Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-01-08, 02:05 PM   #1
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hooks!

Ive been crankin all season and have had a bit of problems staying hooked up.Ive made the changes to my rods,reels and line. Im still working on hooks, bumping up the hook size on a few of my baits have helped with the landing ratio but now have the problem of fishing clean.Ive also removed one of the points on the trebles and do fish a little cleaner

Let me here a few of your thoughts.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:33 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i replace my treble hooks on everything with mustad triple grips and it has solved a lot of my problems.
Old 10-01-08, 03:38 PM   #3
chubs

I also like the triple grips but still they still seem to skin hook alot of fish mostly with the size 6
Old 10-01-08, 09:09 PM   #4
fishin' fool

I do like the mustad triple grips, but they aren't a 100% fix. The best suggestion is just replace any trebles to a bigger size. I did this this year and my hook to land percentage on cranks is probably 80% now. And most important, make sure your hooks are very sharp. It pays to shell out an extral dollar for quality hooks!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 12:15 PM   #5
JRL

I had the same problem with my jigging spoons and peacock bass. Switched over to owners, plus up sizing one size.
Old 10-02-08, 01:41 PM   #6
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
Ive been crankin all season and have had a bit of problems staying hooked up.Ive made the changes to my rods,reels and line. Im still working on hooks, bumping up the hook size on a few of my baits have helped with the landing ratio but now have the problem of fishing clean.Ive also removed one of the points on the trebles and do fish a little cleaner

Let me here a few of your thoughts.

let's forget about hooks for a second and focus on your retrevial. How are you pulling on the fish? A mistake many angler make is pulling straight up. Its fine to pull up on a fish for two reasons. 1) The hookset. 2) The fish is in deep water directly below the boat. When using trebles, you should only be pulling the fish from the side. If you can tell which direction the fish is pulling, pull from the same direction. For example, if the fish is swimming towards the right, you should be pulling to the right. If the fish is swimming left, pull to the left. This prevents you from putting to much force on the line/hooks. You shouldn't force a fish while using trebles either. Trebles are nortorious for coming undone when using a lot of force. Try to anticipate a bass jumping. Watch what the line is doing. If you see the fish is about to jump, try putting the rod tip down towards the water, or even into the water. If using braid, keep in mind there is no stretch, therefore you should only keep the line taught (not tight) so it can "absorb" some of the impact. Most people disagree with using braid on crankbaits, but if you can find that happy medium of keeping the line taught, there are benefits. The thinner line allows the lure to dive deeper and cast further and the stronger braid holds onto my Lucky Craft lures a lot better. I have somewhat of an unorthodox approach to crankbaits but have a lot of sucess with it. I use braid with a Medium Heavy rod and rarely lose fish while using trebles, its all in the technique of fighting the fish.

Also keep in mind, removing a point on the treble will cause your hookup percentage to drop. If you're catching that much grass on the lure, maybe you should switch to a slightly shallower runner.
Old 10-02-08, 05:43 PM   #7
chubs

Thanks for the post Rob,basically what your saying that you dont have a prefrence in hooks.
I also rearly loose a fish, Im looking to not lose a fish when it counts, maybe your right Ill start paying closer attention when I do have a fish comes un-buttoned It may just be my own error.
Old 10-02-08, 06:37 PM   #8
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
Thanks for the post Rob,basically what your saying that you dont have a prefrence in hooks.
I also rearly loose a fish, Im looking to not lose a fish when it counts, maybe your right Ill start paying closer attention when I do have a fish comes un-buttoned It may just be my own error.

I don't have a whole lot of preferences when it comes to hooks, it just has to be sharp and strong. If it possesses those two qualities, its good enough. If I'm fishing a small crankbait, I might go to a larger treble.
Old 10-02-08, 07:14 PM   #9
rrw4258

I always try to keep the rodtip in the water... and for crankbaits, i switch almost all hooks over to gammy trebles... Rarely loose any fish.

Ryan
Old 10-03-08, 01:27 AM   #10
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

I replace all of my crankbait hooks. Anytime I have just used the stock hooks I have seem to have issues with fish coming unbuttoned.
I use triple grips up front and the VMC David Fritts Sure Set in the back (usually red). I have never had an issue with this combination. In fact, I would feel comfortable saying that the Sure Set Hooks on the back have definitely increased my catch percentage.
Some of the Storm Big Bass cranks come with these on I also try to NEVER get the tip of my rod above my waist when I am hooked up on a crankbait. Not a good idea to put that type of pressure on them and have the fish start jumping. Keep them down and your results will be much better. Rodman has some great information in his reply! My personal preference for a rod is a St. Croix Cranking rod. I used to use just a medium rod, but there is a noticable difference in the preformance of a rod that is made specifically for cranking. You will notice it in your cast as well as the "hook set" the rod does all the work. I will say that it is an individual choice meaning what ever you are comfortable with. Sorry this is so long, but it is one of my favorite methods.
Good luck and keep cranking!

