Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-10-12, 06:23 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A Time to Grow......Mac (jigging)

Now I know there are more 'jiggers' than 'flukers' around here so let's give this a try.
I am going to for-warn everyone, I WILL HAVE QUESTIONS!

Let's start with types of jigs you prefer. Not Brand, types. If you want to share brands that's fine too.

So to start the sinker rolling....

What style jig do you most frequently throw? Football, finesse, swim, etc. and as always the 'whys'!
What size jigs do you prefer?
We covered skirts already but if you can only have ONE color, what color would that be? Why?
What is your most unique thing you feel you do when jigging that helps you increase the 'bite'? Put more fish in the boat.

Now a little reminder, these questions are MEANT to START the conversation. They are not all inclusive.
Next this is the spot to ask YOUR questions too, not just mine!

So let's see how this works....and if you think you can hide from me your wrong cause I KNOW 'who's' making jigs around here and I know you don't just wake up one morning and say,"Hey, I think I'll run out and invest in a bunch of molds, skirting material, paint, clear coat, epoxy....., cause I'm bored and the monkey always needs a target."

I know a lot of you will be thinking, jig? What's there to know, tie it on, let it sink, drag or hop it back.

This is 'A' way to fish them but just a feeling, Denny Bauer doesn't feel the same.

There are DEFINITLY things that YOU do that makes YOUR jigging different then the angler next to you.
Also, you may feel everyone knows and does what you know. Well if anyone else is like me, the more anglers I know are doing the same thing, the more CONFIDENCE I get doing the same thing.

If your a site 'quest' and reading this, have a question, join and ask and join the FUN!
Have an idea, join the site, share and have some fun!
Want to agree with someone, join the site and have some fun!

In the mean time....Everyone have the very best day YOU possible can, PLEASE.
Old 11-10-12, 08:20 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Joe I've been devoted to catching bass for well over 40 years, and until I joined this site and only in the past year have I really thought much about jigs. Sure I always had 4 or 5 in one of the bottom drawers of my tacklebox and a jar of pork frogs, but only tied one on in very specific circumstances. Cold water to fish really slow down a steep point or I'd use one to feel the bottom to see exactly what was going on down there.

Last year while reading and searching the forums I noticed how many views and responses any thread concerning jigs generated. So I decided to learn all I could about the whole jig deal, in order to do that whenever I found fish in any situation other than suspended or busting topwater, I started throwing a jig at them. Guess what? A bass will eat a jig in warm water- around the wood- in the weeds -in the rocks- fished slow- fished fast- hopped- jerked- with or without a trailer- on windy days- on calm days -at night-at noon-on the hop-on the drop -when they're active-when they're not. A little sad when I think back over all the years how many more and better fish I could have caught if I had only known.

Here's a closing case in point. Over the past 3 years I've sunk hundreds of Christmas trees in carefully placed brushpiles in the lake I lease. Before I started throwing jigs I'd usually work those piles with a weightless senko or trick worm or the occasional TR curly tail with a bullet weight (for the deeper ones) and usually enjoyed good results. When I started working those piles with a jig, well I'm not sure how to explain it, let's just say that I felt more like a surgeon than an intern. (also the avg weight of my b.pile fish increased)

On any given day the following is a likely setup.
1/8-1/4 bitsy bug type in watermelon or brown with 3" crazy legs chigger craw on 10-14 FC with a Mh to H rod and a softer tip than I use for worming.
Old 11-10-12, 09:39 AM   #3
joedog

Ken thank you!
I too am a late beginner.
Now I used a lot of 1/32 jig heads crappie fishing (almost exclusively) but bass fishing I always figured jigs were for punching mats and seeing I loved frogging, I rarely punched.
You came to the same conclusion, anytime, any place any weather, I now have at least one jig setup, often a couple.
This year I fished jigs MORE than plastic worms for first time that I remember in a real long time. I found them to really be almost the most versatile baits I own, and ya I own a lot of baits!

Ken, you bare heading the jigger craw or skirting them with jigger?
Old 11-10-12, 12:28 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ken thank you!

