Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-20-12, 08:51 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The decision has been made.

After the trip to Dale Hollow, I have decided I'm done with the bass boat, big truck, long trip thing. I'm still recovering from dealing with fishing 10 days with a bad back. The fuel prices are getting too much for my retirement income to be burnt up on. We used approx. 260 gallons of gas on that trip (truck & boat), two gallons of 2-cylce oil and half a bottle of Ring Free and Stabil.

So the truck has been traded in, the boat is for sale and I've sold my old Hobie Outback kayak and ordered a new Hobie Pro Angler kayak. I will be a kayak fisherman now.

This decision was easy. With my local water being trolling motor or paddle only, using the bass boat was not and really hasn't been the best choice for my fishing needs. It was GREAT for the trips and I've been from Canada to Alabama with it, but the few "trips" I make with the boat now - I can't justify keeping it. I was using the kayak more than the boat and I could see that using the boat, with gas and long trips taking more of a physical toll on my aging carcass, would be less a percentage of my fishing time going forward.

In the next week or so, I'll post pics of the new kayak and how I'm setting it up, similiar to what Walker did, but not nearly as involved because the Pro Angler is designed around fishing. The kayak will allow me to fish all my local waters, as well as much of the water I used to fish with the bass boat like the Potomac and the lakes I fish in Canada. The kayak trip I did in Jan. to Florida kinda sealed the deal for me as I enjoyed it so much. I really don't think I would have had as much fun if I'd taken the bass boat on that trip. The only negative is the range - I won't be paddling 20 miles, but the ability to launch a kayak virtually anywhere you can get to the water will be compensation. It's easier to load than a boat, and drive to whatever location you wish to fish, several times a day if need be.

This change will allow me to continue fishing, at a more economical pace. If something breaks on a kayak it's a couple bucks to fix not a couple hundred., and I'll save mucho dinero on fuel & additives. I also find kayak fishing more relaxing, as my tournament days are long over and I'm now fishing just for the enjoyment of it, and the Hobie Mirage Drive gives me some much needed exercise.

This also means I can downsize a LOT of my tackle. If you are looking for some quality rods & reels, lures, etc. watch the for sale forums - I'll be posting items in a week or so. And of course I have a boat to sell, but that is more for the locals. Stay tuned...................

Oh, Bryce - if you're looking for another 1197 I know where you can get one (not cheap, but reasonable). Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-20-12 at 08:58 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 09:33 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There is a LOT to be said for a scaled down relaxing approach to fishing, especially if it's for enjoyment. As much as I've wanted a bass boat, my little 12 foot jon has served me well here in my small local lakes. I have no doubt your going to be happy with your decision. The fact that you can take a yak pretty much anywhere that you can walk to is such an advantage. And like you said, the cost of running and maintaining a big rig has gotten out of hand. I can't wait to see pics of your new yak. Good luck with selling the boat.
Old 05-20-12, 12:57 PM   #3
lilmule

Years ago did my exon trail thing,now just launch nearby and troller my way around,fits my retirement income a tad better.
We have neat lil canals and drainage ditches around here should you desire to yak out this a way.No way you can float a bb in most of them,no ramps,obion chain has a whole series of small lakes chock full of pads ,cypress stumps,some cottonmouths and some unwary bass that only get mild shore pressure.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 07:50 PM   #4
Marty

Good luck in this next phase of your fishing life. Much better to make a decision like that voluntarily than to be forced to have to make it against your will.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 11:34 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Mixed feelings on this one.

Happy you will have a lot less stress on you to keep up the "hobby". Sad because I know there will indeed be times you miss it. Just like everything else...you have to take the bad with the good.

By the way, Bruce...I'm sure you can find a better price for the 1197 with someone else. I'm too much of a bargain hunter...plus, I think I want an 1198.

Seriously, good luck with your yakking, man.
Old 05-21-12, 11:47 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

That had to be a tough decision to make, no matter how many good reasons you came up with in favor of it. Boats are certainly expensive pets. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-21-12, 01:06 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Looks like you have a plan, Bruce. Hope it all works out as you'd like it to!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 01:19 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Good luck Bruce!...Those 2012 Anglers look sweet! I know you'll enjoy it
Old 05-21-12, 01:51 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

PM me on the 1197 info Bruce. I might have some interest. Like Bob always said, if the price is right. I can understand your decision though. I always doubt everything and wonder if I made the right decision buying a bass boat. But only time will tell.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.