same line capacity and same number of ballbearings. The 3rd one is lighter an extra ballbearing and less line capacity. None of those really concern as the feedback on all of them seem to great.

I'm leaning more towards the Tournament MG or Tournament Speed Spool, the 3rd one is an option and I know she wouldn't object I'm just not 100% sure I want to make that kind of investment yet.

The feedback of the G series Curado has shy'd me away from them. The Citica is still a possibility. If my local tackle shop still has a couple of the E series Curados I'll push for those (e.g. the E5 which I believe they do)

If you had the option what would you choose?

Thanks
I have 3 of the Lews Tournament Pro speed spools, and they are very good reels. If it were me and I was seriously considering makeing this much of an investment, I would purchase the Abu Revo Premier, same price and IMO the reel is in a different class.
Old 06-07-12, 08:39 PM   #5
bottomfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

The lews tournament pro can be had on eBay for $150 shipped. I've got 4 of them and really like them
bottomfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 09:13 PM   #6
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the Tournament MG feels and casts good and smooth, the draw back is they only have 9lbs of drag. For flipping and pitching you can't beat the Revo SX, or STX series from Abu Garcia
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 12:06 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought a speed spool BB1N 25 years ago still using it,never been rebuilt just now starting to get sloppy.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.