Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-21-11, 05:58 PM   #1
Champion5
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Newb Here 1st question

Hello all! I have been visiting your forum for awhile now and have learned a ton about fishing. I am a newb so there was no reason to sign up and participate in discussion since I am just reading and learning. I do have a question now and will take any help I can get. I just booked a slip at my local marina all summer long. I have a 2007 Champion 183CX and it's new home will be at the dock, in the water. I plan to take her out every couple weeks and give her a good cleaning. My question is, is there anything I need to upgrade or add to my boat that would be required to leave it wet docked all summer. I don't think this is very common for a bass boat, but getting it to and from the dock every time I want to go fish is a big pain. I talked with a couple boat shop owners and they only really recommended anti-fowling paint on the bottom. They also said if I can get her up to speed (over 50-60mph) once a week it would clean off the bottom. My main concern is I have a plastic drain plug that screws in and if water would get in the boat I do not have an auto turn on bilge. Any help would be awesome. I also want to that everyone on here for all the great info I've taken from this sight over the last several months.
Champion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 06:29 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Myself im not a fan of leaving a bb out in the weather,the finish clearcoat will dull in the direct sun,as for an auto bilge pump easy to install,cabelas or bass pro shop will have them,a small amount of 3/4 hose and a hose clamp routed out a vent on rear deck,once hooked to the battery will keep it relatively dry as long as battery is good,they will however drain the battery eventually.
I would myself consider covering even if on the water.
Would love to have a covered slip available to me,would never keep it in the water over a weekend but available when needed,somewhere to park for lunch etc.
As is your nice looking boat will be a dull finish after two years and need reclear coating,just my opinion.
And any green slime that gets on the bottom wont come off by sticking your foot in it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 07:47 PM   #3
bassboogieman

If you boat does NOT have a water seperation filter installed, I'd put one in before leaving it in the water for any extended time. Boat gas tanks are vented to the atmosphere, and in a very humid environment - you're sitting right on the water - it's more likely to have condensation in the fuel tank, as opposed to the boat sitting on a trailer at home. The other thing would be to install an auto bilge pump, rain can put a lot of water in the bilge, an auto pump would help with that. NO anti-foul paint on the hull of a bass boat.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 08:33 PM   #4
Champion5
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks! I will look into a water separation filter. And, I will buy an auto bilge pump. I have a custom cover that I will be using when I am not on the boat so I'm not too concerned about it fading. Should I be concerned about the plastic screw in plug? Should I replace it with a metal/rubber one?
Old 02-21-11, 11:00 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

everything these guys is good advise pal. welcoem as a new member! just try to get you a covered slip next time if there is one available. this will help you a lot. one more thing, make SURE oyu lock up ANY AND EVERY BOX on the boat. you'd be surprised how many batteries, trolling motors and such wind up missing at even the BEST of boat slips.
Old 02-22-11, 01:28 AM   #6
Bender

I assume there will be power available at the slip so I'd make sure you have a charger that gets even your cranking battery so that the bilge pump doesn't leave it dead. I would probably replace the original pump with an auto one and maybe even add a second one as a backup. My boat only has one right now and adding another is on my list of things to do. If your boat is ever taking on water you can never have enough bilge pumps. Is the slip in a very calm place? I'd be careful so the boat doesn't beat against the dock all day too.

I would think that your plastic plug should be fine, but I'm not really sure. Mine is plastic with an o-ring I think and it doesn't leak at all. I haven't opened it for probably 4 months, I just manually kick the bilge pump on when pulling out to make sure there is no water back there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 08:13 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

If you're not in a covered slip, then by all means, cover the boat. Make sure that you pull the rig and clean the hull. That scum has a way of attaching itself that isn't fun to remove. Last but certainly not least..........get some locker bars! Around this neck of the woods there's at least a couple boats a year that get reported as being broken into and the tackle stolen. If you have electronics, disconnect them and take them with you. If you don't....make sure your boating insurance covers equipment loss.
Old 02-22-11, 09:14 AM   #8
Champion5
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the replies!!! I have a list of what I need to take care of so far.
1. Get a water separation filter installed.
2. Install a auto bilge pump (my slip does have power).
3. Get two locking bars.

Can I run the auto bilge off one of the trolling motor batteries since they will be plugged in at the dock?
Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-21-11, 03:49 PM   #9
lance49
BassFishin.Com Member

you should also get a cover for that boat, I've been looking into gettin one at http://www.boatcoverscover.com/ seems to be pretty reasonably priced but looking for some feedback on them.
lance49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.