Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-11, 05:05 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Pouring plastics?

Anyone here pour there own plastics? I'm thinking this would be a good way to save money on plastics I use allot like senkos, craws, and creature baits like beavers, and baby brush hogs. Where's the best place to by molds though? I've looked at Jann's Netcraft, and Mud Hole, neither one had a very good mold selection. However Net Craft had good color dye, glitter, and plastisol it seemed.

Who's got the best plastisol? Do they very much from brand to brand?

And how much to you save by pouring your own plastics? About how many baits can get from a 1 quart container (which seem to run about 20 bucks)?

Ant tips in general?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-27-11, 05:36 PM   #2
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am very interested in pouring my own Senko type baits.
Old 07-27-11, 06:19 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

bear baits and caney creek are a couple of the nicer mold company's out there, Del-Mart also has a good selection. You will not save yourself any money pouring your own baits. By the time you buy the molds, injectors, coloring, glitter, and all of the other stuff you will need to pour your own baits, it is much more economical to just buy them from a retail store or find someone to custom pour what you want.
Old 07-27-11, 07:56 PM   #4
Marty

I used to pour a few baits some years ago. For purchasing equipment, I'd include Lurecraft in the companies you look at.

http://www.lurecraft.com/content/

I'm not sure if the money savings are significant, although it can vary depending on the type of lures that you pour. However, there's a lot of satisfaction derived from catching fish on your own lures.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 08:38 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd personally stay away from Net Craft's molds. I've heard horror stories of people being burned with them. While it can happen with any mold and you're putting 350* melted plastic under pressure, I've heard about more burns from the NetCraft stuff.

In the long run, you probably will save money on the baits, especially if you save the old torn up ones to remelt and repour. However, like many tackle making things, you're looking at a high start up cost. Bears Baits, Del-Mart, LureCraft, and Basstackle.com all carry molds which range from $30 to $200+. This, plus an injector, plastisol, dye, flakes, etc. means you'll be spending a lot right off the bat and it will take many baits to make it worth your time and money.

BB
Old 07-27-11, 08:42 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
bear baits and caney creek are a couple of the nicer mold company's out there, Del-Mart also has a good selection. You will not save yourself any money pouring your own baits. By the time you buy the molds, injectors, coloring, glitter, and all of the other stuff you will need to pour your own baits, it is much more economical to just buy them from a retail store or find someone to custom pour what you want.
+1..If its a money aspect than Tony is right..You wont save any money at first because of the start up cost.Now if its a hobby type thing,or something you see yourself really enjoying,then maybe buy a kit to dip your toes into it. See if you like it,then expand supplies later..

Ive been researching carving my own big swimbaits lately....Looks like fun!
Old 07-27-11, 09:37 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks for the help guys. I see that two piece Al molds are pretty expensive. The 1 piece ones that look like they're made of plaster, resin, and plastic, look fine. I know they wont be round, but I'm fine with that.. lot of worms aren't any way, other then senkos.

Found these beavers, and finesse worms on ebay that look pretty good..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Poured-Worm...#ht_500wt_1413

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Poured-Worm...#ht_500wt_1413

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-27-11 at 10:16 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 10:15 PM   #8
Tavery5

Why would you buy a mold that is a copy of a bait that you can easily purchase over the counter? I mean I understand the custom color, softness and all that, because I have looked into myself. I think you will be shocked when you start looking at what it will actually cost you to pour your first batch of plastic baits. If a guy wanted to do it as a hobby I could see doing that, otherwise I say, find someone who will pour you what you want and save the cash.
Old 07-27-11, 10:18 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Why would you buy a mold that is a copy of a bait that you can easily purchase over the counter? I mean I understand the custom color, softness and all that, because I have looked into myself. I think you will be shocked when you start looking at what it will actually cost you to pour your first batch of plastic baits. If a guy wanted to do it as a hobby I could see doing that, otherwise I say, find someone who will pour you what you want and save the cash.
Start up doesn't look bad, around 50 bucks for 2, or 3 molds, a quart of plastisol, color and glitter... but that's 50 bucks I don't have, lamo.
Old 07-27-11, 10:26 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Bender might be able to give you some insight on the start up too. I also started to get in to it, but I started reading horror stories of burns and stuff like that. I know my luck. And I know I would have a skin graph in my lap by now. That is what turned me towards rod building. The worst that can happen is a razor cut or a little acetone in my eyes. But I can easily mitigate the acetone and live with a few stiches. I hate to be burned though.
Old 07-28-11, 06:38 AM   #11
Mumpy

