Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-07, 05:04 PM   #1
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Taking plastics outta the bags

Whats your opinion on doing this? I like to take them out and store them in my 3600 and 3700. Its alot easier to get to them. How do you store your plastics?

Clay
Old 02-06-07, 05:15 PM   #2
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I leave mine in the bags. Now, I might combine 2 bags of the same type/color into one bag, but I learned a long time ago that taking them out of the bag just gives them more of a chance to dry out and lose their scent.

But hey, it is your baits and you can do whatyou want.
Old 02-06-07, 05:18 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Keep them in the bags and stuff them in a soft tackle bag. It takes up less space and allows me to keep more on hand-which may not be such a good thing .
Old 02-06-07, 05:21 PM   #4
everettvet

I leave them in the bags they came in. I agree that they seem to dry out quicker. If I took them out of the bag, I would have trouble remembering what brand, color and size that I ran out of. Keeping the bag helps me to restock.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 05:27 PM   #5
NJBassDevil

There no organization when you just toss them into a soft tackle bag. I am so organized without the bags its awesome.
Old 02-06-07, 05:44 PM   #6
JB

I used to store them like you do in the plano box, and its very organzied, the problem I had was due to extreme heat in the summer, the oils on my culprits drys somewhat, plus some colors bleed on to others if they accidently get mixed up, plus some of the tails would melt into the plano..
I agree with ya on keeping them in the bags makes it harder to find, sometimes I almost forget I have a bag of certain plastics cause I have to many...but to keep them fresh and keep the scents/salt or what ever fresh, i keep them in bags.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 05:46 PM   #7
adamgambill

Two words man-worm binder. You can leave them in the factory bags or put them in the zip-locks that come with it. The holes for the rings are in the tag/flap end so no scent is lost. I substitute three in place of one hard box. They hold like 10 or 12 packs of worms-more than enough for me. I think the open water ones are like 4 or 5 bucks at walmart.
Old 02-06-07, 05:52 PM   #8
HOG Ranger

I will buck the trend here because I take mine out of the bags and put them in plastic organizers. I have a box for the 3-3.5" and a box for my 4" tubes. I am careful not to mix colors because they will bleed onto each other when they get warm. I have had some in there for 2 years and they are still the same flexibility as when I put them in.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 05:55 PM   #9
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I keep my worms in a duffell bag that I got with a rod purchase, I have a Falcon FTO for terminal tackle, a Plano Flipsider for jigs (FTO for jigs on order!!), and bags of worms just tossed in there, I'm not a big worm fisherman, so I don't have but maybe 50 or 60 bags, but it's a lot easier for me to find what I want that way vs. a bunch of Planos!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 06:07 PM   #10
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Werm binders thrown in a big soft pack. Its gotta be designed by a woman no doubt, but what the hell ? The bait Monkey has made me buy everything that resembles something I could use while fishing, except a beer holder.No need for an instant azzhole, but if there ever is a need for one, just hand me a couple of beers. Roflmao.....P&J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 06:17 PM   #11
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

They make a beer holder hat!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 06:31 PM   #12
bfd300

yea i agree i had no problem what so ever taking the out of the package andputting them in a plano box.....nice and neat and i know exactly where there are

otto
bfd300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 06:49 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBassDevil View Post
There no organization when you just toss them into a soft tackle bag. I am so organized without the bags its awesome.

Wanna bet? Keep each kind of bait in a separate soft bag that allows you to label it and there is no problem. I open the hatch, pull out the labeled bag I want, pull out the particular bag of soft plastics I want, zip it back up, back in the hatch and I'm good to go. I know where each bag is and the labels take all the guesswork out of it. And 10 bags of soft plastics take up a LOT less room than a 3600. But, as I always say, do what works for YOU, not somebody else
Old 02-06-07, 06:58 PM   #14
NJBassDevil

Seems way to complicated for me. Its just another bag you gotta open. As long as you dont put your baits in excesive heat for more then a days worth of fishing and then store them in a cool, dry spot, I think your baits will do just fine outta the bag.

