Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-12-09, 04:37 PM   #1
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swimbait Rod and Reel Combos?

I ordered and read the book Big Bass Secrets that was recommended on this site. The authors name escapes me, sorry.

Anyways, swimbaits and massive 8" tubes seem to be the guy's big bass lures of choice in the San Diego area resevoirs and I'd like to give them a try. The Castaic swimbaits he uses look pretty slick. The ones I'm interested in seem to run about 1 - 4 oz and 4-8."
http://store.castaicswimbait.com/

For rods, this is what I have in mind.
http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1260648439176
http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1260648446114
http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1260649817563

I'm concerned the first one may be too light and the second one may be too heavy.

Any recommendations on reels?
I have a pair of NIB Abu Revo STX reels that I just purchased. One has a ratio of 7:1 and the other is 6.3:1. Is there any reason why I couldn't use one of those and match it up with some #12-17 fluoro? Many pics of people fishing swimbaits show people using round baitcasting reels like the Shimano Calcutta, but I prefer the lower profile reels.

What do you guys think? What do you own? What have you tried?
Other than using a few 1/4oz, 5" Yum Money Minnows, I'm completely new to swimbaits.

Thx

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 12-12-09 at 07:34 PM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 08:03 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I only have one swim bait. The TruTungstin 4" swim bait. I've been using a 6 1/2 foot MH power rod with a fast action and 17 pound mono. So far this has worked fine for me. But if I were throwing the larger swimbaits, I'd probably want a 7 foot heavy power rod and 20 pound line. Hopefully you'll get more responses as I am no expert on swimbaits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 03:03 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Beaver,

I throw my big san diego swimbaits on a Dobyn's 8' swimbait rod. I also have the 7'6" Powell Max rod as well.
I use Shimano Calcutta 400B for the reels. On the Dobyn's combo I throw 25lbs and 17lbs on the Powell.
I have thrown most rods designed for swimbaits and like the Dobyn's best. For reels I like the Calcuttas, but I think most bait casters will work.
Old 12-16-09, 08:32 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't know much about swimbaits, but I know this!

12lb is WWWAAAYYYY to light!! I wouldn't throw a swombait with anything lighter than 20lb.

If you like low profile bait casters, than check out a the larger revo reels, like the Toro, or Toro Winch! These things hold lots of line. The STX doesn't hold hold enough line, and if you're throwing a 3oz simwbait, with a 7'11" rod, you could very well run your spool out!

With a round reel, or toro branch reel, you won't have that problem.
Old 12-16-09, 10:36 AM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

12 lbs is only too light if your conditions won't work for it.
If you look at some of IndyMusky's posts, he uses line lighter than that has done just fine.
I go heavier because of the spots that I fish far more than the size of the bait.
I will say that it is important for you to re-tie regularly when you are tossing your bigger baits.
Old 12-17-09, 07:26 PM   #6
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bassboss, you're probably right. Even though I'm fishing Northern Strain bass in MN where a 5 pounder is a hog, it's likely I'll launch all my swimbaits to a watery grave with backlashes if I use #12 line. That said, I was leaning more toward #15-17 Trilene 100% Fluoro. That stuff is pretty tough.

I found this, the TackleTour Swimbait Wars rod comparison from 2008.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrodwarswrap.html

This is the one I have in mind to get my feet wet with small-med sized swimbaits. I would go with the MH and not the XH. It was voted best value and people seem to like them. Look at the handle. Pretty cool.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokuma711mhsb.html

Along with the Abu STX, I do have an almost new 2008 Shimano Citica 200 DSV that I may try on it at first before shelling out on a 400 Calcutta, which I'll probably end up doing anyway. The DSV reels have very deep spools. We'll see... Thx for the replies.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.