Quote:
Why would you buy a mold that is a copy of a bait that you can easily purchase over the counter?
Because I'll look COOL dang it! I want to do this so bad! I've made Custom Jigs for Years now and this is one thing I've always wanted to do.

I think we all dream of being on the boat with your buddy and you catching Bass on a Lure you made that he doesn't have and you can haggle him about it for a few minutes before you finally break down and give him one!
Old 07-28-11, 06:43 AM   #12
Mumpy

How do you fish those 4" Beavs? I've never used them
Old 07-28-11, 07:36 AM   #13
bassboogieman

First - I heard several horror stories from individuals waiting MONTHS for a mold from Del Mart. Second - if you're looking to save money pouring your own baits, you'll probably be as old as I am before you see a savings. LOL. You already know that alum. molds are expensive, the plastic isn't that cheap either. Alum molds produce the best, detailed baits. My pal and fishing partner does this as a hobby/business and has a SIZEABLE investment in well over 200 molds. You certainly won't need that many, but if you want to pour you favorite half dozen baits, you will need to pour a lot before you start seeing a savings. Not to mention the time involved. You'll also need a microwave dedicated to plastics, several pyrex measuring cups, thermometers, glitter, dyes, softner, hardner, salt, the list gets pretty extensive. Personally I woulnd't do it unless it was to sell as a business. I see what he goes through to make a dollar (or less) on a dozen baits, and it certainly would not be worth it to me.

I spend less than $50/year (now, as I have a considerable stash built up over the years) on plastics, about the price of ONE alum (injection) mold. I would never see a savings on my plastics if I started pouring my own now, especially since I have a fishing partner that can pour me just about any bait I want in any color I need and get it to me within 24 hours.

But who knows - you're a lot younger and this could turn in to a sideline business for you. But it will take a long time to recover your investments and start actually saving/making money, either way. If you want to do it as a hobby and the satisfaction of catching fish on baits you made, that's one thing and will be an immediate reward, but trying to save money by pouring your own will take much longer to realize.

Back to the equipment - you can cut some of the start up costs by using the silicone molds and hand pouring. Hand pouring is tedious work, and the quality of a bait hand poured in silicone is less than a hand pour in an alum. mold which is less than an a bait done in an alum. injection mold. Depends on what you want in the quality department, ease of production and consistancy of your baits. Bottom line from my perspective - making your own is a satisfaction issue, not a money saver in most circumstances.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-28-11 at 08:00 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:02 AM   #14
mrmuskie5

If you just want to screw around you can make molds out of plaster (just use baits you already have) and then clear coat them. one sided molds are real easy to make but you can make two sided ones but they are a little harder. I make trailers for jigs like this. I just remelt old plastics (do this outside and wear a mask!) Its just something to screw around with deffinatly not the best route. If you want more details let me know.

Last edited by mrmuskie5; 07-28-11 at 02:54 PM.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 01:28 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
How do you fish those 4" Beavs? I've never used them
How ever you want. Texas rigged works real well, I've had some success with them on a c-rig recently, they work well on a jig trailer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
First - I heard several horror stories from individuals waiting MONTHS for a mold from Del Mart. Second - if you're looking to save money pouring your own baits, you'll probably be as old as I am before you see a savings. LOL. You already know that alum. molds are expensive, the plastic isn't that cheap either. Alum molds produce the best, detailed baits. My pal and fishing partner does this as a hobby/business and has a SIZEABLE investment in well over 200 molds. You certainly won't need that many, but if you want to pour you favorite half dozen baits, you will need to pour a lot before you start seeing a savings. Not to mention the time involved. You'll also need a microwave dedicated to plastics, several pyrex measuring cups, thermometers, glitter, dyes, softner, hardner, salt, the list gets pretty extensive. Personally I woulnd't do it unless it was to sell as a business. I see what he goes through to make a dollar (or less) on a dozen baits, and it certainly would not be worth it to me.

