Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-23-12, 04:14 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What lures for what days.

As a rookie bass fisherman i see alot of people talk about different baits for different conditions. I was wondering if i could get some ideas of what you use on certain days weather patterns things of that nature. I fish Newton lake quite a bit and i know that there are very large bass in there. Im looking for any thing that might help catch my first lunker. Any help is appreciated as always.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 06:42 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey Hoosier Welcome to the forums. More bass (lunkers and others) have been caught over the decades using soft plastics than every other "lure" combined. I'd start with a simple Texas rigged 7" straight tail worm and master that.

However, you should understand that if catching a big bass is your big goal, which lure is probably not the best thing to focus on. Better to study the body of water you fish (Newton Lake ?) #1 Are you sure big fish exist there? ..Water quality? Genetics? Forage base? Latitude? Good management? ...................................???????????

There are some very talented and experienced guys here that will gladly help you, the more DETAILS you give, the more SPECIFIC answers you'll get.........................Good Luck

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 05-23-12 at 08:16 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 09:03 AM   #3
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yea T-rigged worm will bring the bass in.. if your are doing it right. It may bring in a big ole walmart girl, IMO there are better choices for bigger bass, my bigger bass (when i catch them ) are from topwater, idk why but that happens, break your lake down, use google earth, lake map from local tackle stops, as Ken said it doing more than just fishing
Old 05-23-12, 08:33 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have to agree with keneth here. start with the plastics, then AFTER oyu learn the body of water oyu can move on to other things. topwater is great )in my opion only) early in the am and late in the evening. spinnerbaits are good too along the edges of grass and drop offs (ledges and grass and other structure, think reaction bite). lipless cranks are good as well as other baits.

one thing oyu NEED to learn FIRST. go slow and don't change oyur bait after just a few casts. work the bait, learn the bait. if using a worm. try it with different retrieves. short hops. dead stick it. quick jerls and so on and so forth. there are so MANY ways to work a worm it can take up an entire day. colors vary, start simple and small. then progress on form there.

good luck buddy.
Old 05-23-12, 09:07 PM   #5
Scott the fishman

I would agree you soft plastics and work them slow dont just cast and real in.
Old 05-23-12, 09:22 PM   #6
OkobojiEagle

Live shiners have caught a few large bass over the years as well, but I assume you gentlemen are limiting your selections to artificial baits.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 11:14 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Live shiners have caught a few large bass over the years as well, but I assume you gentlemen are limiting your selections to artificial baits.

oe
Hey OE Being from Indiana (I suppose) I assumed he was asking about lures. If he had asked about the best way POSSIBLE to catch a BIG bass I agree that the humble Wild Golden Shiner reigns supreme. This site isn't like one of those fly fishing forums where only dry-flys get any respect, but still 99% of all discussions here about how to do it are artificial. Having spent most of my life fishing North and Central Fla. and often free-lining 6-8-10"+ Goldens, I will gladly dare to say that the skill set and dedication needed to do that right and successfully will rival any artificial presentation a "purist" can name..................don't get me started

You from Iowa originally or now or both?
Old 05-24-12, 01:57 AM   #8
Hoosier

Default Lake Geno

Newton Lake is known as one of the supreme large bass hotspots in the midwest. With all that being said i have some luck on a simple rattle trap crank bait. I know that its hard to explain the lake but its a generating station lake that is litterally stuffed with huge bass. The entire lake is surrounded with grass 4-5 foot tall coming out of the water with alot of structure its average depth is about 25 feet from what ive seen on my fish finder. I think that i will take your advice and work some of my works that i currently have and see how that goes. I appreciate all of the advice and will try to report back after the weekend to let you guys know how i did. The weather is suppose to be upper 80s and sunny all weekend long. Thanks alot.
Old 05-24-12, 02:37 AM   #9
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Newton Lake is known as one of the supreme large bass hotspots in the midwest. With all that being said i have some luck on a simple rattle trap crank bait. I know that its hard to explain the lake but its a generating station lake that is litterally stuffed with huge bass. The entire lake is surrounded with grass 4-5 foot tall coming out of the water with alot of structure its average depth is about 25 feet from what ive seen on my fish finder. I think that i will take your advice and work some of my works that i currently have and see how that goes. I appreciate all of the advice and will try to report back after the weekend to let you guys know how i did. The weather is suppose to be upper 80s and sunny all weekend long. Thanks alot.
Personally i would flip/pitch ugly otter all the way around the lake into that thick grass, use heavy braid, 1.5oz tungsten weight, make sure you punch your weight so it stays down on to the bait, you can also use a punch skirt! Good luck let us know what works best for ya!
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 06:04 AM   #10
SaminVa

Big Baits=Big Bass

Learn that lake... learn where the big bass come and go .. get local advice
Use a 10-12" worm... a 3/4 to 1 oz rattle trap, a nice swim jig with a big trailer on it.
In deep summer heavy football jigs and those 12" worms pulled along poinits etc.
Early morniong topwater bite... buzzbaits and G-slashes and Sammies and spooks
Old 05-24-12, 07:44 AM   #11
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaminVa View Post
Big Baits=Big Bass
Sam... I'm more inclined to believe that "Big Baits sort for Big Bass". If the primary forage of the lake/stream is 4" long the big mammas won't ignore 4" baits. My biggest smallmouth have come from shallow water, Spring & Fall, swimming 3 1/2" hair jigs.

