Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-04-10, 11:39 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hey 3D-HookSets and Drags on chatterbaits

I mentioned 3D, because he is really making a killing with the chatterbait, but of course, I am open to anyone's suggestions.

I have been tossing the chatterbait a lot the past two weeks and have gotten alot of hits. I just haven't landed as many as I had hoped. I have been crssing their eyes like I would with a spinnerbait, but am wondering if that is the right hookset. I keep a fairly tight drag with this presentation as well.
So, does anyone suggest a lighter hookset or looser drag with the chatterbait and spinnerbaits?
Old 06-04-10, 04:47 PM   #2
3dkicker

The rods I catch most of my fish on are a 6' Loomis M F and Quantum 6'6" ML or M F but couldn't give any more info on them. Not the high end stuff that's for sure. The Loomis has a little more backbone but I do miss a few fish on it. Not after the hook set though. Once hooked up I rarely miss one.
I stick with 14lb test mono or higher. Right now I believe I have 15lb - forget the brand - on right now. Might be 17. Anyways it's pretty tough. Reel is a 6.3:1 Shimano Scorpion left hand.
Hook set is delayed slightly after I feel the fish swim away with the bait. Most of the time the fish don't "hit" my baits. They suck them in and swim off and the rod loads up. I have found that if the fish is moving to my left and I set to the left I will lose fish. Especially if it is swimming towards me. Take the time to determine which direction the fish is going and set the opposite direction or in some cases up.
I hope this helps.
Old 06-04-10, 04:58 PM   #3
Jim80

Cass use a trailer hook with it man it helps a bunch

Jim
Old 06-05-10, 05:20 AM   #4
walkeraviator

Here is my experience with Spinnerbaits...I use a 5'6" M F rod with 6:1ish retrieve and 12lb mono... when i get struck, its like 3d says...the baits loads up my rig and i simply lift straight up on th erod tip like i would setting trebles on a crankbait... i dont jerk their lips off i simply add pressure... as for chatterbaits... i bought my first one this year and havent caught a thing on it yet... but eye crossing makes me nervous because of the way its constructed... a line snap, and the blade connected to the head has so many places for failure if you just jerk the piss out of it...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 06:41 AM   #5
bassboogieman

I use co-poly line (now trying flurocarbon) on a 6'6" M/F rod. I do not use an "eye crossing" hook set (don't with spinnerbaits either). When a fish hits I drop the rod tip, taking up slack until I feel the weight of the fish (kinda like when fishing a frog), then set the hook with a side sweep of the rod. My preference on a chatterbait is not to use a trailer hook, but I rarely use one on a spinnerbait either.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 08:51 AM   #6
Jim80

I use the booyah boogie bait chatterbaits , they have a spring like area in between the jig head and they hook so that the hook will flex during a fight . That design in my eyes has helped keep more fish hooked up .

jim
Old 06-05-10, 03:30 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
... a line snap, and the blade connected to the head has so many places for failure if you just jerk the piss out of it...
I haven't had a problem with the line snap with bass. I did have two bust with the snakeheads but they're replaceable. One thing with the chatterbaits and knock-offs is that you need to sharpen the hooks. They do get dull.
Old 06-05-10, 10:37 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Check the hooks. The chatterbaits I have right out of the package have hooks about as sharp as a Q tip. My hookup rate went way up when I sharpened the hook.
Old 06-05-10, 11:34 PM   #9
bassinbob

I have good luck with a lake fork swimbait on chatterbaits. I do use a somewhat heavy hookset to drive the hook but I don't cross their eyes.
Old 06-06-10, 09:07 PM   #10
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a Zoom Fluke in Baby Bass on my Original Chatterbait and have been killing them lately. Biggest one was 5lbs and he pretty much set himself, all I did was feel the weight of the fish and pull up a bit and nailed him dead between the eyes.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.