Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-01-09, 07:05 PM   #1
richrob424
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Just saying hello

I am just picking up the line again. I have been fishing with nightcrawlers and only landing good size bluegill. I would like to start catching bass. I live in northwest Virginia. There is the Shenandoah River which I fish often. There is also Lake Frederick which I also fish. I have caught alot of dink small mouth. One fish was decent but nothing to write home about. I would really like some suggestions. Thanks for looking. OH BTW... I am using a Ugly Stick with a Shakespeare (open,spinning) reel. Thanks again.
richrob424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 07:42 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the site richrob!

Most of us here started out like you and went on to the plastic worm texas rigged. Get you some 3/16 ounce bullet sinkers, some grape or purple worms from zoom or culprit or any brand you prefer, throw it out and wait for a tick feeling that comes through the line and watch to see if the move moves, then set the hook hard. Get a variety of 2/0 or 3/0 hooks. Have fun and ask away if ya need suggestions, post pictures of fish caught too
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 08:02 PM   #3
nofearengineer

JB forgot to tell you there are some great fishing videos on this site if you need help! Welcome to the boards!
Old 07-01-09, 08:04 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome aboard man as mentioned above Kevin's videos on the main page of the site are top notch , and like Jb said you can't go wrong starting with a plastic worm , I would also consider grabbing a couple spinnerbaits and maybe a crankbait or two .

Jim
Old 07-01-09, 10:23 PM   #5
keithdog

Welcome aboard Rich. Good advice above. I'd also be sure to pick up a couple Rapala X Raps. They can be deadly on both largemouths and smallies.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 10:33 PM   #6
bcklash

Welcome Richrob, you will learn bass fishing on this site. A lot of good people on here.
Old 07-01-09, 11:02 PM   #7
bamabassman

welcome to the house of nuts pal. kick off yer shoes and have fun.
Old 07-02-09, 07:47 PM   #8
woody

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 10:53 PM   #9
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

Welcome aboard Rich.

In this part of Va. I have had some luck with the Strike King Red Eyes in 1/2 oz. Both the Sexy Shad and the Chrome Sexy Shad. Also a white with a little blue or black with a little red spinnerbait. And my all time favorite is anything Zoom makes in Watermelonseed.

Hope this helps You out some.
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 07:57 AM   #10
richrob424
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I plan on going out sunday morning so I will give you a update. I have been watching all the information videos. I am excited to try the drop shot technique. It seems like it might be up my alley since I dont know how to work a jig or spinner.
Old 07-03-09, 11:02 AM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrob424 View Post
It seems like it might be up my alley since I dont know how to work a jig or spinner.
Spinnerbaits are easy for the most part just cast and reel it back in giving it a little twitch every now and again. Jigs can be dragged along the bottom , hopped and worked in some many other ways but then again the only way to learn to use them is to tie one on and cast it out and just get used to how the lure feels in the water and bumping along the bottom on the retrieve back to you .

Jim
Old 07-03-09, 04:08 PM   #12
Cavs1123

a weightless texas rigged 5 inch yum dinger in watermelon candy works great for me. use a 2/0 or 3/0 worm hook. let it fall for 15 seconds, give it a couple twitches and repeat. wait for a tap on the line or watch for line movement, then drop the rod tip and set the hook hard. enjoy the fight
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 08:30 AM   #13
richrob424
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys. Finally caught some decent size bass this sunday. My fishing buddy and I rented a canoe and floated 7 miles down the Shenandoah River. We had two dozen minnows. On the first cast I landed a 2lb. small mouth. We knew it was going to be a good day. It seems the fish were hungry. We ran out of minnows almost half way through. Started rigging some Rapla divers. Caught the largest bass of my life. I think together we caught 30 bass, 4 carp, and many bluegill. Thanks for all the tips here and I think Im going out this afternoon.
Old 07-07-09, 11:16 PM   #14
nofearengineer

Congratulations on the great float trip! Sounds like a blast (I am jealous).

Just curious...what did you catch the carp on? I've never caught them on an artificial before.
Old 07-09-09, 07:21 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome! Can I call you Reyotch?
Old 07-18-09, 10:03 PM   #16
3dkicker

You need to find a few spots on the Potomac river to wade. Also some of the streams and creeks in the area hold some nice smallies and surprisingly largemouths. Watch out for the VA silver trout cuz they'll attact those crawlers too.
Baits to try. Small 4" worms, small crankbaits, and spider jigs or craws and that should get you going.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.