Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-27-12, 12:15 PM   #1
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Horny Toad

Anybody tried or use the Zoom horny toad? I have been eyeing them for a while and cant decide if I should stick with my spro frogs or branch out and try something new. Never fished with a frog like the horny toad before. What size and type of hook are best for this application? Thanks in advance.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 12:32 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the Horny Toads, but I prefer the RageTail frogs, which make more noise. I like these buzzfrog kind of lure more than the Spro type, but that's just a personal preference thing.
I use a 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG Superline hook. Some people prefer bigger, 4/0 or even 5/0, but I like the 3/0. Texas rig the frog like you would a worm or craw, run the hook out the back and let it lay flat, then do what's called "Tex-posing" it, where you barely skin hook the tip, so it stays weedless.
Old 04-27-12, 07:29 PM   #3
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I caught several on them before it got cold again. I use the Owner 4/0 with the screw plastic holder.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 07:52 PM   #4
jig fisherman

Try doing a search, there is a ton of info about these from a few years ago.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:00 PM   #5
Marty

I don't use them, but they're my partner's #1 topwater. He uses 5/0 hooks with a keeper. I fish Ribbits, also with a keeper hook and those keepers go a long way toward extending the life of the bait. These style of baits are great when you want something fast-moving on water that's a little too weedy for conventional buzzbaits.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:39 PM   #6
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. The 4/0 owner with the springlock looks like it sould work perfectly. Ill have to pick a few up and give them a try if it ever warms up here in the frosty NE
Old 04-27-12, 09:49 PM   #7
bassinbob

These are my favorite toad type baits. One of the original and one of the best. Not only are the great for fishing the slop, pads and any kind of surface clutter they are great for other methods also. They sink so you can let them dead fall into pockets as you retrieve them. They work good t-rigged and dead sticked. I have over 30 different brands of toads and these almost always come out on top. Now that's for me and I'm not in any way knocking any other brand. Any of the red or watermelon colors work good for me. I also have very good luck with black colors. For hooks my favorite is the Owner Beast with centering pin followed by the Zoom Horny toad hook and the Gammy Skip Gap. I like 5/0 but also use 4/0. A lot of guys find that if you miss a strike with one of these throw a Senko type bait to the spot for a second chance. I have found throwing the horny toad as many as 5 more times results in a second or third strike. If you do use them try to use the screw in hooks as they save a lot of baits. They cast great.
Old 04-27-12, 09:59 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

I go thru 15 bags a year.

Best bait ever..

I use a red 5/0 gammi wide gap and hook the frog in the tant. Some use a silver bead to deflect grass.

Capt Mike
Old 04-28-12, 08:13 AM   #9
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

That seals the deal! Thanks guys. I love froggin' and have been wanting to try something new other than the spro frogs. I bought darned near every one of those. It's an addiction. I never would have thought about letting them sink and fishing them that way. Awesome stuff guys!
Old 04-28-12, 08:16 AM   #10
lilmule

4/0 spring lock hook,at times they prefer the tail action of them to ribbets as they have paddle tails,remember to also give it some action popping rod tip and keep it elevated
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 08:42 AM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with mississippii boy, I prefer the Strike King Rage Tails as they have more action in the legs and create more surface commotion. The guys above covered the hook situation pretty well. One thing I will add is that a buzz frog like the Rage Tail or Horny Toad, does well in open water too! Especially if fished near cover. One issue often experienced by anglers using this type of frog is problems with the frog rolling over on it's back with the hook ridding upwards, or the frog might even spin durring retrieve. It's important to have that hook embedded into the frog perfectly straight. A couple years ago I watched a couple guys on tv using buzz frogs like the Horny Toad, and the were using a spring lock style hook, but with a 1/8oz weighted keel. You can buy the hooks with various weight sizes on the hook shaft, but they recommended the 1/8 oz weight. It completely ended the issue of the frog turning upside down durring the retrieve, and it did not interfear in any way with the retrieve. I've tried this type hook myself and it works very well for open water applications. I like the Mustad Power Lock Plus because the weight is movable up and down the shaft of the hook. However, if I'm working the toad right on the slop I use an unweighted hook. Lastly, working the frog on the bottom slowly does work, and I found out by accident. A couple years back I casted my frog back under a low hanging branch and got a nasty backlash. The frog just sat on the lake bottom while I spent 5 minutes clearing up the backlash. When I started to reel the lure back to the boat, there was a 5 pound bass attached to the other end. He had sucked it up while laying there motionless. That clicked on the lightbulb in my head real quick. lol
Old 04-28-12, 09:11 AM   #12
bassboogieman

And for my 2000th post........................

