Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-01-12, 02:39 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default fluorocarbon for deep diving crankbaits?

What fluorocarbon line do you guys use with your crankbaits? I was using the bass pro xps 10# but it kept breaking in the middle of my cast. Might have been a bad batch but either way I've lost confidence in it.

Has anyone tried the suffix deep crankin line? The reviews on TW seemed pretty good one said he thought it got his bait deeper than fluoro

Last edited by b.a.s.17; 06-01-12 at 04:47 PM.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-12, 07:08 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
What fluorocarbon line do you guys use with your crankbaits? I was using the bass pro xps 10# but it kept breaking in the middle of my cast. Might have been a bad batch but either way I've lost confidence in it.

Has anyone tried the suffix deep crankin line? The reviews on TW seemed pretty good one said he thought it got his bait deeper than fluoro
I tried Sufix Deep Cranking line and I didn't like it at all, in fact I used it for one trip and stripped it off as soon as I got home. What I didn't like about it was that it had a lot of stretch, which is not what you need when throwing a deep diving crankbait. I use Seaguar AbrazX for my crankbaits and I love it.
Old 06-01-12, 07:19 PM   #3
b.a.s.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I tried Sufix Deep Cranking line and I didn't like it at all, in fact I used it for one trip and stripped it off as soon as I got home. What I didn't like about it was that it had a lot of stretch, which is not what you need when throwing a deep diving crankbait. I use Seaguar AbrazX for my crankbaits and I love it.
Thats probably what I'll go with... I use it with my jigs on the 20# I was hesitant to get it because of the cost, but now I've wasted more money on other lines than if I would have just got that from the start. Is the 10# going to be stout enough running it against rocks or should I go up to 12#?
Old 06-01-12, 08:34 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
Thats probably what I'll go with... I use it with my jigs on the 20# I was hesitant to get it because of the cost, but now I've wasted more money on other lines than if I would have just got that from the start. Is the 10# going to be stout enough running it against rocks or should I go up to 12#?
I use 10lb and 12lb both for crankbaits. I actually use 10lb on my deep divers because it will get a little deeper than 12lb. I have never had any problems with it not being strong enough, just be sure to re-tie when it needs it.
Old 06-01-12, 08:41 PM   #5
b.a.s.17

sounds good thanks!
Old 06-05-12, 09:00 PM   #6
Elnutsmalljaws
BassFishin.Com Member

Been using BPS XPS for years and never had a problem. Breaking in the middle of your cast almost sounds like you have a nick in your reel or rod guides somewhere that when caught just right cuts your line. I have used seagar invisix in a pinch and did not have a problem with it either but XPS is my number 1 line
Elnutsmalljaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 09:41 PM   #7
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I kinda like the Sufix DC. Since I'm not throwing cranks with a fiberglass or composite rod, I don't mind a little give.
Old 06-06-12, 01:09 AM   #8
b.a.s.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnutsmalljaws View Post
Been using BPS XPS for years and never had a problem. Breaking in the middle of your cast almost sounds like you have a nick in your reel or rod guides somewhere that when caught just right cuts your line. I have used seagar invisix in a pinch and did not have a problem with it either but XPS is my number 1 line
I didn't have issues with it until this spring and I guess they had some really bad batches of line. They had enough people complain about it that they took it off the rack at the Broken Arrow Bass Pro. Not sure if that happened everywhere or if it was just the shipment to that Bass Pro.

Not saying it couldn't be something with my rod or reel, but it's hasn't been breaking my mono like that
Old 06-06-12, 08:08 AM   #9
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BPS XPS Flurocarbon SUCKS. I'm not a fan of flurocarbon at all, I find it stiff and difficult to use especailly if it stays unused on a reel for a week or more. The memory is horrendous. I've tried several, with the XPS being the most recent tried. I bought 3 spools just before the BF.com gig at Dale Hollow (that water being clear, flurocarbon was highly recommend) and possibly what I got was a bad batch as mentioned above.

When I spooled up (10#, cranks; 12#, spinnerbait; & 15#, plastics) I ran the line through a cloth dampened with KVD Line & Lure. I sprayed the reels several times while fishing with it a D. H. in an attempt to make it more managable. After a couple days I was fed up with it and respooled with my regular line. That was $50 totally wasted.

The line test didn't matter, it was ALL BAD, no redemeeming fishing value in that crap for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 06:35 PM   #10
keithdog

bassboogieman relects very well how I also feel about flourocarbon line. I hate the stuff. Plus it's ungodly expensive. Not to bash the preferences of the other guys who use flourocarbon. To each their own and if they are happy using the stuff, thats great. Myself, I prefer a good quality mono or copolly. I use two lines for crankbaits, both in 12 pound test for deeper cranks. Sufix Elite and Pline Flouroclear. Both have very narrow diameters and are both strong and low memory as well as a pleasure to cast. Just my 2 cents worth. Nahhh, make that 5 cents. Inflation ya know!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.