Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-09, 09:14 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Heddon Pop'n Image

I used one of these for the first time today...I understand they used to made by Excalibur. I guess Bomber didn't buy all of Excalibur's designs.

My question is...is this thing supposed to sit with the head of the lure out of the water, i.e not lie horizontal? It had a really odd sort of glug-glug kind of pop, different from the hula poppers and such that I am used to. It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what rod motion and angle it took to get a sharp splash out of it, but it was getting a lot of missed strikes by baby bass and panfish when I got it going.
Old 06-27-09, 09:37 PM   #2
JB

yes about the head slightly more out of the water than the tail, a lot of better top water lures sit like that, to imitate a shad or minnow on its last leg.
Its hard not to have the reflex hookset on the top water bite, try to wait for the feel of the fish or try counting one or two seconds before the hookset. After you get the hang of it you'll find a happy medium, setting the hook with more hookups. Sounds like fun
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 09:41 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Thanks, JB.

As to the hooksets, I never got a chance to set a hook. The little strikes would simply turn the lure over, but they never once touched the hooks.

Now, when I switched over to my size 7 floating, jointed Rapala black, silver...different story. Caught a couple dinks on it. I think I'm gonna take my Pop'n Image up to Patoka tomorrow and see what I can do.
Old 06-30-09, 09:41 AM   #4
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have one and it doestent really throw water at all. a really good popper is the Strike King Spit-N-King.get colors like blue gizzard shad and green gizzard shad.
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 11:24 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Cavs,

After messing around with it a bit, I got mine to throw water. I found the only way I could do it was with sideways sweeps of my rod, and timing was important. I think the timing varies with the type of line you are using. I was using 8lb mono, so there was a little more stretch than if I were using 12lb. I think Fluoro would be good, except it sinks. Maybe I'll try it on a braid with 12lb mono leader for better response.

Once I got it going, it was spitting a lot.
Old 06-30-09, 11:30 AM   #6
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
i have one and it doestent really throw water at all. a really good popper is the Strike King Spit-N-King.get colors like blue gizzard shad and green gizzard shad.
a really good pop r does not always have to throw water. splash its, yellow magics, excalibur pop r's, etc. dont throw water. they are meant to be more suttle. i have caught more fish on a splash it than i have ever caught on a spit n king.
Old 06-30-09, 11:36 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

nofear, try the XCalibur Zell Pop. I really like them, although they are a bit pricey for poppers (9.99).

I've also heard (for twice the price) the Lobina Rico popper is really good. They're what Rick Clunn uses. They also have some sick colors.

I like my poppers and especially spook type baits to sit tail down in the water.

BB
Old 06-30-09, 02:10 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Thanks, BB...I may try to find some of those Zell Pops. I'm also looking for a good deal on a couple skitter pops, skitter props, and chug minnows to fill out my topwater arsenal.
Old 07-01-09, 12:57 AM   #9
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Don't forget about Rapala Skitter Pops. Their pop is unique and they have accounted for some of my biggest bass in the fall. Interesting your observation. The first skitters I bought about 4 seasons ago lied horizontally in the water. The newer ones float, but tail down and head up as you describe. This suggests that to make a pop you would want to make a downward twitch or a twitch made from either side but still toward the water at an angle for a pop.

Catches for me with poppers are not often but they catch very nice sized fish.
Old 07-01-09, 01:11 AM   #10
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would have to go with BB on the xcaliber, they rock. I usually like walking baits more, especially ones that sit tail down. The lucky craft gunfish kicks BASS.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 06:07 AM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Cavs,

After messing around with it a bit, I got mine to throw water. I found the only way I could do it was with sideways sweeps of my rod, and timing was important. I think the timing varies with the type of line you are using. I was using 8lb mono, so there was a little more stretch than if I were using 12lb. I think Fluoro would be good, except it sinks. Maybe I'll try it on a braid with 12lb mono leader for better response.

Once I got it going, it was spitting a lot.

if they are just banging at the others. the heddon will catch them more of a finesse chugger really...

zooker
Old 07-12-09, 07:32 PM   #12
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'll take a P 70 Pop R over any other popper any day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.