Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-08, 02:46 PM   #1
patchino22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boat Ramp Etiquette

I was reading a post just a second ago about a fellas experience at the boat ramp and it made me think about a situation I encountered at the boat ramp this past weekend. I wanted to get everyones take on what the proper ettiquete of putting in is. What I am referring to is when you are lined up behind other vehicles and waiting to put the boat in the water. Who has the right of way? Allow me to present a scenario.....

There are four slips to put boats in. Some boats are coming in off the water.....others are lined up to put their boats in the water. 3 slips are occupied while there is 1 slip with a guy and a boat waiting for his buddy to pull up the trailer. I am the first truck in line to put my boat in the water. Do I wait for one of the 3 occupied slips to open up? Or do I pull in and put my boat in the slip where the guy and the boat are waiting for the trailer (boat is secured at the end of the dock and out of the way, there are several vehicles lined up and waiting)?

I havent been in this situation too many times and didnt really know what the proper thing to do was......so I put my boat in the slip where the guy and the boat were waiting for the trailer........they were a little irritated. But my thought was that the sooner I put in, the sooner he would be able to get his boat out. What's everyones take on this? Is there a rule of thumb to follow?
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 03:22 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My take is that you did the right thing, you were the next vehicle in line for the next open ramp slip.
keeping things moving along is the proper etiquette.
If you had waited, someone lined up behind you may have taken the spot.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 03:27 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if there is a guy in the boat that is tied up to the dock then there should be no reason for them to tie up to the dock. he could have just idled out into the cove and waited for the guy to back his trailer down. i say you were in the right and they should learn some manners themselves. why tie up to a dock and take up a ramp when you don't have to!? i had the same thing happen to me this summer with a weekend warrior playboater and we exchanged some words over the deal. i know that they have rights to the water too and in my case nobody won the arguement but it was just a lack of respect on their part. there was a bunch of guys wanting to load up and a bunch wanting to put in and these idiots had the whole thing screwed up. some people have no business driving a boat much less pulling a boat to the lake. anyways.....from the way it sounds i would say you were right and i would have done the same thing.
Old 10-08-08, 03:35 PM   #4
Bender

I found out this morning that in Michigan the "law" states that boats going into the water have the right-of-way over boats coming out. I didn't know that, but we had a charity event going on and were taking 15-20 boats out of a one lane ramp and the locals waiting to put in got really PO'd. The guy running the event got in an argument with the locals and afterward he told me that the locals were actually right, but being jerks about it.
On those small ramps I think you have to play it by ear and keep things moving which includes prepping and unstrapping your boat while waiting in line.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 03:44 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
keep things moving which includes prepping and unstrapping your boat while waiting in line.
good point.........nothing makes me more upset than some idiot waiting until they have the ramp blocked before they take the cover off the boat, then the passenger puts his rods and boxes in the boat, then they unstrap the boat and put the plug in. then they back it on into the water only to find the motor won't turn over "well the batteries were fine last summer when i used the boat last so i didn't think i needed to charge them" says the "boater". so the take the cowl off the motor and tinker around for a while. all the while they are blocking the ramp, man now i am mad just thinking about it lol.
Old 10-08-08, 04:15 PM   #6
BassinBandit

You did the right thing they should idle out like rig-01 said, He shouldnt be tied up to the dock, Plus his trailer should be waiting in line just like everyone else has to. Even behind boats that are putting in. Drives me nuts when I am at the dock and see that happening. I just want to scream at them.
Old 10-08-08, 04:27 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

All this boat traffic jam reminds me of I-65 around Birmingham during rush hour and all the merging of the on ramps. It looks like the ignorant have boats as well.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 05:00 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
All this boat traffic jam reminds me of I-65 around Birmingham during rush hour and all the merging of the on ramps. It looks like the ignorant have boats as well.

yeah they do! and the thing of it is, everyone can be using common sense and doing the right things and then one jackass gets in there and screws it all up and the every one is pissed at everyone else.
Old 10-08-08, 05:19 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
yeah they do! and the thing of it is, everyone can be using common sense and doing the right things and then one jackass gets in there and screws it all up and the every one is pissed at everyone else.
man, you don't even know what the %@#& you're talking about. don't you have any common sense, geez.
Old 10-08-08, 08:56 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most of the places we fish have one place to put the boat in. There is normaly not more than 4 people waiting to put in or get out at the same time. But if there's someone at the dock waiting to get out of the water, then we wait and let them. I've seen people waiting to put in wait for four boats ot get out before they got their boats on the water.

