Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-14, 10:37 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default NuTech jigs

I'm thinking about trying out this style jig this year and have a couple questions. I know there are a few guys in here who have used these jigs. I watched a video on Youtube from a guy who purchased some. He really likes them but hasn't had a chance to use them yet. His main concern was the stiffness of the solid twin plastic weed guards. He felt that they may perhaps be stiffer than they should be, and could make it harder to set the hook. He countered by saying that perhaps the stiffness of the weed guards might be beneficial by forcing the correct rotation of the jig for setting the hook. He then showed a comparable jig called The Perfect Strike jig which is basically the same design, but uses twin fiber weed guards instead of solid plastic. These fiber weed guards he felt were not as stiff as the NuTech jigs solid plastic guards and perhaps offered a better blend of hook protection and flexibility for setting the hook on a strike. One other factor he likes about Perfect Strikes fiber guards is that they could be thinned out to adjust for the stiffness if you like to do so, something that cant be done with the solid plastic guards on the NuTech jigs. He did point out the hooks used on the Perfect Strike jigs were a bit smaller too.

So for those who have used the NuTech jigs, how do you feel about the solid plastic weed guards? Are they too stiff? Do they interfere with hook set?
Also, many of us trim the length of our fiber weed guards till they just barely cover the hook point to allow easier hook set. Do you do that as well with the solid plastic weed guards on the NuTech jigs?
Old 04-12-14, 12:09 PM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Use your Dremel with a small sanding drum to thin down the weed guard... take it a little at a time until you get the stiffness you want.

Hopefully Bo will happen by and see this post.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 01:59 PM   #3
keithdog

Sheesh, now I need to by a Dremel. LOL I need one any way.
Old 04-12-14, 04:32 PM   #4
OkobojiEagle

You don't have a Dremel!... I want to see your Man Card!!!
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 06:46 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
You don't have a Dremel!... I want to see your Man Card!!!
I've got your man card right here. hahahaha
Old 04-12-14, 10:03 PM   #6
mikechell

I don't know about anybody else, but when I am jig fishing, and I feel a hit, I set the hook harder than any other type of fishing. I am planning on a hook set AND getting the fish clear of the weeds or lay-downs.
I don't think those two "weed whacker" strands are going to interfere with the hook set at all. You could use a hair dryer to heat them enough to bend them back towards the hook, maybe allow them to fold more easily, but I don't think it'll be necessary.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 11:52 PM   #7
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Perfect Strike was a deal Bo had with ..... (forget the guys name).
That guy wanted to use the fiber guides and his own skirts.
They were and are called Alpha Jigs. https://perfectstriketackle.com/shop/items/Alpha_Jigs/
NuJigs have Owner hooks and a little longer length.
Again I prefer the longer hook.
Not sure what hooks in the Alpha.

Bo felt it was a bad idea and went back to the original which is now called NuJig from NuTech.
Comparison video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSCH_QcFkI

I have both.

The weedguard.
The stiffness is an asset not a liability.
First, they allow the jig to roll over branches and rock and other structure without hanging up.
Both do but I feel the NuJig works better over branches but both are better than single guard.
Jimmy Houston and Bo realize the challenge with thinning and shortening the normal guards....basically makes them more snagging prone.

Next, a single guard actually turns the hook to it's side when a fish bites down resulting in 'cheek hooks' as opposed to the roof of the mouth hook.
These jigs will hook the fish solid in the roof of the mouth...97 o/o of the time.

Next the guards also allow the jig to always remain up right when used as a swim jig.
Any speed...fast, slow, crawl, hopping...hook always remains up right ready to hook roof of mouth and run true.

Do not bend or mess with the guards untill you have used them awhile...because I don't think it's a plus.
Fact is, I always make sure they are pushed forward after every fish I catch on them.

I have really used these alot....NO COMPLAINTS and MANY A HAPPY STORIES to go along with them.
Kieth feel free to PM me with any specifics.
More than happy to share my experiences.
I originally got them for snag resistance reasons and now use them for everything and anywhere.

The WHOLE JIG works as a complete package. The guards, cam heads ect. all work in conjunction with one another.
There's alot more to the guards than just guarding against weeds.
The arms actually press back up forcing hook up snuggly againast the roof of mouth preventing spit outs.
Again I feel the non-fiber guards do a better job of this.
Major asset to this jig.
I have caught alot of bass on the NuTechs and Alphas including all the biggies from last years Big Bass Contest.
So they do work and work well.
I swim them. I even use the bare head as a worm rig as opposed to using bullet wieghts.
I throw them in the thickest cover you can imagine and almost never get a snag.
I use them as shakey head rigs due to they always seem to stay up right and creature baits don't fall over to the side.
I use them as stand up jigs again because ....they stand up.

It is one of the few jigs I've found that does a great job no matter what jig technique your using.
I don't have to switch from a swimmers to stand up and back as the areas change.

New this year, they have a football head along with numerous other products including a spinner bait that uses same jig head.

https://nutechlures.com/

The fibers also don't work as well through grass and vegitation....my opinion.

Both are good jigs but I prefer the NuJigs to the Alphas but I don't think you will go wrong with either.
But if you decide on the Alphas....DO NOT THIN THE SKIRTS....you will regret it.

I will contact Bo and see if he will join the conversation and explain the Perfect Strike deal better.
He's a member....merc1997.

Last edited by joedog; 04-14-14 at 08:17 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 05:47 AM   #8
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got and use both styles. I was a little weirded out by the new solid weed guards at first but got used to it real quick after a few fish. Unlike Joe I don't use them for everything, I mostly just tie one on when I'm jigging thick gnarly deep brush.
Old 04-14-14, 01:54 PM   #9
merc1997

i guess i will wade in on this subject just a bit. first and foremost, the solid arms will our perform bristles bundles hands down. the stiffness is a function of the hooking process. the solid arms can actually be tuned for your fishing situation. when not fishing in cover, the solid guide arms can be set right down on the hook point. when fishing heavy cover, set them further away from the hook point to have more deflection strength. next, fish them as they come out of the package. if you shorten the solid arms, you just made them stiffer. in the hooking process, when the jig is rotated to vertical, you are pushing down from out on the end of the guide arm. if you will do this, you will find that they collapse quite easily.

the other advantage of the solid arms is one they look much more natural than a bristle bundle, they last indefinitely where bristle bundles wear out very quickly, and vegetation does not stick to them as will happen with bristle bundles.

perfect strike is no longer licensed to use my trademarks, and are only allowed to sell their existing stock. one of the reasons for parting ways with them is because of the use of bristle bundles.

with the technology of the NuJig, you really have to throw what you know about jigs out the window. with center based weedguard jigs, stiffness is your enemy. with the trademark separated guide arms, stiffness is your friend.

you do have to set the hook with the NuJig. you are going through the top of the head every time, not just through skin.

if anyone has any questions they would like for me to answer for them, just send me a pm with a phone number, and i will be glad to give you a call.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 07:24 PM   #10
keithdog

I really appreciate the feed back guys, and I'll stick to the NuJig. From what has been said here, there must not be any advantage to the fiber guards, and like Joe, I like a larger hook on a jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.