Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-15-13, 12:10 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What is your new challenge for bass fishing 2014?

For me, it's a new lake I fished twice last fall. A man made impoundment about 75 minutes from my house. The lakes I have fished all my life are smaller natural lakes. This man made impoundment offers a very different body of water from what I am used to. But I fell in love with the place and can't wait till spring to tackle it again. A damn, submerged road beds, fence posts, submerged trees, expanses of rock and gravel, all the things many of you are used to fishing, but new to me. I did fairly well the two trips I made there this fall. Lipless cranks really scored well for me there in the rocks, and that's a first for me with lipless cranks. There is vegetation, but not anywhere as much as my usual local lakes. Also, the water is much more discolored than my glacial made lakes around my home. So that's my challenge for 2014. Learning a whole new kind of water to fish. What is your challenge or challenges for 2014?
Old 12-15-13, 01:12 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My challenge is the same as yours, Keith. I live about an hour east of Indiana's biggest lake, which is very heavily pressured with bass tournaments and pleasure boaters. It's an incredibly impoundment that has a whole lot to offer any bass angler who is looking for a real challenge.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 07:30 PM   #3
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

1. More swimbaits in 2014 - killed them this fall on them.
2. I want to use more lipless baits
3. Jigs - must actually use and catch a fish on one.
4. Ride, ride, ride the squarebill express and see if 14 is as good a year for the shallow cranks as 13 was. Between 50-60 percent of my fish came on squarebills and mostly one particular type and color.
Old 12-16-13, 02:04 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

My biggest change this year will be how I find productive areas on the lake, especially while practicing for a tournament. I have made up my mind that while I will still spend the majority of my practice days in areas that fit the pattern I'm fishing. I am also going to spend a small percentage of my practice days in areas that in all honesty look unproductive. I want to spend some time with my side imaging units in areas that look like they aren't worth looking at. I know that 99% of these areas will indeed be unproductive but if I find one or two areas over the course of the season that offers more than what meets the eye then I will have found productive areas that will be overlooked by the majority of the guys I'm fishing against. With side imaging I can burn through these areas pretty quickly and see if there is a hidden point, rock pile, brush pile, creek channel, or hump that might hold a lot of fish. If I don't find anything then I really didn't lose anything but if I find one special feature in an area that most guys won't bother looking at........
Old 12-16-13, 12:16 PM   #5
bamabassman

mine is just to DO MORE FISHING if i can. i have been working so much lately and haven't been able to get on here or even THINK about fishing. but HOPEFULLY i will see some light come spring. there is a LOT of things i still have to do first though. and i vow to do them. jsut need some time......
Old 12-16-13, 02:21 PM   #6
Raul

I´m in Bama´s boat; I´ve goy just too many things I have to do that I don´t have time to go fishing. Having to take care of a chronically ill stable mother sucks away every free minute you may find.

Man, I´m going insane !!!!
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:10 PM   #7
bassinbob

My goal is to get my back in shape to get back to the water. I can sit and fish but need to be able to stand and walk to fish my favorite ponds. Also I might join a club and see how that goes. My every year personal goal is to break the PA record for largemouth. As far as lures go I want to use more swim baits and swim jigs.
Old 12-18-13, 02:30 PM   #8
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop shoot

To learn how to drop shoot and be good at it I tight line for panfish just not good at it with bass.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 01:01 PM   #9
nobass

Retiring in mar. Spend more. Time. On water
Old 12-19-13, 08:18 PM   #10
Bill M

Become better at deep water fishing, grew up a shallow structure guy and accurate casting/flipping, but the summer deep water guys have been handing me my ars in T's the last few seasons.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 12:24 AM   #11
merc1997

i would love to just get to fish more in 2014, but with a growing lure company it will probably be less.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 01:36 AM   #12
Jrob78

Mine is two fold. I want to get more comfortable and confident fishing offshore structure. I'm also going to spend a lot of time throwing big swimbaits (2-6oz) next year. I got a good swimbait set up and have built up a decent swimbait collection, it's time to start throwing them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.