Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-20-07, 01:03 PM   #1
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Jack plate ?

hello to all,,long time reader 1st time poster,,need help guy's ,,have a 06 stratos w/200 yamaha,,my ? is how do you figure out how far back to set engine,,,,4",,6". our goal is to improve handling and stop the chine walking.The dealer is very little help in this area for some reason. Thinking about talking to the stratos boy's about this but wanted to see what the real folks say.
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 07:00 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

what boat lenth?? if it is the 294 a 6 " manual jack plate which will set you back 5"-6" will work. you CAN NOT rid your self of the chin walk you have to learn to deal with it. some things WILL lessen it but it wont go away. you can't "drive thru it" you can only control it. trust me the faster you go the more hadlin issues you face..

zooker
Old 11-20-07, 07:25 PM   #3
JB

thats for sure, ya have to learn to run in between the waves on a typical Sunday around here, any other time you're just bustin' flat water, but most boats chyme walk some when you are full throttle
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 09:20 PM   #4
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Zooker and JB for the help. To answer your question Zooker, 19'6" 295 Pro XL. We love the boat, the fishablility, and the way it's laid out. The only gripe we have is the handling. Our last boat was a 20' Nitro and it was smooth as glass on tall water and flat. Thanks again.
Old 11-20-07, 09:29 PM   #5
zooker

295 my bad...

zooker
Old 11-20-07, 09:46 PM   #6
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

so zooker,by your post are you saying that a jack plate will do little to nothing for the handling? yeah i think stratos change the #'s around each yr, don't know for sure.
Old 11-20-07, 10:08 PM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a 285 with a 6" manual plate. There is some chine walk at WOT, but not bad so far. I am fixin' to get a 4 blade 25P though which many people say will help a lot. I will keep you posted when/if I have enough $ to get one and try it. Assuming you are running a 3 blade now, which is what the dealer fitted me with.
I'm really new with boat setup, just trying to share what I have learned so far.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 09:36 AM   #8
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks bender,the 285 is a 18'6 w/a 150 right? you are right about the three blade, it's a stock yamaha prop.Bender, like you, i'm new to the set-up thing also, whats worst is it seems the more folk's i talk to,the more confused i get!!! lol,.i know for a fact what zook is saying, that you can't drive out of it,dam near spun it out trying,it was a pucker moment i will check out the 4 blade suggestion. did you have the J.P. installed?, did it help w/ the handling?.We know the lump is sitting to deep, it's running 26-27 psi,i understand it should be around 15-17 psi. Thanks to all for the helpful info.
Old 11-21-07, 03:56 PM   #9
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Chine walk

I have an '04 Triton w/ 225 opti. Thought I would never be able to drive it over 63 or so. The way I learned was to run full throttle and bump the trim up a little at a time until it started to walk, hopefully not too much. You have to balance the boat on the pad and try to 'feel' when it is goint to one side or the other and correct with small inputs to the steering, almost bumps. When you are able to do that, add some more trim. You need to "drive way out in front of the boat" was how one guy put it. He could drive my boat 75 mph and you would think it was the tamest ride ever. At that point, I was almost tossing people out it was bucking so bad. Long story short, it takes seat time and more seat time. I figured it out and you will too. When you do you will know what I mean.

If you really get stuck, find somebody who can drive a similar model (it won't be hard, they will be passing you lol) and ask for help.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 06:28 PM   #10
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks foolishone, great advice,and it does take seat time. The sea star unit is sooo touchy, and being more old school than anything it is taking me awhile to get the feel for it, i am used to feed back through the wheel, now it's more the seat of your pants kinda thing. but hey,,,just another reason to get out there!! Thanks again!
Old 11-21-07, 10:16 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Default Chine or Prop washout?

Bassdaddy, 1st thing I would suggest would be a 10" jack plate, and the second thing would be 4 blade long rake prop (like the Trophy series) I would figure you are probably running a 25" P on your boat right now. The Stratos and the first Triton hulls are remnants of Earl Bentz Vortec hulls. They are very tempermental to say the least, but they can be tamed down and your top end can be maximized without having to "learn to drive through it". That term scares the heck out of me when I hear folks say that! lol! What I just suggested and finding that sweet spot on the jack plate is a process of pure patience. I would add the 10" Jack plate, then make my initial setup with the cone center set 3" below the plane of the pad. To establish this initial set up, on the trailer, raise your motor (remove the transom saver), then lower it down till it just hits the top of the actual "trim cylinder" (not the power tilt, but the fine tune trim cylinders). Then get you a straight edge that is about 6' long and snake up up under the boat right along the keel or center of the pad for about 1-2' (far enough that the other end is even with the cone of the lower unit). Now adjust your jack plate until it is about 3" below that straight edge line. Now go run it and see how it performs. If you have good water pressure and haven't exceeded your rpm limits, raise it some more (my rule a thumb for adjusting after running is up about 1/2" at a time or down in 1/4" increments), but be sure to do all of this with the boat loaded, tournament ready and a full tank of gas and have someone with you if you normally fish two people. You can raise it to the point that you quit gaining speed, start loosing water pressure, or over rev (don't worry these motors are designed to actually stand over revving up to about 300-400 rpms as long as you don't run it for long periods).
I know this is long winded, but I have never seen a boat that you could not adjust to run fast yet tame. If you cannot adjust it out then there is a flaw in the hull. Boat designers simply do not design hulls that are unsafe to operate, not intentionally.

