Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-29-06, 09:11 PM   #26
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Gator (St. Croix blanks), St. Croix S-glass, GLoomis, All-Star, Falcon and Shimano......I'm a believer in getting rods for specific techniques. Some people believe that you should only use one brand.

If you pick brands that offer quality, and all the rod choices you could need, no need to keep looking around Between St Croix, and G-Loomis, and all their different styles/rods to choose from, I have no doubt I can get any rod for any application I want LOL. Now I have to admit not every rod I use is a St Croix or G-Loomis at this point. However I can tell you for certain, they eventually will be There are a awful lot of different brands that are quality rods. But I found the brands I'm happy with for quality/warranty/sensitivity. SO I have no desire to just keep trying out new rods. I went through tons of lines, and found what I(ME)(MYSELF) like. Everyone has their own preferences, that's why there are so many different brands listed here already. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, NOT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE LIKES

Lizards
Old 10-29-06, 09:16 PM   #27
kbkindle
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to kbkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
St.croix all the way. I'm thinking about saving up and getting a kistler
save your money and get two good st croix rods not that k rod kbkindle
way over priced
kbkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 09:28 PM   #28
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Ya, Laser, I usually spend the only two months outa the year that it isn't reasonable to fish making a rod or two. Blanks are just so expensive, it usually ends up being a x-mas present to myself! What's your favorite blank brand. Maybe I should try something other than loomis.

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 10:39 PM   #29
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Been building rods for 30 yrs or so and have wrapped just about everyone out there. All the name brands and a few not so known. Trying to get Airrus to sell me blanks. If ya havent fished one you just are missing pleasure. Light (Not as light as Fenwick AV's but lighter than Loomis) responsive and TRUE actions.50/50 on the M,80/20 on the MH and 90/10 on the heavy. Just a joy to fish with.
Old 10-29-06, 11:03 PM   #30
Jolly

Def give that a try... thx!

Jolly
Old 10-30-06, 06:22 AM   #31
pig n jig

For you Saint Croix users. http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=1888
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-06, 11:06 AM   #32
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I prefer lew's, airrus and shimano
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-06, 03:48 PM   #33
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleTester View Post
I like my own rods that I build...They are just so light and sensetive...i do like the Gander Mountain brand rods as well..>Great for the money
Hey tackle tester ifn ya dont mind me being a custom rod builder myself what blanks do you use. I have wrappws just about everything out there but am always up to trying a new one. What blank do ya use???? Inquiring minds what to know????
Old 10-30-06, 10:10 PM   #34
weaverml34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
Falcon's and g-loomis blanks building your own rods... unbeatable.
Jolly where do you get the Falcon blanks? Or do you just use G-Loomis for building you own rods? I've been looking to get into making rods as a winter time hobby and I'm trying to decide what blanks to use. I'm thinking about buying a Lamiglas Competitor blank for my first rod. The blanks are around $30.00 and I've heard they are a pretty good rod. Plus if I mess it up too bad I'm not out $120.00-$150.00 just on a blank.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-06, 10:27 PM   #35
Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
Jolly where do you get the Falcon blanks? Or do you just use G-Loomis for building you own rods? I've been looking to get into making rods as a winter time hobby and I'm trying to decide what blanks to use. I'm thinking about buying a Lamiglas Competitor blank for my first rod. The blanks are around $30.00 and I've heard they are a pretty good rod. Plus if I mess it up too bad I'm not out $120.00-$150.00 just on a blank.
Ya I usually just use G-Loomis blanks. They are worth the price. I bet if you look online you can find the falcon blanks ... but I dunno.

Sorry,

Jolly
Old 10-31-06, 06:28 PM   #36
geno
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to geno

I guess they call me a Loomis Monkey, I have a few (to manny). Wish they still had the Weebe handles on them loved the offset.
Geno
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 07:58 PM   #37
pig n jig

Strap, I think Janns Netcraft carries Falcon blanks.I know I have seen them in a catalog I get,I'm almost positive it was in Janns Netcraft. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 08:21 PM   #38
Vabass22

I love my Falcon rod, I have a Cabelas spinnerbait rod that is decent, Pfleuger rods are OK(nothing special, wouldnt touch another one of their reels though). Looking at teh ST Croix, but my next rod will be a 'mano.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 11:55 PM   #39
Jolly

weverm, how do the lamiglas competitor rods fish. I looked at em and they are expensive! Are they as good or better than g-loomis rods? Let me know.

Jolly
Old 11-01-06, 09:39 PM   #40
weaverml34

PNJ- I was on Jann's web site the other night and didn't see them on there. Maybe I just missed them. It seems like a year or two ago that quite a few rod manufacturers sold just their blanks. You used to be able to by All Star blanks off of their web site but they quit selling them for some reason.

Jolly- I couldn't tell you how the Lamiglas competitor rods fish. I've read some good things about them on some rod building sites. I guess they are huge on the west coast. If I remember right the one member who posted on this thread that said he uses them was from Washington. I downloaded their price catalog for their blanks and the competitor blanks run between $30-35.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 11:43 AM   #41
TXBASSNINJA
BassFishin.Com Member

Lagunas Are My Choice,never Had A Prob With Them Down Here In Texas.
TXBASSNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 11:10 PM   #42
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

what part of texas you from ninja?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 11:13 PM   #43
fishinfortune

all i use is the cheapest i can find . i have used shearespeare,abu garcia, anda bass pro extreme.all the cheapest ones at wally world . i hate the 2 abus i got for $20. one of the tips snapped and i have had all cinds of breaks with them . i like the shearespeare i got for $15 AT WALLY .IT WORKS GREAT.i ve never used a rod over about $40
fishinfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 11:18 PM   #44
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

lol what you said is funny! same here, ithe most expensive rod i have ever fished with is a 30 dollar one at wal mart. it has worked awesome for me, and i will be getting more when the time comes.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 11:25 AM   #45
skeeter944

the most inexpensive rod i have owned and ifshed with is the cheap mantis combo from wally world. it was $15 bucks,and both reels broke but the rods are still going fine. i have caught over 100 bass in 2 years of fishing with these rods.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 11:50 AM   #46
mymomisbecky

scheels brand. guide series. run about 100 bucks. lifetime warranty. anything happens, bring in to store, immediate swap. hell of a nice rod. I wont buy a loomis or st croix again.. they feel as good as the big boys for half or less the price.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 01:35 PM   #47
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Airrus (you guys should check these out, they might just be the best rods for what they cost!!) and St. Croix
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 07:34 PM   #48
Jolly

squack15, are they about as good as a falcon or better like loomis or something... the price is in the neighborhood.

Jolly
Old 11-04-06, 01:16 PM   #49
Deacon

I own a few brands of rods but would have to say that I have really been impressed lately with my Lamiglass rods. I have 3 and all of them are strong, lightweight and durable. I have a dropshot rod, crank and blade rod and my lighter weight jig and wormin rod. I really really like them. Yeah the cost a bit more but this is a situation where I think you get what you pay for!!!!

I also have a few Fenwicks I really like. I have a 7ft med-heavy 10-20. That is the perfect topwater rod(imo). It has landed me fish up to 9lbs with no problem....Zook should like that! These rods are damn near indestructible!!!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 01:23 PM   #50
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.