Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-13, 04:56 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Kayak rigging ideas

I made a bracket from 1.25" PVC for the back deck of my Hobie PA-14 kayak. A friend of mine (Bob) just bought a new Hobie PA-14 and liked my idea so he fabricated one for his needs. The back deck/rod holders are just slightly different on my 2012 model and his 2013 model, so mine would not fit, but he set his up to fit his style of fishing as I did mine. So since he liked it I thought I would share the idea that other kayakers may fabricate on similiar to there brand of kayak. As it utilizes the existing rod holders molded into many FIHING kayaks one should be easily made to suit your style. i made mine to hold a small (32 qt) cooler that I use for additonal dry storage (as opposed to the usual milk crate) or with ice to hold my catch should I want to do that. Bob made his to hold a 48 qt cooler that he fabricated into a livewell. We both added other fittings to hold items out of the way but easily accessible. One of the problems of a kayak is keeping things organized and also easily reachable. Several pictures, and at the end I included the holder for my stake out pole. Check them out and should you have questions just PM me. Very cloudy today so my pictures are a little dark but viewable.

This is the bracket, and it fits right into the two rod holders molded into the kayak behind the seat. Easily removable for transport or it not needed on a particular outing.

Bracket in place.

Cooler in place, and I have a rod in the back although I rarely have one there, pliers in the front holder, and the rack is secured on each side with small bungie cords to existing fittings. I cut the back bungie (black) to fit the back deck with the cooler on board. I carry a change of clothes back there in a dry bag.

Same set up on this side, I use the holders for my gaff and small Frabil folding net (I highly recommend this one for kayakers, I think it was $14.00 at Walmart).

For my stake out pole I used two rubber clamps I found on Ebay, (I bought several). I have the same clamps on the other side to hold my paddle (the PA-14 does not come with mounts for a paddle along the side like most kayaks).

In the rear clamp I put a 5/8" PVC coupling (had to ream out the ridge inside with a dremel tool). The rear clamp is out of reach from the seat, so I can just unhook the front clamp and the pole slides out. Easy to remove and put back in.

My rack can also be reversed and used to stick rods out the back when crappie fishing or just as a rod holder when fishing open water. I don't think I will use it this way often, but it is versitile.

That's mine, Bob took my idea and made alterations to suit his set up.
He has a 48 qt cooler fabricated as a livewell, with tool holders on each side, little different from mine.

He put 4 rod holders at the back (rocket launcher style). I think they will be a little hard to reach, but his 2013 has a different, higher seat than mine, so it may not be a real issue.

Livewell plumbing: really pretty well thought out. The intake and overflow go out the bottom of the cooler and fit right into existing scupper holes in the kayak.

PVC is really easy to work with, adds little weight to the kayak, can be designed to fit your fishing needs, and doesn't cost much. All mine was 1.25" which fit my rod holder holes perfectly. You can adjust the rod and tool holders as you need.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-21-13 at 07:50 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 05:25 PM   #2
Jrob78

That turned out great! Really well thought out and executed. It's pretty amazing how much room those Hobie's have, they are like small bass boats. The cooler will be great for keeping your gear dry. I really like the stake out pole holder too.

After visiting with Walker yesterday, it really hit me how much I'm going to have to limit my tackle selection. I think it will be a good thing though, it will force me to try to formulate a plan and be more prepared when I go out.
Old 03-03-13, 11:51 AM   #3
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought a kayak. thanks for posting the Pics.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 12:28 PM   #4
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That really looks amazing!!!!!!
Old 03-04-13, 05:54 PM   #5
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

That ain't a Kayak....its a foot powered mini bass boat
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 10:44 AM   #6
MallenManson

Boogie, Maybe you've mentioned this before, but what kind of anchor system do you use?
I'm bored...and running through old threads
Old 04-01-13, 11:00 AM   #7
bassboogieman

I don't anchor. I have a stake out pole for shallow water. I guess it carries over from my bass boat fishing as I prefer to drift by or if not too windy, just float off whatever structure I may be fishing. The Hobie pedal drive is also an advantage in that you can point yourself into a breeze and maintain position with the flippers and keep hands free to fish. I just haven't found the need for an anchor. Maybe if I was crappie fishing over submerged trees then it may prove useful, but I don't target them. I just don't want to spend time setting an anchor and to fish several minutes in one spot, I much prefer to keep moving and covering water.
Old 04-01-13, 11:05 AM   #8
MallenManson

Sounds good!
I was gonna recommend an anchor trolley, but you don't need one!
Old 04-01-13, 11:30 AM   #9
joedog

Miike great advice.
I got one on each side but I use my 'pole' with the trolley too cause I fish some moving waters.
Use a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuaStN5VBg with a float on anchor rope so I can disconnect and fight fish, then go back and get anchor.

BUT, I'm very new to this Kayak Bassin deal and BRUCE has helped me A LOT!
Old 04-01-13, 11:41 AM   #10
MallenManson

Yep!
Bruce is a yak rigging guru!!!!
Old 04-01-13, 12:29 PM   #11
bassboogieman

My friend bought the Hobie anchor trolly... man it's worse than Harley parts, cost him close to $100 for the trolly, anchor and a HOBIE bag (10") to hold the anchor. Well I think that's outrageous. I can buy the anchor from Cabels for $20 (on sale right now) and I looked at the components for a trolly at Harbor freight and I can get a brass (Hobie's is plastic) ring, rope, and two pullys for another $20 and I'm done. $40 is a far cry from the Hobie PLASTIC stuff and the do-it-yourself is all metal, brass pulley and ring (no rust).

Joe has an excellent point - and it's why I actually looked at components to make my own - that using the anchor trolly with a stake out pole may be better than sticking the pole through a scupper. Still thinking about it, but for now the scupper thing is working ok for the few times I actually use the stake out pole.
Old 04-01-13, 12:37 PM   #12
joedog

Trolleys cost me $29 per trolly and parts to install.
Hobie isn't inexpensive for anything and a trolley is a trolley.
Probably will be adding a http://kayakfishinggear.com/driftchu...ftosummit.aspx soon.

Last edited by joedog; 04-01-13 at 12:52 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 02:20 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Drift sock is also on my list of "maybes". I say "maybe" because if it's blowing hard enough to need a drift sock, I'll probably do something else that day... OK, not really, as I fish some tidal water and the sock would be a definite aid when the current is flowing.

And remember MY $40 INCLUDED the anchor...
Old 04-01-13, 03:08 PM   #14
MallenManson

Trolley kits are pretty high no matter where you look.
I bought 2 Harken micro cheek block pulleys for 13.99 each, 4 rivets and a 1 1/2" SS O -Ring from Menard's.
Even counting the rope, I had under 35 bucks into it
Old 04-01-13, 04:12 PM   #15
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great setups!

I hope your friend keeps in mind that when that livewell is full, it is going to add a ton of weight to the 'yak. Be careful...
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 07:36 PM   #16
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Great setups!

I hope your friend keeps in mind that when that livewell is full, it is going to add a ton of weight to the 'yak. Be careful...
Not a bad problem to have
Old 04-02-13, 09:41 AM   #17
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Not a bad problem to have

Haha true. I meant full of water though. If he puts in 15 gallons, that's an extra 125lbs of weight
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 10:05 AM   #18
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Haha true. I meant full of water though. If he puts in 15 gallons, that's an extra 125lbs of weight
Yeah, I'd have to go on a diet to compensate.
Or do my usual non catching of fish

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.