Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-06-09, 09:51 AM   #26
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Why sharpen a dull hook ?

The only hooks I sharpen are the ones in my spinnerbaits and thatīs only cuz I canīt take it out and trash it, otherwise, the hook is dull ---> it goes to the trash can and gets replaced with a fresh sharp hook...
Same here. I don't bother sharpening any hooks other then my spinnerbaits and rarely used buzzbaits. Hooks are a minor expense and laser sharpened hooks are way sharper then what we can do consistantly with a file. when any hooks gets dull, I just cut, replace the hook, and retie.

Heck, I spend way more on lunch then I do on hook replacement on any given day.
Old 05-06-09, 12:24 PM   #27
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Well the way I see it is, why throw away a perfectly good hook just cause its alittle dull?
If itīs a little dull then itīs not perfectly good.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 06:03 PM   #28
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Zook, how do the barbarian hooks work on cranks, and how much do they run?

they are snag prone on a top water bait they are the ting..

zooker
Old 05-06-09, 06:17 PM   #29
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Cool, thanks zooker.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 10:50 PM   #30
rock
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hooks

KingFisher
I would not mess with the hook points on the lazer trebles. They will probaly get sharper when the red coating wears off, whick will not take long. I use crankbaits a lot, and one of the best hooking and holding trebles out there is the mustad triple grip hooks. I get the #6 and #4 sizes. I even saltwater fish with them on lures and they hold large redfish
and seatrout. You can order them from Bass Pro Shops, along with most other hooks they carry. Be very careful if you decide to sharpen treble hooks with a file. Large treble hooks are not a problem, but the sizes we use for bass have a very thin hook point. Very easy to take off metal and weaken the point, which is worse than a somewhat dull point, especially if a really big bass decides to whack your crankbait.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 01:54 AM   #31
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I use VMC trebles because one, you don't pay an arm and a leg like you do for gammys and two, if they're good enough for rapala, they're good enough for me.

BB

Well said, BB! X2 for me as well for the regular round bend treble. I don't prefer the sure sets. They catch other things too easily for my tastes. You can buy a pack regular round bend VMC trebles of 25 for about $5.00. From other makers, you'd be lucky to find 12 for that price.

Not only that, you can do things with them like this.

VMC, baby! Note: The trebles in the background are Mustad Triple Grips, specially requested by a friend. They are great hooks, but VMC is tough to beat for its value, performance, and effectiveness.

There is an easy way to sharpen trebles if you have a small honing stone. Hold one hook point of the treble and place the other two onto the stone. Rub it back and forth on the stone a few times, may 20-30 times. Going in sequence, continue the process by holding the next point and then the next. You can probably find the sharpening stone (a small, rectangular shape) in WalMart's fishing section. It is about an inch wide and only about 4 inches or so long. It's small and thin enough to fit in your pocket.

Last edited by islandbass; 05-09-09 at 02:03 AM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 11:26 PM   #32
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
There is an easy way to sharpen trebles if you have a small honing stone. Hold one hook point of the treble and place the other two onto the stone. Rub it back and forth on the stone a few times, may 20-30 times. Going in sequence, continue the process by holding the next point and then the next.
I remember being shown this technique along time ago.....i'd forgotten about it,thanks....i've got a couple of small arkansas wet stones that I use on my pocket knifes that'll probably work fine for this also....I think I will pick up a small file or maybe one of those diamond files mentioned earlier to use on the bigger hooks.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.