Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-03-10, 09:22 PM   #1
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trolling Motor Woes

Folks,
I need your help. I have a 10 year old Motorguide 109 and it now only works on high bypass. I talked to the local authorized dealer/repair guy and he tells me the mosfetts or the controller are bad and either way he can't get the parts any more because no one makes them. He said I can upgrade it to the digital model for about $550 or buy a new one for about $1000. Both of those options are out the window as my truck is currently in the shop getting head studs put in and that is going to set me back plenty. Surely someone somewhere has figured out how to fix these things. Any help would be appreciated.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 10:32 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

try ebay, or craigslist. you might find a parts troller there. other thn that, i give up too. i am in need of a new model myself.
Old 09-03-10, 11:06 PM   #3
XIntel007

So what do you do, use it on high?
Old 09-05-10, 08:19 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Xintel....your dealer is either very dishonest, very lazy, or an idiot.

A MOSFET is a basic electronic component. I promise you someone somewhere makes one for your motor.
Old 09-05-10, 11:59 AM   #5
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIntel007 View Post
Folks,
I need your help. I have a 10 year old Motorguide 109 and it now only works on high bypass. I talked to the local authorized dealer/repair guy and he tells me the mosfetts or the controller are bad and either way he can't get the parts any more because no one makes them. He said I can upgrade it to the digital model for about $550 or buy a new one for about $1000. Both of those options are out the window as my truck is currently in the shop getting head studs put in and that is going to set me back plenty. Surely someone somewhere has figured out how to fix these things. Any help would be appreciated.
ill take a stab and say you drive a 6.0 liter powerstroke?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 06:27 PM   #6
XIntel007

I thought the same thing about the Mosfets. I am familiar with them and figured that someone somewhere must be manufacturing new boards. Its a small item located in the motor housing but so far I have not found anyone making a replacement.

Yes I proudly drive a Ford 6.0. While the design of a few items (EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler and head bolts instead of studs) lacks some real engineering the truck is great. My love of Ford was only increased when they didn't take a dime of my tax money to bail them out of the slump. About 5 months ago I noticed my coolant and oil temps beginning to separate by more than 15 degrees which indicates the oil cooler is plugging up. If the oil cooler plugs then the EGR cooler does not receive the coolant necessary to deal with exhaust gas temps exceeding 1300 degrees which causes a flash boil in the cooler. Repeated flash boiling causes the EGR cooler to split which can hydro-lock the engine. I preemptively changed the EGR to a new design which was supposed to be better and removed the oil cooler in lieu of a remote cooler near the radiator. Well, 3k miles later the new EGR cooler split hydro-locking the engine. So while I had it at the stealer I told them to go ahead and remove the cooler and replace the bolts with ARP studs. Its not cheap but I have a heavy foot and an extra 150 hp.

I would have gone with a Dodge because the Cummins is a great engine but their transmissions, interiors and chassis does not live up to my expectations. When's the last time you saw a Dodge ambulance, tow truck etc..... ????

I would have gone with a Chevy but if you push over 500 hp you should replace the rods before you end up seeing it laying on the ground next to your truck and I don't like Chevy.

I would much rather fix the known problems in my 6.0. Actually, if I won the lottery I would rather have the new 6.7 F-350 but as my Grandfather would say, "If wishes were fishes we would have a fish fry."
Old 09-06-10, 02:44 PM   #7
bassfisher

You can try calling my troll motor repair man, he might be able to help. Dave Smoot at 859-272-3632. Lexington, Ky. He's member on here, but I hardly ever see him on. I think he even goes by davesmoot or something like that on here.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 03:02 PM   #8
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

any chance its just the pot. and not the Mosfets?
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-10, 10:45 AM   #9
XIntel007

I initially asked the repair shop the same question but he would not even attempt to check it.
Old 09-10-10, 05:54 PM   #10
lilmule

If its a foot control just buy another foot control part off ebay,or a used troller,generally less than what your repair bill would be,might have to settle for less than a 109 they arnt many of those generally.
I did see a great white go for about 360 few weeks back
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motor...ssoriesQ5fGear
5 days left 100 starting bid
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 06:59 PM   #11
XIntel007

Thanks for the link but I am inclined to think it is the mosfets in the actual head of the motor. I will keep looking because i just cant believe someone has not figured out how to fix them.
Old 09-15-10, 08:14 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

Is this the motor that has a 12/24 rocker switch on the foot pedal.?

Capt Mike
Old 09-15-10, 09:48 PM   #13
XIntel007

I don't believe so. Its a 36V 109 lb trolling motor.
Old 09-16-10, 12:52 PM   #14
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

dont spend the money to repair it. who knows what else may be wrong with the motor. I had the same issue on mine. I just ponied up and bought a new one. if you do the update it could only be so long before something else goes wrong. i know it hurts to spend the money but you just have too. B.O.A.T Break Out Another Thousand. unfortunately thats true.
Old 09-26-10, 11:22 PM   #15
ski
BassFishin.Com Member

My MG 82 crapped out and needed the digital conversion. I was told the parts are no longer available to repair the older MG's. This was told to me by the dealer who was told this by new manufacture. (I forget who they said bought Motor Guide)
My trolling motor sat at the dealer for 2 weeks. When I went to get it I asked if I owed any money. They called to see if the parts were shipped (I would be liable) and were told no because the digital conversions were on back order and werent expected to be shipped for over a month. This was back in the beginning of July.

I ended up buying a MK Maxxum 80.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 07:48 AM   #16
XIntel007

Yeah, I think I am going to save up some money over the winter and buy a new 109 or a Minkota 101.
Old 09-29-10, 08:22 PM   #17
flfireman

I believe Mercury runs or owns Motorguide now. If not they sure carry a lot of the merchandise for them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.