Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-28-04, 10:17 PM   #1
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20
Default Fishing and Wind

Hey. Thought this might help somebody.

Fishing and Wind.

Windy days. Love them or hate them, they are a part of fishing we must learn to live with.
If you are like most anglers, you moan at the thought of fishing on windy days.
You would just as soon roll over and sleep awhile. Do it, and you are going to miss some prime bassing.

There are many more advantages to fishing in the wind, than there are disadvantages.
But, to fish the wind successfully, you must know a few things.

Why wind is a fishermans best friend.
Wind is our friend.

It blows the food on which the bait feeds toward the shoreline the wind is pounding: Where the bait is, the bass are.The bass will generally position themselves at the rear of the school of baitfish. Thus eating any that try to escape.

It can create mudline in shallow water:This creates a natural ambush point for the bass to attack the bait.
I can not tell you the number of times in which I have caught a limit or more of bass by fishing the lure parallel to the mudline created by wind. The bass set up inside the mudline, and ambush prey that comes to close.

It stirs up the water and creates more oxygen for the fish: This allows the fish to become more active.
I have seen a bad day fishing go good when the wind picked up and inactive fish suddenly turned on due to increases in oxygen. This is especially true in the heat of summer.

It Prevents light penetration:This allows the bass to come into shallower water to feed.

How to fish windy days.

Find the shore that is being pounded by the wind and waves.
Position the boat so you cast INTO the wind. While this can be maddening with a baitcaster, I have found the use of a spinning outfit ideal in this situation.

I like the Falcon 6'6 MH spinning rod, with a Pflueger Trion Spinning reel, and 12# Spiderwire Fusion.

I use one of two lures. I use either a Signature Trap made by Carolina Chips,
or a 1/2oz. Double Paw Spinnerbait made by Retriever Lures.
I like these because they are heavy enough to throw into the wind.

Cast into the wind and retrieve steadily. I have much better success with this technique, than by throwing WITH the wind.

The disadvantages to fishing the wind.

Backlashes. Hence the reason I use spinning gear.

Boat positioning. It is more difficult to hold position in the wind.

Which winds are best.

Southerly or Westerly winds are best. I am really not sure why, but I do not have a good of a success rate when the wind is from the North or East.

Do not fear the wind and what the windy days may hold. Go forth. Venture out into the gale. Some wonderful bass fishing awaits.

Charles Graves
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-04, 10:40 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: Fishing and Wind

good post
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 04:28 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

boss
i love fishing in wind but i prefur to use bait casting gear.
i use a blade and a lil george because ya can chunk them a mile. great post

half the fun is tring to hold the boat still

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 06:31 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
half the fun is tring to hold the boat still
You are a sick man, Zooker ;D!

Good post, BB-Here in Texas from January to September all we have is wind. I've discovered the same thing-I have better luck fishing the wind blown banks, but when the wind is strong enough to blow the hair off a dog it ain't easy.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 08:32 PM   #5
djr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to djr

Question , How can you cast into the wind blowing toward the bank if you are in a boat? That means you would have to throw towards the middle , wouldnt it? Unless i am missing something.
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 09:00 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

points like a boot knife have 2 sides ya sit on the far side and cast into the wind acrossed the point...
do not attempt this with bait casting tackle unless ya do it alot.

reb i have never been known to be "normal"

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 09-29-04, 09:04 PM   #7
djr
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to djr

Zooker that makes sense for a point on the lake ,but the shoreline is all that was mentioned here. Bass dont just hang out on points.
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 09:59 PM   #8
bassguy2004

If you're facing into the wind, then you have to cast approximately 45 degrees to the bank. Besides you never want to cast perpendicular to the bank because if the fish are in 8 to 10 feet, you only fish a small piece of the "fish zone". By fishing paralell or 45 degrees to it, the bait stays in the "fish zone" longer.
Old 09-30-04, 03:05 PM   #9
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

dawg
simple when fishing large bodies of water with hundreds of miles of shore line. odds are they are on points. this dose not mean alot of the fish are on a certain bank or along a strech of grass. the point is the first thing in alot of lakes hit by the wind. fish tend to stack up on them when it does .