I spend less than $50/year (now, as I have a considerable stash built up over the years) on plastics, about the price of ONE alum (injection) mold. I would never see a savings on my plastics if I started pouring my own now, especially since I have a fishing partner that can pour me just about any bait I want in any color I need and get it to me within 24 hours.

But who knows - you're a lot younger and this could turn in to a sideline business for you. But it will take a long time to recover your investments and start actually saving/making money, either way. If you want to do it as a hobby and the satisfaction of catching fish on baits you made, that's one thing and will be an immediate reward, but trying to save money by pouring your own will take much longer to realize.

Back to the equipment - you can cut some of the start up costs by using the silicone molds and hand pouring. Hand pouring is tedious work, and the quality of a bait hand poured in silicone is less than a hand pour in an alum. mold which is less than an a bait done in an alum. injection mold. Depends on what you want in the quality department, ease of production and consistancy of your baits. Bottom line from my perspective - making your own is a satisfaction issue, not a money saver in most circumstances.
Lots of good info here sounds like you've got some experience. Thanks, maybe a little side business would fun! Start up with definitely be allot higher though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
If you just want to screw around you can make molds out of plaster (just use baits you already have) and then clear coat them. one sided molds are real easy to make but you can make two sided ones but they are a little harder. I make trailers for jigs like this. I just remelt or plastics (do this outside and wear a mask!) Its just something to screw around with deffinatly not the best route. If you want more details let me know.
Making my own molds sounds like a great idea... plaster's not expensive at all. Using the plastic from old torn up factory baits an melting them down to make my own sounds like a GREAT idea. How do ya go about doing that?
Old 07-28-11, 02:10 PM   #16
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

You should check Spike-It.com for less expensive plastisol.Also check the forums at Caney Creek Molds and Tackleunderground, they give some great advice.I just recently started pouring myself.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 02:13 PM   #17
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

Spike-It will send you 8oz. samples for free just give them a call and ask for samples.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 02:52 PM   #18
mrmuskie5

This should get ya started. once you've got a basic mold you can tweek it with a dremel or files to your liking. I like to line mine with a 2 part epoxy, it will make the the baits release better and make the mold last. http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=52
Old 07-28-11, 03:58 PM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
This should get ya started. once you've got a basic mold you can tweek it with a dremel or files to your liking. I like to line mine with a 2 part epoxy, it will make the the baits release better and make the mold last. http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=52
Thanks for the link. Looks simple enough. The part I'm kinda confused on is the part were you make a clay lure to form the area were you pour the plastic. Do you just form what ever looks good out of clay? Seems like it would work for straight tail worms, but not for beavers, or creature baits. Could I just use the original lure to form the mold rather then the clay?

The 2 part mold looks pretty cool. I'll wait untill I've mastered the one part before I do the 2 part!

What kinda pastisol do you use Mr.Musky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAfisher76 View Post
Spike-It will send you 8oz. samples for free just give them a call and ask for samples.
Thanks, I'll make sure to do that if I decide to go through with this.

Edit: Looks like I wont be ordering from the, 17 bucks for shipping?!?! Absolutely outrageous.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-28-11 at 04:12 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 06:35 PM   #20
66KingFisher

If your interested in making your own baits....plastics, hard baits or wire baits, I highly recommend that you check out the forums at www.tackleunderground.com

Those folks know all there is to know about making your own baits, and they are very helpfull to the newbies...especially if you've been using their "search" feature before ya start asking questions...lol.