Ken, you bare heading the jigger craw or skirting them with jigger?
Thread um on. Plus I'm partial to thinning the skirts. and sometimes scent and sometimes rattles and sometimes I spit Red Man juice on um
And I know this sounds crazy but I've also been playing around with various organic trailers....strips of mullet guts....strips of bluegill fillets (to include the skin and shaped like a pork chunk).....and my two favorites so far..... little 3" chunks of freshwater mussel flesh (harvested from the water I'm fishing) and......simply a brown store bought cricket impaled on the hook (only good for a cast or two, but hey)

See_________you're not the only overthinker, at least after much thought I don't think you are.
Old 11-10-12, 01:07 PM   #5
joedog

Thanks Ken!
Old 11-11-12, 11:37 AM   #6
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One jig I fish quite often is made with a splitshot on a number four jig hook, the splitshot crimped on at the 90 degree bend of the hook. I tie on 8 strands of silicone leg material just behind the lead head and in the center of the silicone so there is the same amount of leg in front and behind. I add a couple strands of flashabou and tie off using red thread.
Tipped with a small white grub it catches rainbow trout, and largemouth bass.....tipped with a live minnow it works on smallmouth and with no tipping, crappie. My best jigs have the jughead powder painted with chartreuse and tied with two strands of white for the belly, two amber for the flanks and 4 chartreuse strands for the upper back. Even though it looks under-tied and barren, the strands are all moving extremely well......
Old 11-13-12, 12:24 AM   #7
merc1997

i just fish one jig in all things from rocks, to brush, to vegetation. this jig is also a great swim jig.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 05:48 AM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Now I know there are more 'jiggers' than 'flukers' around here so let's give this a try.
I am going to for-warn everyone, I WILL HAVE QUESTIONS!
It's funny you say that.My basic search pattern is to have a fluke and a jig tied on to help figure out the presentation that the fish want for the day.

Let's start with types of jigs you prefer. Not Brand, types. If you want to share brands that's fine too.

So to start the sinker rolling....

What style jig do you most frequently throw? Football, finesse, swim, etc. and as always the 'whys'!

A bullet head or asprin head jig.once in a while a football leadhead with a spider grub on it. where there is current a bare jighead with a baby paca craw on it.

What size jigs do you prefer?

I like to start with a 1/2 ounce jig.It's heavy enough to get a reaction strike but light enough to basically fish every situation with.Once you catch a few fish,then you can determine their mood and adjust the weight accordingly.

We covered skirts already but if you can only have ONE color, what color would that be? Why?

My choice would be black. You can add a different colored trailer to get a contrast that would work in every light/water color conditions.

What is your most unique thing you feel you do when jigging that helps you increase the 'bite'? Put more fish in the boat.

I allow the jig enough time when presenting it to generate a strike.Often you see people pitch a jig and in a few seconds retrieve it and make another pitch.The jig is retrieved before the fish makes up its mind to bite it.You need to allow the fish to bite, once you catch a few fish,then you can adjust your presentation accordingly.I like jigs that contrast in color, that is why black and blue works well, it contrasts for different light and water clarity conditions.Black and red works as well but it's not as popular for whatever reason.I seldom match trailer /skirt color for that reason.

I know a lot of you will be thinking, jig? What's there to know, tie it on, let it sink, drag or hop it back.

The only wrong way to fish a jig or any lure for that matter is to try to dictate how your going to present the lure.You need to change your presentations to find out what works for the day and key in on what is happening and what the fish want for a presentation and you will catch fish rather than swim your lures.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 02:08 PM   #9
joedog

Default Want to clarify thread

My questions were a starting point, not inclusive.
Anyone and everyone is invited to ask ANYTHING or share ANY idea relating to jigs.
These threads are meant to be a single spot to find jigging ideas or fluking or what ever is in the title.
Old 11-25-12, 02:28 PM   #10
pig n jig

Quote:
My questions were a starting point, not inclusive.
Anyone and everyone is invited to ask ANYTHING or share ANY idea relating to jigs.
These threads are meant to be a single spot to find jigging ideas or fluking or what ever is in the title.
I took it as that.I quoted your post so that I could answer the questions you had without re-typing everything you had already written. I'm sorry if you thought any different.I should have quoted each answer you had but I didn't take the time to do that.I can edit or even delete my post if you would like ?
Old 11-26-12, 05:54 AM   #11
joedog

Ivan, you did nothing wrong at all and my post just happened to follow yours. It wasn't aimed at your post. Thank you very much for your great input, it's appreciated greatly!
My timing is usually faulty and if I in anyway sounded unappreciative, I'm the one that should apologize, not you!
Sorry!!

I look forward to your input always.
You have a lot of great insight and knowledge!
Again, my apologies!!!
Old 11-27-12, 10:31 AM   #12
merc1997

my personal thought about jigs is that are still a fishing tool not fully utilized to its full potential. only just recently the "shakey" head craze has started. but, the truth is, fishing worms on jig heads is really something from "yesteryear". worms were predominantly fished on jig heads until the t-rig craze started. the t-rig will always have its place, but fishing any kind of plastic behind a jighead can be much more effective. jigs can be not only crawled across the bottom, but hopped. many people do not utilize hopping a t-rig either. jigs can be fished at mid-depths. this can be achieved by counting your lure down, and with practice, can be fished all the way to the boat at the same depth. in my opininion, a jig would be the fishing tool i would choose, if limited to just one. a spinner bait would be a close second. i know many bassers now are predominately crankbait fisherman now days it seems. crankbaits are great tools also, but have limits. jigs just do not seem to have any limitations as to the many ways they can be used.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-12, 03:46 PM   #13
3dkicker