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 09-30-04, 04:12 PM   #10
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

Yet time after time after time after time for me the sheltered (no wind) side is better for me than the windblown side.

Guess I'm just different, but it works for me!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 04:55 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=news;num=1096420660;start=0#7 date=09/29/04 at 20:59:25]If you're facing into the wind, then you have to cast approximately 45 degrees to the bank. Besides you never want to cast perpendicular to the bank because if the fish are in 8 to 10 feet, you only fish a small piece of the "fish zone". By fishing paralell or 45 degrees to it, the bait stays in the "fish zone" longer. [/quote]

I think you have a good point, however if you already know what the pattern is, and where the fish are holding. For example the fish are all about 12" off the weedline at 6' in depth, then fishing at a 45 degree angle is cheating yourself "fish zone" time. If you fish the pattern, parallel to the shore then you are in the "fish zone" constantly instead of just momentarily. I will say I usually follow this exact pattern to establish the pattern, and once I find it, I start hitting the pattern on a parallel to the shore to keep it in the "fish zone" a lot longer. Of course this is when we are talking about the fish being on a pattern, up by or along the shoreline.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 05:00 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

dang lizard and ya claim you don't tourny fish. but you are right in a tourny the whole idea is to keep in the strike zone as much as possible. if they are on this type pattern i would work it exactly like what you just posted lizard.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 09-30-04, 05:25 PM   #13
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Nice post, follow some of the same myself. Just hate the fact that my right calf ends up being so much bigger than the left. Yes lizard does sound like a pro!
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 08:12 PM   #14
bassguy2004

Lizards, when I was answering the post, I forget that I normally think like a no-boater, so my 45 degree idea is correct, because there is no way I could fish parallel to the bank. If I did I'd be casting over the top of my boaters head, and they don't like that. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.
Old 10-01-04, 07:18 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassguy2004 link=board=news;num=1096420660;start=0#13 date=09/30/04 at 19:12:28]Lizards, when I was answering the post, I forget that I normally think like a no-boater, so my 45 degree idea is correct, because there is no way I could fish parallel to the bank. If I did I'd be casting over the top of my boaters head, and they don't like that. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.[/quote]

If you're a non boater, and the driver is paralleling the shore why not just parallel it from the back. Use a different lure, and yes the water is used, but no way is anyone gonna catch em all. Plus you may get them with a different bait, that they wanted, or he could have got em interested, just to have you catch em. If he's using a spinner, then throw a worm/pnj/crank. If they are in a pattern, then fish the pattern. Now again as stated I don't tournament fish YET, but this is what I would do. And your response was fine, this is just the tactics I would employ. Many others would do differently. Needless to say that the boat driver should not be back boating ya, if that's what you are saying.

zooker and flfireman,

thanks for the good words. To me Bassin is just using your knowledge of the patterns, and working those. I seem to put a lot of thought into different tactics, and techniques, sometimes a lot more than I should. At least a couple of guys agree with my plan

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-04, 12:50 PM   #16
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=news;num=1096420660;start=0#14 date=10/01/04 at 18:18:21]

If you're a non boater, and the driver is paralleling the shore why not just parallel it from the back. Â*Use a different lure, and yes the water is used, but no way is anyone gonna catch em all. Â*Plus you may get them with a different bait, that they wanted, or he could have got em interested, just to have you catch em. Â*If he's using a spinner, then throw a worm/pnj/crank. Â*If they are in a pattern, then fish the pattern. Â*Now again as stated I don't tournament fish YET, but this is what I would do. Â*And your response was fine, this is just the tactics I would employ. Â*Many others would do differently. Â*Needless to say that the boat driver should not be back boating ya, if that's what you are saying.

zooker and flfireman,

thanks for the good words. Â*To me Bassin is just using your knowledge of the patterns, and working those. Â*I seem to put a lot of thought into different tactics, and techniques, sometimes a lot more than I should. Â*At least a couple of guys agree with my plan

Lizards[/quote]

Nah dude, he's talking about us out there in kickboats/tubes
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.