Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-07, 06:19 AM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Default rod, Spinning got me spinning

What is the difference in the action of a conventional spinning rod and a drop shot spinning rod of the same weight and action?

I was looking at tacklewarehouse.com, in the shimano crucial spinning rod section. 6'8" med rod. What is the difference in cast worm rods and spinning? Would it be fair to say other than casting they are about the same? What would I use the 7'2" M ex-fast spinning rod for?
Does anyone use a "tenn" style spinning rod and what for?

I have a med spinning set up and was thinking about a 6'8-9" rod for like wacky and skips but I do the same on my now med set-up on with an Okuma avenger 30 and have had no problems. What are ALL your spinning set ups and there applicaitons?

Thanks..
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:18 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Usng...etc,

Rods, be they casting or spinning, that are specifically designed for dropshotting will not be satisfactory for many other applications. They are generally Medium-Light Power/Fast Action rods and would be overpowered
by the weight and/or aerodynamics of many lures.
So far as distinctions between casting and spinning rods for the same specific purpose, many are built on the same exact blank, the only difference being the handle and reel type. As an example, I use a St.Croix Avid AC69MLXF CASTING rod for my dropshot work, most of the time. I'm a relatively rare bird in that regard. However, St.C makes the EXACT same rod in a spinning configuration.
I'm a little bit of a maverick to some in that I usually toss my 5 and 6 inch Senko type lures with a spinning rod, usually a Medium or Medium Heavy spin rod in 6'6" or 7' length. I use a 3000 size Quantum PTi, spooled with #30 braid, and a 5-7' leader of, specifically, #15 P-Line Fluorocarbon LEADER material, attached with the much-feared and maddening J-Knot.
If I'm casting T-rigged 4" soft sticks, such as the Senko or Wave Worm Tiki Stik, I may do so with a 6'6" or 7' Medium to Medium Light spin rod with a 2000 size PTi and #20 braid w/fluoro leader.
To further confuse the issue; If throwing wacky-rigged 4" sticks, I generally do so with a casting rod; Lowrider 5-167, Chronarch 50MG reel, #20 P-Line FloroClear OR #20 braid with a fluoro leader of #12 test. Go figure! I may also use, for the same purpose, the spinning version of the 5-167, 2000 PTi, same line selections.
I generally don't use much spin gear, other than as mentioned, for bassing. But, that being said, if it's windy spinning gear may save the day.
Keep asking questions and I hope we can help.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.