KDS... I reside and fish on the Okoboji chain of lakes area in NW Iowa.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 09:07 AM   #12
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

"Go big, or go home", Is what the swimbaiters say, you want the big fish, gotta use the "BIG" baits. All the other advice still applies, you're just using the big swimbaits, and targeting the biggest fish. When they say big, they mean big 6+ inches.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 08:00 PM   #13
keithdog

First off, welcome to the forums! I'm going to assume your from Indiana and fishing Indiana waters. I'm not familiar with Newton Lake. Where is it located? Anyways, you have good advice so far and learning the lake is step #1 for sure. But regarding your choice of lures for big bass, I'll tell you what works for me up here in northern Indiana. Right after ice out, my two favorites are a hard bodied jerk bait and a 3/8oz jig with a large craw trailer. Chatterbaits work well too, but the size is usually smaller than the jig and jerk bait. Late spring, I'd have a jig, spinnerbait, and shallow square billed crankbait. Early summer through fall, I'll be replacing the jig most of the time with a t rigged creature bait like a beaver style bait. I have a lot of vegitation here and a t rigged beaver works through that stuff better than a jig. Other summer baits for big bass here are a large black Jitterbug, buzz bait, a Rattlin Spook, spinnerbaits, and frog baits. A big heavy football jig in certain lakes where it's usefull is also recommended, but my small natural local lakes don't have a need for them. No creekbeds or anything like that here. Just lots of grass. Other summertime baits catch good numbers, but your talking lunkers here. The tried and true worm is also an obvious go to bait, but I prefer the others for my taste. Fall into winter, I'll still be throwing a spinnerbait, but also the buzzbait and Spook in early to mid fall. Also I throw shallow to medium depth crankbaits throughout the fall period right up to late fall wherever I can find green live submerged grass beds. Late fall, I'll be throwing the jig again, along with a jerk bait, and again the spinnerbait. Can ya tell I love spinnerbaits? Now, I didn't mention lipless cranks for two reasons. After many many years of never scoring with them, I have just started having success with them the past couple years. And although I know they have taken some huge bass, I've never scored anything larger than 3 pounds on one. So just speaking from my own personal observations.
Old 05-24-12, 09:10 PM   #14
lilmule

A lot of swimbaiters are also looking for musky.
Try smaller 4 in ones first then if you like it go 5 then 6 but looking for one two bites a day,from 5 lb bass and up.Also a great schooling bait when busting,but what lure wont work then.
Made famous by cali fishermen tossing rainbow trout patterns where they actually stock small rainbow trout at.
You can also place a few on A rigs and get a chiropractic workout as well a a personal physician.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-24-12 at 09:16 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 09:11 PM   #15
Bassboss

Ho boy! This can really be complicate! It's very much so something that is better learned than taught, but I'll give a whack at it! It's better to know what lures work better for what days, rather than what days work better for what lures if you get what I'm saying. I'll try to break it down for ya.

Texas Rigged Plastics:

Probably the most versatile, lures you can use, they're work on almost any given day on the water.

For Worms such as a 7" Power Worm, I think they tend to work best under these circumstances:

Little wind
Sparse weedy, or wooded cover
Water on the cleaner side. Creature baits tend to work better when their's less visibility.

I like to always use the lightest possible weight I can use, unless the fish tell me other wise. I usually start with a 1/8 oz bullet weight, with a straight shank worm hook. If the water's deeper, or their's a little more wind, 3/16 oz what I use.

For soft plastic stick baits (Senkos), clearer water is best, these lures don't put allot of vibration or attract allot of attention to themselves. They have to be seen to bit.

When I use creature baits, I'll use them when the water's murkier or they're not really committing to worms. I tend to use a little heavier weights as well, with an EWG hook.

Crankbaits:

Shallow crankbaits are good around any kind of shallow cover you can get them through. Windy days are my preference, or at least days when you got a little chop on the water. It helps break the image up when a fish look at it from below. This way they don't get a great look at to determine if it's a phony or not. The just react to it. You also want the bait knocking into something like wood or rock when ever you can. The quick change of motion can trigger a strik. Water temps from 55 - 70 are best IMO.

I don't use medium divers, or deep divers, so I'll let someone else cover this!

Spinnerbaits.

60 - 70 degrees are when they're be most amply chase down a spinnerbait. I see Keith responded to this tread as well, he's really a spinnerbait guy if their ever was one. Listen to him what he's got to say about these.

Frogs:

Weeds, weeds, weeds. Find some weeds and start chucking. As long as their's not a ton of wind, these are almost a sure bet to catch you a fish or two. They work best in warm water though, as soon as the temps start climbing into the 70's, I'll start throwing a frog around weeds.

I've just tipped the ice burg here and cover only a few baits and techniques I thought would be most helpful to a rookie, I don't wanna over whelm you. Let us know if you have any questions about specific lures.
Old 05-25-12, 03:31 AM   #16
Hoosier

Default Wow

Alot to take in at once i think that ill be litterally trying everything this weekend and report back to let you know what worked and what didnt. I feel like im a little out of my league to say the least. Ill take all this advice and apply it over the course of the spring summer and fall. I live in southern Indiana so i get alot of time to fish in some really descent weather. Newton lake is located here. http://www.lake-link.com/Illinois-La...unty-Illinois/

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.