Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-16-06, 01:42 PM   #1
usamarshal
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Outboard Problems...

I have a 1992 Evinrude XP 200 hp outboard. I've been running the engine with no problems since I bought it in July. I've added new gas lines, filter, fuel valve, clamps, etc... which helped get fuel to the engine much better. The problem I'm having now is that I can't get any spark to the spark plugs. There is power getting to everything that I can see...checked it with the volt meter...and the wiring looks fine. Tried for an hour to start it up, but nothing. After checking for any faulty lines, etc... my buddy and I decided to try starting it again...started right up...turned motor off to get the items I needed to winterize the boat...tried turning it on again and no spark...anybody have any ideas of why I can't get a spark? Motor is turning over fine and there is fuel in the cyclinder....checked plugs for a second time to see if there was a spark, nothing. I'm at a loss here...I know its probably something stupid, but just can't figure it out...thanks for any assistance, Skip
usamarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 09:37 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not a mechanic, but try taking off the plug wires, and see if you are getting spark to them, if you are, then I would replace the plugs. Otherwise, someone else may have a idea, but if it's cranking, the celenoid could also be a problem, or a short. Perhaps a mechanic should be called, or one of the moter heads here can help you, if not try this site. wwwbassboatcentral.com

Lizards
Old 10-16-06, 09:50 PM   #3
Rebbasser

Welcome to the forum!

I'm with Lizards-I'd ask that at bassboat central. Our resident engine guru hasn't been around much lately and all I know about outboards is I don't know a lot about outboards .
Old 10-17-06, 08:38 AM   #4
usamarshal
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys....thanks for the replys and assistance...I did check the plugs...no spark to them...there is only one selenoid and that is for the starter I believe...so maybe it is a faulty relay...I'm going to check the wiring again just to make sure...I'll definitely check out that website though...thanks again, Skip
usamarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 05:29 PM   #5
zooker

yeah just be careful as you check test the plugs or firing coil.. think stun gun to the hand..ouch..

zooker
Old 10-17-06, 05:44 PM   #6
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

This is going to sound stupid, but check your kill switch. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 05:51 PM   #7
pig n jig

Seafoam Deep creep cleans as it fogs your cylinders for winterizing.The stuff is pretty good, even works as starting fluid. I use it on everything from the boat to the snow blower. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-06, 08:15 PM   #8
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

not stupid..i seen it many times.i was just going to suggest the kill switch till i saw your post.or maybe a bad connection at the switch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.