Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-04-12, 10:24 PM   #1
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Default slug-go question

How heavy a bait is the inch and how do they sink in comparison to a senko?
badbrady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 10:41 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They're more like a fluke then a slugo. They don't really have much wiggle to them with fall (slower then a senko). But they're good baits when you twitch them. Very good early morning or later afternoon bait in clear water when you you twitch em near the top. Sometime you'll wanna get them to jump out of the water when it's close to an ambush point. Caught some nice bass doing this.. I'll take a slug-o any day over a fluke!
Old 01-05-12, 12:10 AM   #3
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

I wanna get em down about 8' and quick jerk through some bushes. I saw some alot of big bass sitting in em last weekend. I've got an idea to get em. Just wanna know what my best option is
Old 01-06-12, 12:18 AM   #4
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When I want to fish a soft plastic jerk bait down deeper in the water the best way I have found to do so is with a keel weighted hook. It might seem like over kill but I like to fish a Zoom fluke on a 5/0 1/8 oz keel weighted gammy hook. This rig will let you get down to that brush and fish it just as fast as you would weightless. It still has a great darting action and shimmy alittle on the fall. I have caught fish out of lay down and brush piles in 10'+ water on this rig and some bite it as I was letting it fall before I ever started my jerk-jerk-pause retreive. Give it a try the next time you might be surprized.
DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:52 AM   #5
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool thanks. I want the bait to have the basic profile and color pattern of a rainbow trout. It has to be weedless, have a slow fall, and can't make a huge splash. I've never tried the slug-go and thought it might be a great option. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-11-12, 06:38 PM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the Zoom flukes, also. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zoom_...cpage-ZSF.html
Third row from the bottom, far left, there's a "Rainbow Trout" color.
I like keel-weighted hooks, but I make my own. I found some clamshell type weights that you can pinch down onto the hook, rather than having the pre-made ones. That way, you can slide the weight farther forward or backward to change the fall, as well as changing the fall rate with different size weights.
Old 01-12-12, 08:27 PM   #7
DJ_Callahan_27

Mississippiboy, I'm with you. I like the Zoom flukes. I've had alot of luck with them in the river aswell as lakes. Most of the time I do fish them weightless but if I need to get them down alittle deeper I will fish them on a keel weighted hook. I've never tried the clamp on weights you mentioned, sounds like something I need to try. If I see bass busting schools of shads a fluke with a keel weighted hook is one of my go to lures. Cast it past the school and skip it on the the water till it gets within 5 or so feet of the school and kill it. If it does get hit in the first 5 sec. twitch it a couple times and kill it again. If that doesn't work let it fall down close to the bottom and alot of times thats where you find the bigger fish. It's also deadly on stripers that are busting shad early spring aswell.

DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 11:58 PM   #8
the pyromaniac

I like the Flukes, but the Slug-Go is every bit as good... It was the original and still holds its own with all the knockoffs...
the pyromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 01:14 PM   #9
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all your input everybody.
Old 01-15-12, 07:52 PM   #10
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I like the Zoom flukes, also. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zoom_Salty_Super_Fluke/descpage-ZSF.html
Third row from the bottom, far left, there's a "Rainbow Trout" color.
I like keel-weighted hooks, but I make my own. I found some clamshell type weights that you can pinch down onto the hook, rather than having the pre-made ones. That way, you can slide the weight farther forward or backward to change the fall, as well as changing the fall rate with different size weights.
I love the Super Flukes, I like Sluggo too, but my goto is the Super fluke. to get it down deeper and to also change the rate of fall I like using the nail weights inserted from the front towards the back between the S crook on an offset worm hook and the point. I have gotten to where I take 1/2 of the nail weight and put in there all the time now, whether I work shallow or deep.
Old 01-16-12, 01:51 AM   #11
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

I usually use the regular zoom flukes. I need something bigger though. 9" 10" in a trout pattern that I can fish in the thick stuff. There are some big girls sitting in there waiting for the bows.the hudds and the like can't be presented the same way.
Old 01-16-12, 01:20 PM   #12
LIZARDCASTER
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree I like the ZOOM flukes as well... I think your idea to catch em might work tho, or use suspenda dots on crankbaits just outside of the brush.
LIZARDCASTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.