I see what your trying to say Reb.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm young and I'll learn.
Old 02-06-07, 07:17 PM   #15
Bassinkid

i would keep them in the bag. you can keep them organized. obviously the scent dies after a while of being out but on some of my Yum worms it just eats the worm away and turns them brown. But that doesn't happen if it was in a bag.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 07:31 PM   #16
pig n jig

Claybird, I used to keep them in the plano boxes.They work ok, until the latches break, or the lids curl from age.I like to use the plano boxes to arrange different colored baits together to let the colors bleed from one another.P N J
Old 02-06-07, 07:34 PM   #17
HOG Ranger

The key is to not mix different colors or brands as they tend to transfer on each other.

I keep my jigs, senko type worms, cranks, lizards, tubes, chatterbaits, worm hooks and weights, panfish tubes and almost everything else in its own plastic container. I can reach into my storage bin and pull out exactly what I am looking for without digging through a tackle box or whatever. Each one is marked so I can pull it without opening the container. The only exceptions are the Berkley gulps which I do keep in their original bag.
Old 02-06-07, 08:34 PM   #18
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
The key is to not mix different colors or brands as they tend to transfer on each other.
That ain't a bad thing if it does happen every now and again depending on what you think. I tend to fish them more often than not, Dang near impaled a reel grip grip on a drop shot rig to see if downsizing in multiple color was the answer ?. PP&J
Old 02-06-07, 08:43 PM   #19
zooker

i keep mine in a 360 extreme bag in 3600 plano boxes.. i am anal about oganization of baits.. i have mine sorted to types 4" worms, 6" worms, 8-10" worms,trick worms,lizards,finesse worms, bushhogs,and paca's,-every one of these is a plano box full of them differant colors..

zooker
Old 02-06-07, 08:48 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

this is what i do and it works very well for me. i put the soft plastics in ziploc sandwhich bags, then i put them in gallon ziploc bags. i have gallon bags labled "salt crawls", "c-rig", "creature", "lizards", "worms", "finesse and trick worms" and "drop shot". this way all i have to do is decide what i am going to fish and then find the bag. once i get my gallon bag out it is just a matter of finding my color inside. the thing i like about this is i can always fit one more bag of soft plastics in a gallon bag and don't have to worry about reorganizing my tackle box. the only down side is if you are a non boater then you either have a bunch of bags or you have to pick and choose what you will take with you before even seeing the water conditions.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:04 PM   #21
Plitz
BassFishin.Com Member

I would need 20+ boxes to store all of my plastics so I put them in one of those big soft side tackle bags.I then could not find what I was looking for or forgot I had a size,color, Ect..... So I then organized all by style and throw them in gallon size freezer bags,I then put them back into the soft side.I know lug around 6 gallon sized bags plump full stuffed, inside the big bag weighing in around 30#'s lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_0120Image0001.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	1404  
Plitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:06 PM   #22
Plitz
BassFishin.Com Member

I was posting same time as carolina-rig-01 lol great minds think alike..
Plitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 09:56 PM   #23
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i am anal about oganization of baits.. i have mine sorted to types 4" worms, 6" worms, 8-10" worms,trick worms,lizards,finesse worms, bushhogs,and paca's,-every one of these is a plano box full of them differant colors..

zooker
I am glad I am not the only one with this (my wife calls it a compulsive disorder) type of organization. Everything is sorted by color, size and type.
Old 02-06-07, 10:12 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

yeah plitz, the gallon bag tactic is anything but fancy but it works really well for me. for someone who is just getting started or doesn't have a lot of soft plastics then just about anything would suffice, but i have a friggin ton of soft plastics in all different styles and colors. my problem is that i will make up my mind on what i want to use and then when i start digging i come across three or four other colors or styles that i start wondering about and this leads to a lot of second guessing and bait changing. when i am a non boater i take a soft sided tackle bag like the one you have and it works too. great minds do think alike!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-07, 10:13 PM   #25
NJBassDevil

I just organize it by what it is. I put cretures together, senkos together, and all the other baits. I have senkos and tubes in 3700 boxes becuase I have the most of them. I have a duffle bag that can perfectly fit 11 3700 and 3 3600. I dont have many creatures, finesse worms, or any other plastic that I put in a 3600 but its only my 3rd year bass fishing. I think I got a pretty good collection goin. I'm fishing my first tourny on March 10th. Cant wait for that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.