Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-02-09, 05:37 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default the best Fluoro or Mono!!!

Which is the best Fluoro or Mono fishing line!!! Lb. and brand please, thanks!!!
Old 02-02-09, 05:39 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

And that gentlemen is what I call a can of worms.
Old 02-02-09, 05:44 PM   #3
jcw1503

I know, I know, but i need to know where the worms came from and which worms is the best quality...Because i don't want to get another can of worms and them not be wiggling.
Old 02-02-09, 05:50 PM   #4
pig n jig

I ain't seen it out yet but they tell me there is a Ande freshwater line out that is very good line ? Has anyone used it yet ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 05:50 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you'll get a dif answer from just about everyone on here. I've fished trilene low vis for years but not saying that is the best application for every lure. I also us power pro and plan on using fluro this year. If you're new to it all I'd say use mono.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 05:56 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

I like Berkley Big Game mono!!! It's pretty limp, and holds a knot well!!! I use 12# test for crankbaits!!! I've heard good things about Cajun Red Line also!!! I just bought some in 17# to use with spinnerbaits, but I haven't gotten it on a reel yet!!! I have no experience with fluoro!!!

Exclamation points get old after a while, don't they?

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 02-02-09 at 06:14 PM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 06:04 PM   #7
jasonfish320

This is what I have been using with a lot of my crank's and jigs. http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=102 ..I love it! It is tough as nails and it's really become one of my most reliable types of lines to fish with.
Old 02-02-09, 06:23 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

there really isn't a "best" out there, it's just what you are looking for in a line that helps you make decisions.

my opinions:

mono- there are a ton of good brands of mono out there but this is my favorites.

1. as far as strength goes i have yet to find mono line stronger than maxima, but maxima has a lot of memory.
2. if there is a line i have ever used that is as strong as maxima it would be p-line, and it has a lot less memory.
3. suffix (elite or seige either one) is the best casting mono i have ever used and it has the least amount of memory. still really strong but i don't think it is as strong as p-line or maxima. in my opinion all 3 of these brands make great mono lines.

flouro- there is nothing worse than spoolin up with a bad flourocarbon line, it can make you swear off flouro all together. but a good flourocarbon line makes all the difference in the world.

1. seaguar invizx is the best flourocarbon line i have ever used, and i have used several different brands. very little memory, great strength, and it cast really well.
2. seaguar carbon pro is another good line, very strong but has a little more memory than invizx
3. i have never had any reason to stray away from seaguar since i went to it. but if i ever go to something else it will probably be sunline. more expensive but from what i hear it is second to none.
4. i also hear that vicious is a good flourocarbon but has a little bit more memory than seaguar.

lb. test just depends on what you are using this line for. power fishing i wouldn't go any lighter than 12lb except maybe on crankbait rods. finesse fishing you could go to 6lb or 8lb. some even go as light as 4lb.
Old 02-02-09, 07:20 PM   #9
cassidyta

For me, choosing the best had a lot to do with availability and what was in the budget at the time.
I have been using the 15 lbs P-Line flouro for most applications without much complaint. I can not compare it to Seaguar since it has been a little more difficult to find around here at times. Memory has been a little bit of an issue when starting the morning, but has only taken a hand full of casts to clear. The cheaper cost was another factor for me.

My mono has been Trilene Sensation. No real reason except that I bought a spool and had no issues with it. I also have some Stren original on a spinning reel that has done fine for me.
Old 02-02-09, 08:08 PM   #10
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Trilene Big Game (Green) mono. in 15# or 20# is the best mono. I dont use flouro.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 08:19 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

On something like this, you can ask 20 gusy and get 21 different answers.

I like Stren Original, but have recently been using Stren Super Knot alot. I like it for heavier lien because it ties great knots, and has a thicker diameter, so I can downsize lb test, and keep a bigger diameter. I know this normally goes against a lot, but in the case of topwater, most will opt for a thicker diameter line. But personally, I like a smaller test line. So I can use 12lb w/ the same diameter as 14. I hope this makes sense to someone... The Super knot, is very managable.

My other choice would be Sufix Elite. It's nice and smooth and I love their G2 precision winding. I think it makes a big difference. I haven't tried seige yet. The Elite is also very managable.

You'll get a lot recomendation for Trilene mono of some sort, whether it be Big Game, XL or XT, but IMO, it's all crap. I've gotten free Trilene XL from NAFC, and it have more memory than some fluoros I've used. I'd never pay money for it, and honestly can't see why anyone would.

BB
Old 02-02-09, 08:28 PM   #12
islandbass

That is a subjective question. Try to do some research on fluoro lines and learn their advantages and drawbacks. Also, like mono, not all FC lines are equal. Some are limp like Trilene XL. Some are as stiff as Trilene XT and the FC lines at opposite ends of limpness and stiffness exist.

1) Figure out what you what the FC line to do for you and make a decision on fc line choice after you know the traits of some.

