Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-11-09, 05:20 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Another Father Vs. Daughter Challenge 07-10-09

Shark Bait Scores Again

My daughter and I had another face off today. She started with a spinnerbait and I with my first homemade crankbait. After no fish through the first 15 minutes, I switched to my drop shot rig and casted it out with a 3” Senko, wacky rigged.

As soon as my weight reaches bottom, my daughter snags her lure in the riprap and is unable to free it. She hands me her rod and takes mine and during the exchange I can’t help to think a smallie is going to nail the Senko.

I manage to free it after a few good tugs and my daughter says, “I got one!” as she started reeling up the line. It was probably about 10” long, no big deal, but it also meant one to zero, and the zero was mine.

We moved to another spot. She rakes in another one with a locally made French fry type of bait.

This is her second bass of the day. She still doesn’t want to lip them with her thumb.

Finally, I connected with my drop shot rig about five minutes later, with a teeny-weenie 7” (shucks) but at least I’m on the scoreboard.

At the third spot, my daughter hooks into a big one that took her rod and reel to task. Unfortunately, it came unbuttoned after a very good fight. I picked my rig with the “shark bait” crankbait and after a few fruitless casts into the wind, I made one into the wind and worked a section between where the sunlight and shadow met. When the crankbait got into my visual range, I paused it and a smallie came up from the unseen, latched onto the back treble and headed back down. It was a decent strike. The way it swam back down made it seem like either it didn’t know it was hooked or it didn’t care. I suppose until its swim back down and my retrieving made the line taut. After that, it got feverishly upset and displayed its feisty side. As feisty as it fought, it was no match for my gear and it was quickly brought in.

Another noteworthy entry for my fishing journal. Shark bait, as I call my weird looking crankbait, has appeal to both trout and bass.

She decided to call it quits for the day to munch on some snacks and read her book so the battle officially ended in a tie.

I decide to continue fishing for just a wee bit and brought up another smallmouth. After that, we packed up and headed home.

The only thing left to say was best said by Ice Cube: “Today was a good day.”

-ib

Last edited by islandbass; 07-11-09 at 12:13 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 06:57 AM   #2
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sounds like you had fun. i love taken my little girl fishen
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 10:11 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Awesome IB! She knows when to end the competition, lol.

BB
Old 07-11-09, 10:34 AM   #4
Bassboss

Sounds like y'all had a good time! You catch any large mouth there?
Old 07-11-09, 12:16 PM   #5
islandbass

BBoss,

There are LMB in this lake, but they don't hang out in the riprap like the smallies do. Most of the other sections of this lake are not fishable from the shore because of private property. Besides, given the choice to catch smallies vs. lmbs, it's not even close. Smallies rock, and I used to be in the other camp until I caught my first smallie.

Last edited by islandbass; 07-11-09 at 02:28 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 01:37 PM   #6
Jim80

looks like you guys had a blast man

Jim
Old 07-11-09, 04:27 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sounds like a good day and good time IB.
Old 07-11-09, 07:33 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BBoss,

There are LMB in this lake, but they don't hang out in the riprap like the smallies do. Most of the other sections of this lake are not fishable from the shore because of private property. Besides, given the choice to catch smallies vs. lmbs, it's not even close. Smallies rock, and I used to be in the other camp until I caught my first smallie.
True about the smallies. Sad though. I live so close to Lake Erie, the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair, yet my first smallie was caught on the trip to KY Lake... It's just hard to get out on these big waters with a 16' boat. I can't wait to do some smallie fishing this fall though.

BB
Old 07-11-09, 10:57 PM   #9
bamabassman

thanks island. love to read about you and your daughters fishing trips pal. also love the pics. thanks man for real.
Old 07-12-09, 12:13 AM   #10
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

thats awsome i cant wait till my lil girl is old enough

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.