I guess it just depends on the boat ramp setup. (and how nice of a person you are. )

BB
Old 10-08-08, 09:37 PM   #11
Fishnngolfn

Put people behind a grocery cart and they are polite and courteous when encountering another person pushing a cart. Put them behind the wheel of a car or a boat and they turn into Mr. Hyde.
Old 10-08-08, 09:53 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Put people behind a grocery cart and they are polite and courteous when encountering another person pushing a cart. Put them behind the wheel of a car or a boat and they turn into Mr. Hyde.
sounds like you haven't been to wal-mart in a while.
Old 10-08-08, 10:05 PM   #13
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
sounds like you haven't been to wal-mart in a while.
My wife does the shopping at Walmart. When I go, it is only for movies, video games, or fishing stuff. I never get a basket and always check out in the garden center or video area.
Old 10-08-08, 10:31 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
man, you don't even know what the %@#& you're talking about. don't you have any common sense, geez.
did i miss something?
Old 10-08-08, 10:49 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
yeah, you missed it.
Old 10-09-08, 01:08 AM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
yeah, you missed it.
lol alright man i get it.
Old 10-09-08, 09:43 PM   #17
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

Believe me Patchino, you did the right thing. Especially if this guys buddy is still in line behind you waiting for a clear shot. I see this all the time at our tournaments. When it is time to weigh in, the other boaters on the lakes are usually starting to come out also. Many tie up the boat right in front of the ramp with the entire family in it, just waiting for dad to come back with the trailer. It can really cause issues. Many don't even bother to tie up on the outside of the walk way which would leave the approach to the ramp clear. It is absolutely mind blowing when people act like they are the only ones left on earth!
This brings up another subject though. How many times have you been at the ramp laughing your hind end off because of the things that people do? Mom and Dad get into it over the way one of them is backing the trailer in or putting the boat on and the kids are stuck in the middle. I am sure you know what I am talking about. I actually watched a couple get into it as they were taking the boat out one afternoon and the wife who was backing the trailer in got so mad at the husband ( who may have had one too many) that she opened the truck door got out slammed it and started walking. By the way the trailer still had 8 feet to go before it hit the water. I never did see them in the truck together after I got off the water. Sad but I truly was having one of my better laughs! What's your stories.
bhfishman
Old 10-09-08, 10:29 PM   #18
flfireman

with 2 people I don't see a problem. Im set up before I back in. Pull up, back up, float boat, undo rope, tie up to shore or dock, pull out. When rushed I can do this by myself in about 2-3 minutes. Im going fishing, I really don't care if somebody is irritated. If there is an open slip and it's my turn to go, Im going.
Old 10-09-08, 10:34 PM   #19
bamabassman

hahaha, i HEAR YA FLFIREMAN. I',M WITH YA ON THIS ONE PAL.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 10:21 AM   #20
patchino22

Thanks for all the responses fellas. I really appreciate it.

FlFireman--my sentiments exactly.....I am all business when getting on the water. I get in the zone. I still get all gitty when I am putting in. It doesnt get much better than knowing you are about to embark on another adventure on the water......nothing can get me down at that point.
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:38 AM   #21
Rebbasser

Sounds like you were in the right. The guy waiting for the trailer should have moved out and not blocked the ramp, especially if his buddy was waiting in line. I try to take as little time as possible launching or trailering-have it ready to go before I back it down, and pull out of the way when readying it for trailering.

If you want to get some great laughs take a lawn chair and sit by a popular ramp on the of the 3 times of the year I won't take the boat out: Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor day. These are when the 3-timers-as in 3 times a year-go, and it can be hilarious.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.