Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-10, 01:07 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The secrete to a awesome, tender steak!!

Everyone may know this, but for y'all that don't here ya go!

Next time you get a steak at the meat market, or supermarket, wait a 3, or 4 days before you eat it! First thing you do when you git home, is take them steaks and season them up with whatever you like (we like to use our homemade Montreal seasoning, but the store bought works, and some smoked paprika, and some Worcestershire sauce).

Once you get that, put your steaks on a tray, or plate as, let them sit OPEN AND UNCOVER. They'll turn a brownish color around the edges. It'll look sorta weird, but the Bactria that'll grow on there are fine, all they do is tender it up! DO NOT leave keep covered. Bad bacteria will grow and spoil it.

About 3 or 4 hours before you cook 'em let the sit out until they reach room temp. This will cook the steaks evenly. If you like a rare streak*, it'll have a brown cook out side, and a red (but not raw) inside.

* Some people will tell you that a rare steak is dangerous, but the bacteria can not penetrate the meat, good or bad. So as long as the out side is cooked, you're fine!
Old 06-24-10, 01:41 PM   #2
nofearengineer

I'm thinking if you prepare your steak this way, you are going to "secrete" something yourself, like your liquefied intestines from your anus.

If you want to age a steak, you should buy the steak uncut; i.e, 5 or 6 steaks all in one piece. Store that piece of meat in the fridge, wrapped in paper. Paper will still let it dry, but without getting as hard on the edges.

When you're done, take it out and trim off the exposed surfaces, and then cut your steaks. Eating the parts that have been exposed for 4 days is a serious case of food poisoning waiting to happen.
Old 06-24-10, 01:47 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Everyone may know this, but for y'all that don't here ya go!

Next time you get a steak at the meat market, or supermarket, wait a 3, or 4 days before you eat it! First thing you do when you git home, is take them steaks and season them up with whatever you like (we like to use our homemade Montreal seasoning, but the store bought works, and some smoked paprika, and some Worcestershire sauce).

Once you get that, put your steaks on a tray, or plate as, let them sit OPEN AND UNCOVER. They'll turn a brownish color around the edges. It'll look sorta weird, but the Bactria that'll grow on there are fine, all they do is tender it up! DO NOT leave keep covered. Bad bacteria will grow and spoil it.

About 3 or 4 hours before you cook 'em let the sit out until they reach room temp. This will cook the steaks evenly. If you like a rare streak*, it'll have a brown cook out side, and a red (but not raw) inside.

* Some people will tell you that a rare steak is dangerous, but the bacteria can not penetrate the meat, good or bad. So as long as the out side is cooked, you're fine!
Umm...no thanks!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 02:28 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Umm...no thanks!
^^^^ What he said. Aging a single steak for a couple of days won't change the flavor/tenderness much. A real aged steak is done with whole slabs of beef, not just a single serving, and it takes anywhere from a week to three weeks to age correctly.
"Bacteria growing on it won't hurt you." Did I read this correctly? So I'm gonna go make me a sandwich out of the moldy bread in the bottom of the basket, not the fresh stuff on top. All this advice gives you is a good shot at salmonella or E. coli contamination.
Old 06-24-10, 03:14 PM   #5
1/4 stick

You're playing with fire BassBoss. And that's coming from an old meatcutter. You might be ok if it was fresh cut and you cover it. But there's a lot of markets that will rewrap the meat after the original 3 day shelf life if the meat hasn't turned and give it a day or so more. They're not suppose to, But I've seen too many break that rule trying to keep their loss down. Always cover your meat.

The way NoFear posted is the right way to do it. You can even rub your seasoning on the whole cut for extra flavor but you still need to trim the outside.

Rare is good. As long as the meat was handled right. Doing it with a single steak that been left uncovered for that long, not so much.

Last edited by 1/4 stick; 06-24-10 at 03:32 PM.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 03:15 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Umm...no thanks!
x2

Not a big fan of food poisoning...

BB
Old 06-24-10, 10:21 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

More like the secret to awesome, fatal food poisoning!

Good luck.
Old 06-24-10, 10:46 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't know guys... I've decided to give it a try. And for an appetizer, I'm making chicken tar-tar!

BB
Old 06-24-10, 11:17 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Make sure to slather it in A-1's new flavor...."E. Coli".
Old 06-24-10, 11:59 PM   #10
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
x2

Not a big fan of food poisoning...

BB

X3

No way I would do this.
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 11:43 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Oh c'mon all you wimpy fisher guys....perhaps the bass boss dude is right....
after all, that which doesn't kill ya, makes ya stronger!!!

