Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-07-11, 11:31 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Deep water jigging

When it comes to fishing a jig, I've mostly fished them in shallower water, either pitchin or casting depending on the situation. However, I havn't used jigs much in water deeper than 12 foot. Deep water jigging is something I just don't have much experience with. My question is this...what would be the most common way to retrieve a jig in deep water, say 15-25 foot deep? I'm thinking dragging it like a carolina rig would perhaps be the easiest way to work a deep water jig. A yoyo retrieve of hops could work. I know the adage of let the fish tell ya what they want. I just wonder for you guys who are experienced in deep water jigging, what is your most common retrieve? Which retrieve seems to work best for you most of the time?
Old 08-08-11, 12:01 AM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think dragging a Football Jig is probably one of the most popular ways of deep water fishing. I also don't do a lot of deep water jigging. But when we were down on Wilson & Wheeler, and when I wasn't fishing jigs in the trees , I was throwing my football jigs in deeper water.

BB
Old 08-08-11, 02:04 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

I fish jigs in deep water a lot and basically any presentation that you will use in shallow water will also work in deep water. The only thing is that keeping contact with the bottom is tougher so you may need to go to a heavier jig. Personally I like dragging a football head in areas that don't have a lot of rock but rather just have patches of it, like flats or gravel points. I also like bouncing the jig along the bottom and this can really help you keep from getting hung up in rocky areas as well as brush piles. Keep in mind that the deeper the water the more of an angle you are pulling the bait at. For instance if you hold your rod at 10 o'clock and hop a jig in both 10 feet of water and 30 feet of water you will pop the bait higher off the bottom in 30 feet of water because you are so much higher above the bait so smaller hops are required to get the same presentation that you would have in shallower water with bigger pops of the rod.

I hope that is worded where you can understand it because it's early in the morning and my head is groggy lol.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 07:05 AM   #4
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I fish jigs in deep water a lot and basically any presentation that you will use in shallow water will also work in deep water. The only thing is that keeping contact with the bottom is tougher so you may need to go to a heavier jig. Personally I like dragging a football head in areas that don't have a lot of rock but rather just have patches of it, like flats or gravel points. I also like bouncing the jig along the bottom and this can really help you keep from getting hung up in rocky areas as well as brush piles. Keep in mind that the deeper the water the more of an angle you are pulling the bait at. For instance if you hold your rod at 10 o'clock and hop a jig in both 10 feet of water and 30 feet of water you will pop the bait higher off the bottom in 30 feet of water because you are so much higher above the bait so smaller hops are required to get the same presentation that you would have in shallower water with bigger pops of the rod.

I hope that is worded where you can understand it because it's early in the morning and my head is groggy lol.
First off, good morning, lol. Groggy here too. The lakes I fish around here are all natural lakes, not man made impoundment. So there are no road beds, brush piles, standing tree groves, and so on. Primarily, the main cover is vegitation like milfoil and such, and lots of it. So I would be fishing the outer edges of the milfoil, drop offs, ect. I do get what you mean by the greater angle. Less rod movment than would be used in shallow water when hopping would be called for if I want a similar action. I just wasn't sure if hopping would be a good retrieve for deep water bass. I always thought of deep water bass being less agressive than their shalloweer counterparts.
Old 08-08-11, 12:23 PM   #5
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I like what I call an "In between retrieve". Its not hard bu its just a simple pop up or stroke about every 2 to 3 pulls or drags. Seems to be a good retrieve with denny brauers football jigs in prespawn or even late summer. Goodluck!!!
Old 08-08-11, 01:58 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
First off, good morning, lol. Groggy here too. The lakes I fish around here are all natural lakes, not man made impoundment. So there are no road beds, brush piles, standing tree groves, and so on. Primarily, the main cover is vegitation like milfoil and such, and lots of it. So I would be fishing the outer edges of the milfoil, drop offs, ect. I do get what you mean by the greater angle. Less rod movment than would be used in shallow water when hopping would be called for if I want a similar action. I just wasn't sure if hopping would be a good retrieve for deep water bass. I always thought of deep water bass being less agressive than their shalloweer counterparts.
My opinion is that at times of the year the deeper fish will be just as agresive or maybe even more agressive than shallow fish. They are down in cooler water which makes them a little less lethargic and as the baitfish move deeper there are more feeding oppertunities to keep them fired up. Hopping a jig in deep water isn't always the answer just as it isn't always the answer in shallow water but it certainly can be the answer at times.

Fair warning though, after you stick a couple of toads on a jig in deep water where nobody has found your fish it gets very addictive.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 06:02 PM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post

Fair warning though, after you stick a couple of toads on a jig in deep water where nobody has found your fish it gets very addictive.
I think thats the kind of addiction I can live with!
Old 08-08-11, 06:10 PM   #8
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

keitdog what every one said is about right. the only thing is I feel the bite more than see it in your line. i always go with jerks are free method. sems to work best for me

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.