Last edited by bhfishman; 10-03-08 at 01:36 AM.
bhfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 06:53 PM   #11
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

i like the gamys, haven't had any real prob with them and i'm above 95 hook up ratio
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 07:25 PM   #12
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Try a softer rod i.e. a wimpier rod. This will allow the fish to suck the crankbait in deeper and also resist tearout.
Old 10-06-08, 06:13 PM   #13
Cranebird

They're difficult to find but I have had great luck using VMC Barbarian trebles.I don't know why, they just work. Ivan
Old 10-06-08, 07:27 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
let's forget about hooks for a second and focus on your retrevial. How are you pulling on the fish? A mistake many angler make is pulling straight up. Its fine to pull up on a fish for two reasons. 1) The hookset. 2) The fish is in deep water directly below the boat. When using trebles, you should only be pulling the fish from the side. If you can tell which direction the fish is pulling, pull from the same direction. For example, if the fish is swimming towards the right, you should be pulling to the right. If the fish is swimming left, pull to the left. This prevents you from putting to much force on the line/hooks. You shouldn't force a fish while using trebles either. Trebles are nortorious for coming undone when using a lot of force. Try to anticipate a bass jumping. Watch what the line is doing. If you see the fish is about to jump, try putting the rod tip down towards the water, or even into the water. If using braid, keep in mind there is no stretch, therefore you should only keep the line taught (not tight) so it can "absorb" some of the impact. Most people disagree with using braid on crankbaits, but if you can find that happy medium of keeping the line taught, there are benefits. The thinner line allows the lure to dive deeper and cast further and the stronger braid holds onto my Lucky Craft lures a lot better. I have somewhat of an unorthodox approach to crankbaits but have a lot of sucess with it. I use braid with a Medium Heavy rod and rarely lose fish while using trebles, its all in the technique of fighting the fish.

Also keep in mind, removing a point on the treble will cause your hookup percentage to drop. If you're catching that much grass on the lure, maybe you should switch to a slightly shallower runner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhfishman View Post
I replace all of my crankbait hooks. Anytime I have just used the stock hooks I have seem to have issues with fish coming unbuttoned.
I use triple grips up front and the VMC David Fritts Sure Set in the back (usually red). I have never had an issue with this combination. In fact, I would feel comfortable saying that the Sure Set Hooks on the back have definitely increased my catch percentage.
Some of the Storm Big Bass cranks come with these on I also try to NEVER get the tip of my rod above my waist when I am hooked up on a crankbait. Not a good idea to put that type of pressure on them and have the fish start jumping. Keep them down and your results will be much better. Rodman has some great information in his reply! My personal preference for a rod is a St. Croix Cranking rod. I used to use just a medium rod, but there is a noticable difference in the preformance of a rod that is made specifically for cranking. You will notice it in your cast as well as the "hook set" the rod does all the work. I will say that it is an individual choice meaning what ever you are comfortable with. Sorry this is so long, but it is one of my favorite methods.
Good luck and keep cranking!
The bold print is pretty much what I use. I will also state IMHO you have to have your drag set "EXTREMELY LOOSE". Playing the fish is the most important thing when using any trebble baits. I fish for a lot of snook now also, and you have to paly the fish or it power and strength will tear it's own mouth while getting free, you must wear it out, and not try to ski it to the boat. I also like the Mustad tripple grips, due to the hook bends. If you are getting hung up with your baits some then you are fishing them in the correct spots, however using floating cranks, and knowing what your bait is doing, such as rubbing on a branch, or catching grass, or bumping off rocks, or scratching the bottom is important. The braid, with the St Croix rod is been superb in helping me with this. When approaching a branch for example, let off the retrieve at the last moment sometimes, to allow the floater to rise up over the obstacle and then start the retrieve again, sometimes this stop and go retrieve is the tciket for catching the bass even in open water. Just make sure you hooks are sharp reguardless of what brand/size/style you use.