I mean, for someone to say, Seaguar Invizx hands down rules! That does nothing for you and why should it? So you buy it and find that it is limp. Matter of fact, it's quite limp and somewhat stretchy. If you are a person who doesn't like stretchy line, you will be disappointed.

That is what I love about it and there will be others out there who will hate it because it is limp. They probably prefer a stiffer line that handles better on a casting reel vs. a spinning reel.

So until you figure out what you want out of the FC lines that are out there, the only thing personal opinions are going to do is blow smoke up your sit down part.

I can tell you that in 6# test, Invizx is quite limp. If you need a limp line, this is a solid choice at this strength. Can't really comment on stiffer lines because I haven't used am FC line that is stiff yet.
Old 02-02-09, 08:38 PM   #13
woody

I agree with Islandbass. Somethings are just meant to be figured out on your own.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 09:02 PM   #14
bamabassman

DITTO!!! i ain't getting on dis pile o worms. lol. but i like cajun mono.berkley too. ain't tried flour, but may this year.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 09:55 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

Best all round fishing line . . .

McCoy Mean Green

This stuff is great. Very strong and not much memory.

I use 12 lb Mean Green on all baitcasters for just about everything with the exception of deep diving cranks.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 08:17 AM   #16
BassAddict

I agree with others about the fact you need to find out what your looking for in a line first. I've settled on XPS for Fluoro and I use P-Line FloroClear for most everything else. I use Trilene Big Game for some other applications like buzzbaits and other topwaters. I also use Invisx on my spinning reel. I have tried several different lines over the years and these are the brands I've found to fit my liking! You may find you don't like any of this stuff and go a different route.
Old 02-03-09, 03:00 PM   #17
aikenyounggun

as a mono man i use big game and i have never had problems with it.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 05:05 PM   #18
Joel

When I did use Mono I found that Sufix Elite had the least memory, was strong yet limp at the same time, and held knots extremely well. Sufix Surge was less limp, had a little more memory, but seemed to be more suited to fishing in and around weeds and rocks.
Old 02-03-09, 08:19 PM   #19
Love of the Sport

My problem with fluoro is every time I have a bit to much slack on the spool and the line crosses its self its cuts itself. Now this doesn't happen alot, every 500 cast or so, but i'm cheap and I hate losing baits to something that can be avoided.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 07:51 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Mono: I only use this for topwater: Trilene Maxx

"Mono" for other apps: P-Line Floroclear. Handles like a dream-fluorocarbon coated mono, so it sinks. Tough, too. Great cranking line.

Fluorocarbon: Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon

Braid: Powerpro

"Best" is subjective. What I think is best others hate. Bottom line-find the one YOU like, not what somebody else likes. If you stay with a name brand you should be fine.
Old 02-07-09, 01:02 AM   #21
Love of the Sport

I tried out P line halo fluoro 15lb yesterday and I was SUPER impressed. I lost 5 jigs, 3 wieghted worms and 1 lipless crank but not once because the line broke. In fact I could not break the line when I tried, even with the drag set to max, thumb on the spool and jerking the hell out of it. Had to cut it every time. Will pick up some more for sure.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 04:41 AM   #22
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post
I tried out P line halo fluoro 15lb yesterday and I was SUPER impressed. I lost 5 jigs, 3 wieghted worms and 1 lipless crank but not once because the line broke. In fact I could not break the line when I tried, even with the drag set to max, thumb on the spool and jerking the hell out of it. Had to cut it every time. Will pick up some more for sure.
As a kind word of caution, it is not a good a idea to try to break the line like that be it "jerking" your rig or setting the drag to max and pulling via the spool. You increase the potential of applying excessive stress to your rig and it could break.

When I get snagged like that, I will pull off enough line to work with and set my rig aside so that it is not in the line breaking or lure freeing equation.

Thanks for the word on Halo. Nothing but good things about this line.
Old 02-07-09, 01:32 PM   #23
keithdog

For some reason I rarely hear of anyone using copolymer lines, but I have always liked these lines. They are supple, thinner and stronger than mono and cost about the same. I really like Silverthread lines. Super Silver Thread for cranks, and Silver Thread Excaliber for spinnerbaits, and plastics in cover. But for heavy duty use I still like braid.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 02:36 PM   #24
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
For some reason I rarely hear of anyone using copolymer lines, but I have always liked these lines. They are supple, thinner and stronger than mono and cost about the same. I really like Silverthread lines. Super Silver Thread for cranks, and Silver Thread Excaliber for spinnerbaits, and plastics in cover. But for heavy duty use I still like braid.
I tried Silver Thread Copoly and liked it, but eventually went with all braid instead. I only use mono as a leader these days, something that I don't think Silver Thread would work well as for me.
Old 02-07-09, 04:08 PM   #25
cassidyta

Let me give you one more reason not to simply jerk on it. While out fishing on Wednesday I saw a guy who got a little too deep in the tullies. He was jerking th ehell out of the rod and the next thing we knew the rod went flying into the water. I tried not to laugh but it was humorous. The good thing was that we recovered his rig. It ended up in about 10 foot of clear water and we could hook it with a jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.