Quote:
A couple years ago I watched a couple guys on tv using buzz frogs like the Horny Toad, and the were using a spring lock style hook, but with a 1/8oz weighted keel. You can buy the hooks with various weight sizes on the hook shaft, but they recommended the 1/8 oz weight. It completely ended the issue of the frog turning upside down durring the retrieve, and it did not interfear in any way with the retrieve.
I was just going to say that, Keith really knows his stuff.............

I also use these BPS XPS crimp on weights. You can use any hook you like and just pinch on with pliers after you've rigged your frog, beaver whatever bait you're using. They also allow you to set the weight where you want on the hook, as with a fluke you can weight it for a nose first fall or horizontal fall, depending where you set the weight. The pre-weighted are fine too, and most brands offer them.

bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 03:03 PM   #13
3dkicker

Horny toads are great baits. 4/0 EWG Gammy Superline on braided line.....that's all you need. Make sure the rod has a decent backbone.....
Old 05-03-12, 12:57 PM   #14
b.a.s.17

I love this bait as well I use watermelon red and white mostly. I've had the best luck with the gamakatsu skip gap hooks 4/0 or 5/0 size
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 02:36 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
I love this bait as well I use watermelon red and white mostly. I've had the best luck with the gamakatsu skip gap hooks 4/0 or 5/0 size

On my boat the white horny toads are considered training frogs. I use them to show newbies how to make the frog work. After training I put on a darker frog and make the meditation triangle with my fingers and say "Imagine it is a training frog" "HHHMMMM and now exhale deaply"...

It works..in a Zen kinda way.

Capt Mike
Old 05-03-12, 08:23 PM   #16
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
On my boat the white horny toads are considered training frogs. I use them to show newbies how to make the frog work. After training I put on a darker frog and make the meditation triangle with my fingers and say "Imagine it is a training frog" "HHHMMMM and now exhale deaply"...

It works..in a Zen kinda way.

Capt Mike
Beeee theeeee frooooogggggg.....

Toad, sorry tooooooaaaaadddd...
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 11:42 PM   #17
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Capt. Mike, that is great. Step up to the big boy spro frog. I love the spro and booyah frogs. I got a chance yesterday to try the horny toad and I have to say, it is different, but I can certainly see the advantages/ differences and how this bait could catch some big bass
Old 05-05-12, 07:22 PM   #18
Captmikestarrett

Only takes one Potomac Pike and the spro frog is toast.. hooks bent and holes punched right thru it.

Capt Mike
Old 05-06-12, 05:01 PM   #19
Bassboss

Great frogs! I really like them around sparser vegetation before the mats are start carpeting the lake. As soon as the weeds start getting to thick for buzzbaits, I'll start chucking a horny toad. After the grass is to thick for them where the legs can't really kick up much water, then I start using a frog like a Spro!

Good fishin to ya!
Old 05-10-12, 11:20 AM   #20
DVT Mike

I have good luck with the Zooms. Rigging them with a slight bow in the back helps keep them upright and running true.
Old 08-27-12, 12:53 PM   #21
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

Just gave the Zoom Horny Toad a serious effort this last weekend.

3/0 Gama EWG, t-rigged. White toad.

I got a couple of sparse hits/hookups buzzing it on the top, over mats, holes, and edges.

I thought the toads just weren't going to work that day... then I figured them out.

Working the horny toad just under the surface of the water, with a small wake... I received the most violent topwater smash I've ever witnessed. Hookup (small guy, but the strike really could have had me fooled for a 5+ lber).

Tried it again in the same area, another smash.

Over and over again... 5 fish on a single toad before throwing it out and grabbing another color of horny toads (watermelon crawfish) caught 6 more on a single toad.

These are awesome frogs and can be fished successfully at different speeds.
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-12, 10:49 PM   #22
bassinbob

Imagine yourself on a lake. A lake so peaceful and calm. You are alone on the water. The sun is just starting to break over the horizon. Suddlenly straight up ahead you cast to a target. Your quarry breaks the surface. You slam the hook home. You have just entered the Toad light zone.
Old 08-27-12, 11:26 PM   #23
Jrob78

hahahaha, I like it Bob, that's exactly where I want to be right now!
Old 08-28-12, 10:53 AM   #24
flfireman

Not a fan of horny toads, too much plastic in the mid section. I use the Ribbits predominantly, thinner body, more action, also like the rage tails. Use a 4 or 5 wide gap, just starting using the double frog hook, really like that and has improved my hook up ratio. Plus they are flexible enough to tweak depending on the width of the frog body.
Old 09-04-12, 11:58 PM   #25
Rebbasser

Great bait. I've caught a bunch just chunking and winding-straight retrieve.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.