Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-30-12, 09:58 AM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fish attractant

Are you guys believers in fish attractants, and if you are what attractant do you use when you just want the scent and not the dye? I've been using the b.a.n.g garlic it works pretty well, but it's greasy and seems to loose its scent after a little while.

Does anyone make there own attractant?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 01:41 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I personally don't think it makes a difference although I do use it on jigs from time to time. Mostly lunker sauce, megastrike, or chompers. I've had guys in the boat who use it on everything from crankbaits to jigs I typically out fish them so the difference is maybe only the hold on to your bait a second longer ....who knows. The one thing I do know is don't get caught down wind of those aerosoles sprays!
Old 05-30-12, 03:34 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would say yes for a slow moving bait. Tried a few different brands. Don't use any longer.
Old 05-31-12, 07:41 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I will use the Yum spray garlic attractant of my jigs and soft plastics, but not so much as an attractant, but rather to mask any odor from my hands that might transfer to my lure and cause a fish to reject my offering quicker than it should. It may or may not help, but I use it anyways. So far, I havn't had any negative results from using it, and bass seem to hang onto my jigs and plastics plenty long enough to reel in any slack and set home the hook.
Old 05-31-12, 08:43 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't believe that attractants will get you more bites, but I do think it helps make fish hold on longer when they bite. I use JJ's Magic and if I don't want the dye then I will use the clear version of JJ's.
Old 05-31-12, 12:05 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Ive never believed they offered more bites either..Kory mentioned the longer hold,maybe so?..I really havent notice...But Im a smoker,so I use them often to cover up MY scent when handling baits.
Old 05-31-12, 01:07 PM   #7
b.a.s.17

I agree with you guys about not getting more bites, but I feel like it will get them to hold it a little longer. I'm gonna give the JJs stuff a try I went to their site and its pretty cheap too.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 02:09 PM   #8
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Ive never believed they offered more bites either..Kory mentioned the longer hold,maybe so?..I really havent notice...But Im a smoker,so I use them often to cover up MY scent when handling baits.
Elaborate a little more as to why you may be concerned that the scent of your smoking could be a deterrent to a bass but you aren't accepting that a different scent could be an attractant.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 03:55 PM   #9
lilmule

Im a smoker dont hide it in public or on the boat,fish dont seem to mind I use no scents.
Masking scent makes more sense with an intelligent creature such as in hunting and airborne human scent or lingering due to human frequency.With fish their eyesight ,color perception,sense of smell is quite different than a mammal.A chemical in the water is a turnoff yet it takes large amounts to say scare off sharks,how well does the average shark repellant work,trust your life on it?I wouldnt .The only repellant I know of that workswell is an injured fish be it bass or shark.
Surely attractants dont work as well as repellants,drop tackle box in boat same result at times,would scare the bass and attract a shark.
About all any do is possibly they hang on to it longer as some taste etc,most baits nowdays are prescented salt ,garlic etc,waste of $ basically to add more.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 04:06 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Elaborate a little more as to why you may be concerned that the scent of your smoking could be a deterrent to a bass but you aren't accepting that a different scent could be an attractant.

oe
Oh I dont know,Maybe cause I never really thought cigarette smoke was the ticket to a wall hanger
Old 05-31-12, 06:25 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

Strike King Perfect Plastic Caffeine Shad 5" -
Every smoker knows nothing goes better with a cig than coffee.

I like Yum F2. In 2009 I intentionally didn't use any scent at all, didn't notice any real difference. I'm convinced that 95% of the time it's just a confidence thing. 2009 didn't do a lot to boost my confidence but I still use it often on plastics. I seem to be more optimistic when I'm using it so $6+ is a pretty cheap endorphin.
Old 05-31-12, 09:40 PM   #12
bassinbob

I would say that a bass would reject a offensive smelling or tasting bait before we even knew it hit. A good attractant would probably cause a bass to hold onto a bait for a moment longer enabling a firsherman to dectect a strike. Bug repellant is rejected and gasoline is not. So i agree with kenneth that a cig goes good with a caffine bait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.