Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-03-03, 01:42 AM   #1
Fishing4Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fishing4Bass
Default Bass on its nest

The other day i was fishing, and i saw a bass that was on its nest that looked to be atleast 9 pounds. What tips can you give me to catch it? I have already tried but she doesnt seem to want to bite.
Fishing4Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 11:15 AM   #2

Default Re: Bass on its nest

TRY flipping a texas rigged lizzard at that bass.it's known fact that bass and lizzards are mortal enemies.They hate waterdogs and salamanders they are egg eaters if she is on the nest this will provoke a strike to kill not to eat. you could also try casting this texas rigged lizzard just past the nest and very slowlly with a light jigging motion swim it through the nest either way be prepared for fight. :
Old 06-04-03, 12:57 AM   #3
bruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bruce

I use a texas rigged white flippin' tube for bed fishing (I release all the bass I catch). I use white so it's easier to see and I think it resembles a shad or minnow. Pull the tube onto the nest and just shake your rod tip without moving the bait. This causes the tubes appendages to shake and quiver. Also try to find the sweet spot on the bed, if you can find it she'll grab it and go.

Scott
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 04:31 PM   #4
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly

what has always worked for me is catching a 5 to 6 inch bluegill or brim and hook it through the nose. Then when your aproching the nest get as close as possible without scaring her.then when you get within 15 feet at least throw that bluebill right in top of her and keep him over her and soon she will get very nervous and she will nail it!!!!!!!!
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 05:52 PM   #5
wylie_cope
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wylie_cope

Try a drop shot rig, with about a 1/2 oz sinker... cast past the bed and drag the rig close to the back side of the bed, w/ a drop shot...you can shake the bait w/o moving it away from the bed. use a lizard,senko, pretty much anything. you can really irratate her into biting...hopefully.
wylie_cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 06:22 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bobby bruch link=board=news;num=1054615369;start=0#1 date=06/03/03 at 10:15:46]TRY flipping a texas rigged lizzard at that bass.it's known fact that bass and lizzards are mortal enemies.They hate waterdogs and salamanders they are egg eaters if she is on the nest this will provoke a strike to kill not to eat. you could also try casting this texas rigged lizzard just past the nest and very slowlly with a light jigging motion swim it through the nest either way be prepared for fight. :[/quote]

I do love the suggestion about the Lizards, but white is better for bedding bass as Boltzie stated. To make a statement that they are mrotal enemies is a little extrem. I can tell you I do have a little info on Lizards, and depending on who you talk to they DO NOT eat the Bass eggs. I for one, won't say yay or nay to this, since I've persoanlly never seen them eating the eggs. The one thing that everybody does agree on is that bass hit lizards period. So tie one on, and throw it out there. Sometimes just leaving it for 10 minutes in the nest without moving it will make the female pick it up to move it out of the nest. So be ready to set the hook. And ALWAYS release a bedding bass ASAP.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 02:55 PM   #7
don_P
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to don_P

Yes I would try a worm Texas rigged because yesterday
I was at a pond in southeastern Ohio and I caught
a 2lb lg mouth with a blue fleck powerworm .At first I was fishing very slow with it and nothing so I changed my retrieve to two quick little bounces off the bottom and so on and she nailed it.I loved it beacuse the owners of the cabin where My wife and I was staying said it was too early for them to bite...lol..proved her
wrong. goodluck Denny
don_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 03:07 PM   #8
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Unfortunately, that bass is most likely gone.
Bass that are on the beds to spawn (normally) don't take more than 24 hrs. Sometimes a bedding bass won't hit anything that you present to it.
Buck bass may be there a little longer.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.