Last edited by Bob Smith; 11-21-07 at 11:43 PM.
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 06:28 AM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishone View Post
I have an '04 Triton w/ 225 opti. Thought I would never be able to drive it over 63 or so. The way I learned was to run full throttle and bump the trim up a little at a time until it started to walk, hopefully not too much. You have to balance the boat on the pad and try to 'feel' when it is goint to one side or the other and correct with small inputs to the steering, almost bumps. When you are able to do that, add some more trim. You need to "drive way out in front of the boat" was how one guy put it. He could drive my boat 75 mph and you would think it was the tamest ride ever. At that point, I was almost tossing people out it was bucking so bad. Long story short, it takes seat time and more seat time. I figured it out and you will too. When you do you will know what I mean.

If you really get stuck, find somebody who can drive a similar model (it won't be hard, they will be passing you lol) and ask for help.
diffently seat time is needed.. every boat handles differant no question about it.. this balancin act is easy in some boats but more like WORK in others..

i have drivin an "A" boat over 95mph gps..it was not a pleasent experiance..as the boat handled like CRAP!..

zooker
Old 11-22-07, 08:02 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

I am with bob on needing the 10" plate on this particular bote and he described pretty well on how to get setup correctly. It does take time and patience to setup a bote. There is no Bolt on and done when it comes to optimizing a boat for performance. Even after the addition of the jack you have to as posted get in the seat and learn how to drive the boat. I dont care who makes the boat..........ALL boats will chine......some worse than others. Its the nature of the beast. Yes you have to learn how to balance the boat on the pad with very SMALL steering corrections. Any boat capable of 60 or more mph will chine. Havent in my 30+ years of setting up a boat seen one that didnt start to chine somewhere between 62 and 67 begin to chine and then it comes back in again somewhere around 73 or so. What you have to do is kinda time the point when the boat starts to roll right you steer ever so slightly steer left. Once you practice and master this it will become automatic and you wont even notice your doing this. That is the reason some folks can drive your boat faster than you have. they have learned how to balance a boat on the pad. Need anymore help just holler bud.
Old 11-22-07, 12:05 PM   #14
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks bob,zook and laser,and the rest, for all the spot on and great advice. i hope ya guy's know just how much help you've been to me as well as others on this site. well, decided to give a friend a call down on fork,steve @ steves custom props,he is a wiz ,so if'n ya need prop work of any kind give him a shout.ok,after a long talk, and his experience w/the 295's,we went with the 8" rapid jack,by the way the two of those guy's have seen this before w/ the 295 stratos,there is something different w/ these hulls that the 285's or the 201's don't seem to do as bad,it had something to do w/how fast all this start to happen all at once. well, some of it's the prop i'm turning, it the 25TI-151/8, ya see,the bow was drawing big ol smiley's in the air after getting up on the pad, mix in alot of skate'n in the rear,sprinkle w/the walk'n, and you have one squirrelly ride.and your right the rest is just seat time, we've only have had the boat for 3 mon.'s,but being retired,i've been out there almost everyday,it is rough but someone's gotta do it,lol...i wanted to give ya'll a BIG HAT TIP for all your help and great advice and a well earned,THANKS !!
Old 11-22-07, 12:05 PM   #15
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks bob,zook and laser,and the rest, for all the spot on and great advice. i hope ya guy's know just how much help you've been to me as well as others on this site. well, decided to give a friend a call down on fork,steve @ steves custom props,he is a wiz ,so if'n ya need prop work of any kind give him a shout.ok,after a long talk, and his experience w/the 295's,we went with the 8" rapid jack,by the way the two of those guy's have seen this before w/ the 295 stratos,there is something different w/ these hulls that the 285's or the 201's don't seem to do as bad,it had something to do w/how fast all this start to happen all at once. well, some of it's the prop i'm turning, it the 25TI-151/8, ya see,the bow was drawing big ol smiley's in the air after getting up on the pad, mix in alot of skate'n in the rear,sprinkle w/the walk'n, and you have one squirrelly ride.and your right the rest is just seat time, we've only have had the boat for 3 mon.'s,but being retired,i've been out there almost everyday,it is rough but someone's gotta do it,lol...i wanted to give ya'll a BIG HAT TIP for all your help and great advice and a well earned,THANKS !!
Old 11-22-07, 12:40 PM   #16
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Steve is good folk! Over on the TFF he is a very popular technical guy and the people that know him swear that he is the best in the biz. That 8" plate should help you a bunch, but it sounds, more and more, like the prop is going to be the major solution. If you can get Steve down to the ramp witha bunch of different props and prop styles that you guys can try out while you are there (adjusting the jackplate at the same time), my bet is in about an hour, maybe two, you will be running a lot better.
Old 11-22-07, 01:10 PM   #17
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

yes Bob he is da wiz,,and he did offer the use of a couple of props,he thought the 145/8 would be the best bet,,we will see.and let me add steve is one heck of a nice guy,and one of the few in the U.S. that can get those trophy props right.like i need one more excuse to head to fork....lol
Old 11-25-07, 12:41 PM   #18
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Check this out if it works it should help
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=134300
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 06:59 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

FANTASTIC vid the bud. Thats the kind of illustrations that I wish I could find more of to use as tutorals. Its always easier to explain with pics versus words alone.
Old 11-26-07, 11:00 PM   #20
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

yep...that is one great vid...thanks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.