So tell us fer real BassBoss, was this all just funnin, or do you really eat rancid meat? ... And was this just fer beef or is it more fer possum and other assorted road kill?

Old 06-25-10, 01:35 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Eating the parts that have been exposed for 4 days is a serious case of food poisoning waiting to happen.
Especially since I like my steaks still mooing.
Old 06-25-10, 02:36 PM   #13
Jim80

Quote:
Umm...no thanks!
X4 , yeah I gotta pass on that one dude it just gave me the willies thinking that you might actually do that to your steak and less importantly yourself .

Jim
Old 06-25-10, 03:08 PM   #14
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quote:
I'm thinking if you prepare your steak this way, you are going to "secrete" something yourself, like your liquefied intestines from your anus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
So I'm gonna go make me a sandwich out of the moldy bread in the bottom of the basket, not the fresh stuff on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Always cover your meat.
Quote:
Make sure to slather it in A-1's new flavor...."E. Coli".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Hahaha. This thread is awesome.

Haven't you seen the guy on Ripley's Believe it or Not who eats rotted meat for healing powers?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 04:17 PM   #15
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Me too:

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 06:36 PM   #16
Bassboss

Hmmm.... apparently I left out the fact that you let it sit uncovered in the frige.

Maybe this changes things!
Old 06-25-10, 07:06 PM   #17
1/4 stick

Quote:
Hmmm.... apparently I left out the fact that you let it sit uncovered in the frige.

Not really. The bacteria just move a little slower in there.
Old 06-25-10, 08:49 PM   #18
CamG

Quote:

Doesn't change a thing for me...I've had food poisoning, and I don't want it again. Sooner than later if you are eating what you described, it WILL happen.
Old 06-26-10, 04:32 PM   #19
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Honestly Bassboss, if you truly want a tender awesome steak, research marinades & find one that appeals to you. There are literally hundreds of good ones out there. Once you find one you really like, no steak house will be able to compete with it. Bon apetite!
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:35 PM   #20
bassinbob

Well folks I waited all weekend to respond to this thread. I work in a federally inspected meat processing plant. I waited till today to ask the FDA meat inspector his thoughts on this subject. He said, "It would be good until it stinks." I then asked what if it had salt on it. He said, "Salt is what is used to cure meat so it should be good for quite awhile."
There you have it. Now I've been cutting meat since 1969 and I've never gotten sick from meat used as above. I have thrown it out when the smell is there. The smell is a sour smell that I have learned to detect. Granted there are cases where undercooked food will cause an illness. I don't eat bloody meat. I am not trying to convince anyone what I have posted is to be taken as gospel unless at your own risk.
Old 06-28-10, 09:48 PM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Well folks I waited all weekend to respond to this thread. I work in a federally inspected meat processing plant. I waited till today to ask the FDA meat inspector his thoughts on this subject. He said, "It would be good until it stinks." I then asked what if it had salt on it. He said, "Salt is what is used to cure meat so it should be good for quite awhile."
There you have it. Now I've been cutting meat since 1969 and I've never gotten sick from meat used as above. I have thrown it out when the smell is there. The smell is a sour smell that I have learned to detect. Granted there are cases where undercooked food will cause an illness. I don't eat bloody meat. I am not trying to convince anyone what I have posted is to be taken as gospel unless at your own risk.
Thank you bob!
Now this guy knows his steak!

btw, my dad learned this from a butcher.
Old 06-28-10, 10:16 PM   #22
CamG

Quote:
Thank you bob!
Now this guy knows his steak!

btw, my dad learned this from a butcher.
Glad I don't buy from that butcher! LOL
Old 06-29-10, 09:28 AM   #23
walkeraviator

The trick to tender steak is simply buying quality meat and slow cooking...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 10:03 AM   #24
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
The trick to tender steak is simply buying quality meat and slow cooking...
Not so sure about the slow cooking thing. With a steak, you don't wanna cook it fast by any means, not a 5 hour thing either, or even a 1 hour thing. Also room temp when it goes on a the grill is best!
Old 06-29-10, 12:17 PM   #25
nofearengineer

The speed and temp of cooking steak varies with the fat content. If it's something with a lot of marbling, like a good ribeye, you'll ruin it if you do the "low and slow" method. A good sear and just enough time to pink it out in the center, and you're done.

For something like a flank steak or a brisket, with relatively little fat, that's when you do the low and slow. That's the reason most barbecue is done with "lesser" meats. The flavor is there, but it takes a real artist to get the cooking time and temp just right to make it into something special.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.