I like a 3/8 oz with a 3/0 or 4/0 extra wide gap hook. Woo used to make one that I really liked and Green Top stopped selling them. I always swapped out the skirt and went with Dave's Tournament Black/blue skirt. Lately I've been adding a Power Team Texas-Rig Jig in the black/blue swirl. Dave makes a jig similar to what Woo used to have. Looks like this but with the EWG.

here's the Power Team trailer

Now as to why I use this combo. One they're easy to pitch under docks. Two they don't hang up in brush piles that often. When they do I can usually work them out without going in and busting up the area. And Three....I've caught many nice bass on them in all different situations cold/warm/clear/muddy etc.
Only issue I have is that the trailer will sometimes slide around and get caught on the hook. The body is very soft and doesn't hold up as long as I would like but it does work.
Old 12-02-12, 08:20 AM   #14
pig n jig

Hey 3D,I use to use the Woo stinger jig a lot.I thought strikezone lures made them but can't find them anymore ? I just bought 3 jigs from Merc, they may work the very same as the Woo jig.I'm headed to pond to swim them and get the trailer style figured out, if the pond is not iced over,I'm hoping the rain/wind took it off yesterday.

My friend Jeff and I messed around with making a jig, they work real good but honestly you can buy some real nice jigs at a great price off from the internet.My favorite heavy cover jig is the All terrain tackle grassmaster jig.For $2.99 ,you will be hard pressed to find a better jig in that price range.
Old 12-04-12, 05:53 AM   #15
pig n jig

Here is a pic of some of the jigs I my friend and I was making.Like I said, in my opinion, you can buy jigs cheap without building them yourself.

Not every jig design works well for every type of terrain or structure.Buy a few different type jig head designs and learn to use them to better suit your presentation. If you limit yourself to just one jig design, you might be missing a better design for a specific presentation that you often find yourself using.
Old 12-04-12, 06:31 AM   #16
pig n jig

Here are some of the trailers I use for jigs.There are more but I didn't dig a lot out ,It gets sort of crazy because I just don't buy just one trailer color,I like to contrast trailer colors with skirt color.I am probably wrong in doing so but bad habits are hard to break.

Old 12-04-12, 08:24 PM   #17
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Hey 3D,I use to use the Woo stinger jig a lot.I thought strikezone lures made them but can't find them anymore ?

My favorite heavy cover jig is the All terrain tackle grassmaster jig.For $2.99 ,you will be hard pressed to find a better jig in that price range.
Dave's Tournament makes a similar one to Woo's. I only found one last year at the show so I need to get there a little earlier this year before he sells out.

I tried to work a deal with AT and sell their Grassmaster. Very weird conversation and they referred me to a friend of mine who was their distributor in VA. Price they wanted me to sell the bait was $1 over retail. Didn't see that as a good selling point so I went with a local company.
Old 12-05-12, 06:53 AM   #18
pig n jig

Here is a Woo jig.I use them with mono instead of braid because of the thin wire of the wide gap hook.
Old 12-05-12, 12:17 PM   #19
lilmule

Im not fancy with jigs,dunk it in a cup of irish coffee( I dont drink it just use it external),they hang on to it longer then have numb lips.
Cant seem to get bubblegum pink ones so have to change the skirts.
Yes around bridges and lilly pads where else.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 03:03 PM   #20
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Here is a Woo jig.I use them with mono instead of braid because of the thin wire of the wide gap hook.
Yep that's them. I don't know who's skirt they used on his jig but I always change it out when I use it. I don't like the material for some reason. I think I may have one with the skirt still on.
Old 12-05-12, 05:11 PM   #21
joedog

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great input
Old 12-05-12, 08:34 PM   #22
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Im not fancy with jigs,dunk it in a cup of irish coffee( I dont drink it just use it external),they hang on to it longer then have numb lips.
Cant seem to get bubblegum pink ones so have to change the skirts.
Yes around bridges and lilly pads where else.

Around wind blown banks, creek channels,break off from a spawning flat, docks or any peice of structure or laydown tree in between. Inside and outside and throughout weedy areas.If they ain't bitin' close to shore, move in and turn around and cast the jigs to deeper water.Sometimes I cast them clear to shore and then drag them into the water.The only place I don't fish a jig is around pontoon boats. You ever hear the noise from a jig that just smacked off the side of a hollow aluminum pontoon ?Even the next door neighbors will look to see whats going on.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.