Lizards
Old 10-06-08, 08:30 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

Gamakatsu size 4 hooks on front and back (even if the bait's stock hooks are smaller).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 10:18 PM   #16
flfireman

Rodman I agree with you almost 100%. I too use a med-heavy rod w/ braid, I also upgrade usually to 1 size larger trebles. I mostly use gammies on mine. The part I disagree with is not cutting the leading hook on a treble. I fish a heavily wooded area, as I know you do regularly. I have found having my leading treble clipped off has prevented tons of would be hangups. I also have not experienced a loss or decrease in hook ups. I hit a lot of timber on every cast and when I am fishing grass, I would rather rip it through quickly than actually having to tear it forcefully through the grass. Everything else is dead on, I guess the latter is more of a preference.
Old 10-07-08, 10:47 AM   #17
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Rodman I agree with you almost 100%. I too use a med-heavy rod w/ braid, I also upgrade usually to 1 size larger trebles. I mostly use gammies on mine. The part I disagree with is not cutting the leading hook on a treble. I fish a heavily wooded area, as I know you do regularly. I have found having my leading treble clipped off has prevented tons of would be hangups. I also have not experienced a loss or decrease in hook ups. I hit a lot of timber on every cast and when I am fishing grass, I would rather rip it through quickly than actually having to tear it forcefully through the grass. Everything else is dead on, I guess the latter is more of a preference.
I'll cut the hook fishing flooded timber, but I won't do it if I'm just fishing a grassy or weedy area.
Old 10-08-08, 10:15 AM   #18
keithdog

I have to agree with you lizards about adjusting your drag. I'm not sure about setting the drag "extremely" loose, but I definately back off the drag when I'm using cranks. I want that fish to be able to pull some line when nosediving with my crank. Also I might add that I see too many anglers oversetting the hook when a bass strikes. For the most part, when a bass strikes my crank, I just keep pressure on the fish with a bit of a tug initially. If your using good quality sharp hooks, they will sink home nicely without tearing the fishes mouth. Lastly I want to add something that I do when a bass is about to jump. When I see that the fish is about to jump I thrust my rod tip to the water and give it a gentle but quick pull parralel to the water. I'm going to say about 90 percent of the time, that stops a bass from jumping for me before he goes airborn. So far this little manuever hasn't cost me any fish.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 01:45 AM   #19
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

some times we all get a little heavy handed then we over compensate by giving too much im sure you already knew that. seems we have alot of great tips and opinions here thats awsome
Flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 11:53 PM   #20
chubs

Thanks guys for all the input I have tried a few of the hooks that you all have talked about and will try the rest.I was out today and boated 32 out of 34 fish that hit my rattle baits the bite is slowing down up here and the ice is coming but have a few more days left.
Keithdog, Ill try that little tip on the jumping bass sounds intresting thanks
Old 10-10-08, 11:50 AM   #21
Wishing2BFishing

"and the ice is coming but have a few more days left"

Seriously, the ice isn't too far away? Yikes. And I thought Pennsylvania's good weather season was short.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 05:43 PM   #22
chubs

If the weather stays nice the bigger lakes will stay open till Dec ,but the smaller lakes and bays could freeze up by Nov, the lake that I was on last nite had a surface temp 51 so Im sure Ill get a few more weeks of bassin.
Old 10-10-08, 06:23 PM   #23
zooker

i use tripple grips and gammy's.. the vmc sure set hooks are fine on the back but not up front..they tend to hang a LOT.. i fish alot of wood and gnarl-steel, cement, rip rap-as i use alot of small cranks going up a size is not an option.. a bandit 100 is a fish loosen bait if ever there was one.. i simply replace the hook on the back of the bait with a longer shanked treble..this has solved most of my problems...

though i tend to disagree with lizard on his tackle choices when cranking. i do agree with the sloppy loose drag.. while yes some times ya just have to horse a fish from cover i dislike this idea.. i rather set the hook and work the fish in. if they are pulling drag that means the hooks are under consistant pressure and rarely pull out.. the key is to be patient with a fish on the bait. fish will work them self free about 40% of the time. i have lost only two fish#knocks on wood# this year that i have caught on a crankbait. i have caught well over 500 bass on cranks this year. think about it...

zooker
Old 10-11-08, 02:54 PM   #24
chubs

Im sold on the Triple grips. Im over 500 also but have lost far more than 2,ok you say loose drag Ill go even less than I am now.

technique,technique,technique.
Old 10-11-08, 04:24 PM   #25
zooker

should have the drag set sloopy loose -in other words it barely pulls on hook set-

a limber glass stick also helps alot -however some girly men complain about them being too heavy..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.