Not to mention they are all the time selling used molds and stuff like that.....they are worth checking out.
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 PM   #21
mrmuskie5

I dont do the clay thing. i just use what ever lure im gonna mold as the "positive" imprint in the mold in other words pour your plaster them sink your "factory" bait into the paster and wait for it to set up then pull it out. wa la! mold! good luck bud. oh yeah i just melt old plastic (old colman stove and a crappy aluminum pot). this is just more of a goofing around thing than anything serious.
Old 07-29-11, 12:25 AM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
I dont do the clay thing. i just use what ever lure im gonna mold as the "positive" imprint in the mold in other words pour your plaster them sink your "factory" bait into the paster and wait for it to set up then pull it out. wa la! mold! good luck bud. oh yeah i just melt old plastic (old colman stove and a crappy aluminum pot). this is just more of a goofing around thing than anything serious.
OK that's what I figured. Looking forward to making some thick finesse kinda worms for wacky rigging. I think if they're like anything i have in mind, they'll work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
If your interested in making your own baits....plastics, hard baits or wire baits, I highly recommend that you check out the forums at www.tackleunderground.com

Those folks know all there is to know about making your own baits, and they are very helpfull to the newbies...especially if you've been using their "search" feature before ya start asking questions...lol.

Not to mention they are all the time selling used molds and stuff like that.....they are worth checking out.
Thanks, I'll check em out kingfisher.
Old 07-30-11, 06:09 AM   #23
Bender

It sounds like everybody has given you good information so far. I've never tried plaster molds, but I've heard they can be tricky to try keeping the air bubbles out of while they set. I've tried using fiberglass resin a long time ago and it made pretty nice molds, but the two piece ones warped a bit and the baits seemed to stick inside pretty bad. They should be fine for one piece molds.

A lot of guys use a microwave to heat their plastic but be careful with the glass that you use in it, I've heard of Pyrex shattering. Plus it is hard to control your temperature so I suggest a stainless pot on a hot plate. You will need to control the temperature though and just remember that air bubbles are your enemy. You need to stir smoothly to not agitate the mixture too much. It is fun to do as a hobby but I don't think that you will save any money in the long run once you add up molds, colorant (need lots), flake, salt, molds, heat source, temp gun, cooling trays, plastic, maybe a hand injector, etc. I don't mean to discourage you, but there is a lot that goes into making baits like are sold in the store. If you are just wanting to remelt some old lures then you can do that pretty cheap but you usually end up only with "surprise" as a color unless they were all the same before.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 11:22 AM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It sounds like everybody has given you good information so far. I've never tried plaster molds, but I've heard they can be tricky to try keeping the air bubbles out of while they set. I've tried using fiberglass resin a long time ago and it made pretty nice molds, but the two piece ones warped a bit and the baits seemed to stick inside pretty bad. They should be fine for one piece molds.

A lot of guys use a microwave to heat their plastic but be careful with the glass that you use in it, I've heard of Pyrex shattering. Plus it is hard to control your temperature so I suggest a stainless pot on a hot plate. You will need to control the temperature though and just remember that air bubbles are your enemy. You need to stir smoothly to not agitate the mixture too much. It is fun to do as a hobby but I don't think that you will save any money in the long run once you add up molds, colorant (need lots), flake, salt, molds, heat source, temp gun, cooling trays, plastic, maybe a hand injector, etc. I don't mean to discourage you, but there is a lot that goes into making baits like are sold in the store. If you are just wanting to remelt some old lures then you can do that pretty cheap but you usually end up only with "surprise" as a color unless they were all the same before.
Kinda late, but thanks bender (been really busy with football all weak, havn't been able to get to a computer lol). I though air bubbles might be a problem with plaster. If my folks go into town today, I'll have to stop by the hard ware store for the plaster and epoxy.. then I'll probably go to goodwill and get a SS pot for a buck. Any particular reason not to use melt the plastic stove top? Just a splatter and smell issue?

In the mean time I've been making "hybrid" bait, aka frankin plastics. Taking two (or more! ) baits and cutting them up and melting them them together with a lighter. I've made so cool looking stuff I'll definitely want to replicate!
Old 08-06-11, 12:18 PM   #25
mrmuskie5

the fumes from melting plastic is toxic, if it doesnt kill ya mom will lol. while you're at goodwill look for a hot plate ive seen them there for a couple bucks at times. hybrid baits are real good at times. also just modding a bait can be very productive. when flippin in heavy grass and moss i cut the body of my sweat beavers off and flip them around so the ribs go the other direction. they fall thru the grass/moss way better and come out cleaner as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.