Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-30-15, 10:40 AM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Incompatible Fishing Partners

This is not to belittle others or be a frustration vent -- Just meant to show a little humor when you fish with a buddy and realize your fishing habits/style are not compatible with his. Anyone got a story to tell?
I fished several times with a buddy and we both caught bass. But he chewed tobacco and was constantly spitting in the water. When I would get home and clean the boat there would be dried tobacco spots on the stern. I didn't want to say anything to hurt his feelings because I wanted him to have a good time and knew he liked his chew. So the next time we went fishing and were ready to return to the ramp I wet a small towel and said I wanted to wipe the tobacco spots off the stern. He said, "I was going to do that when we got back to the ramp". So now he knows but the next time we go fishing he don't clean up his tobacco stains and again I had to do it when I got the boat home. We don't fish together anymore
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 11:23 AM   #2
mikechell

I used to fish with a co-worker who thought the only reason he wasn't a tournament pro was lack of money and sponsorship.
We'd fish, me in the back of his boat. He fished spinner baits, crank baits and weighted worms. 90% of the time, I was fishing an unweighted soft plastic stick bait (BPS sticko is my brand).
I would catch a fish in a place he'd already tried, and it would tick him off. He refused to change to my style of fishing.
On days where I consistently out fished him, he'd get so mad he'd throw his rod down into the boat and get madder and madder. I finally started refusing to go with him when he'd ask. I finally told him everything I just wrote, and added that I didn't think he'd be able to win a tournament because he was a lousy angler.

He never asked me to fish with him again.

I never ask anyone to go with me. If someone wants to go, they need to ask me. If I take someone on my boat, they must abide by my rules. No tobacco products, no alcohol and no music.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 02:55 PM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have had a few experiences. Recently the guy I fished with would only fish the opposite side of the boat from me. Often he was casting behind me. After a few hours I finally succeeded in catching his line on my backswing with a baitcaster. Needless to say I had a nice professional over run to contend with afterward. Not my happiest moment.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 09:39 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One of my regular fishing partners (when we both ran 20' bass boats) fishing style is so far opposite from mine it is a wonder we ever fished on the same boat more than once. He is SLOW and methodical - he can fish a laydown for 10 minutes with a plastic bait and that drives me nutz. I prefer to fish a lot faster and be done with that same laydown in two or three casts. We are still fishing together but now we have our own kayaks and fish as we like.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-15, 11:09 PM   #5
mikechell

Yeah, I am the slow one, Boogie. I am always wondering why we're moving on when we haven't actually worked an entire area. I see the next spot to cast to, and before I can finishing working one cast, we've already moved past two more "holes". I just can't seem to fish fast enough for most anglers.
Another reason I prefer to be in my own boat. It's near impossible to find a good fishing partner ... I almost always fish alone these days.
Old 05-31-15, 01:30 PM   #6
Thornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I never ask anyone to go with me. If someone wants to go, they need to ask me. If I take someone on my boat, they must abide by my rules. No tobacco products, no alcohol and no music.
Good rules. I would add two more: No pets and you must wear a PFD at all times. My neighbor fishes salt water a lot. We share our stories over the fence. My wife once asked me, "Why don't you ask Bill to go with you?" I said, "Because he smokes and drinks beer."
Old 05-31-15, 05:52 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post
Good rules. I would add two more: No pets and you must wear a PFD at all times. My neighbor fishes salt water a lot. We share our stories over the fence. My wife once asked me, "Why don't you ask Bill to go with you?" I said, "Because he smokes and drinks beer."
Yeah, our pets are a real nuisance in the boat.

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 08:15 PM   #8
Thornback

That's a great photo. I have no problem with the boat owner having his dog(s) aboard his own boat. I wish I had my last German Shepard to take fishing. I'm sorry, but I don't want another's dog aboard my boat.
Old 05-31-15, 09:49 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Quote:
That's a great photo. I have no problem with the boat owner having his dog(s) aboard his own boat. I wish I had my last German Shepard to take fishing. I'm sorry, but I don't want another's dog aboard my boat.
Yup, boat owner makes the rules. I was just showing what our dogs do when we go fishing. This pic is from last week. They are trained to know they aren't allowed on the front or back deck, and they sleep 98% of the time when they are in the boat.

Riley (left) turned 2 in January, and we adopted from the local humane society just three months ago (he was saved from a kill shelter in Oklahoma). Cassie turned 3 just last week. We adopted her from a different rescue group when she was 7 months old.
Old 06-01-15, 07:40 AM   #10
Thornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
they sleep 98% of the time when they are in the boat.
Yeah, no place to dig a hole
Old 06-01-15, 11:02 AM   #11
WatterBoy

Quote:
Yeah, no place to dig a hole
My buddy's dog is hyper. She is all over his boat and constantly underfoot. Once she even launched herself off into the water trying to chase down a loon. She is one I wouldn't want in my boat, but I don't have any say in it when it's his boat. Now that we have our own place, I only fish with him a couple times a year and it's early morning, so the dog stays home and it's not an issue. I know other dogs who are constantly barking at everything from the boat, and ours aren't like that either.
Old 06-01-15, 01:06 PM   #12
mikechell

I am not a big dog fan under the best circumstances. I don't understand taking a dog on a boat for any reason. It's not like the dog is "sight seeing" or anything. If they sleep all day, they could do that at home. If they're bouncing all over the place, they need more room that the boat can provide and it's just cruel to keep them on it.

Sorry to all you dog anthropomorphizers ... but they are not people, and they have no place on a boat ... period.
Just mentioning my opinion ... not denigrating yours.

I guess you could say that a dog would be the epitome of "incompatible" for me.
Old 06-01-15, 10:20 PM   #13
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I am not a big dog fan under the best circumstances. I don't understand taking a dog on a boat for any reason. It's not like the dog is "sight seeing" or anything. If they sleep all day, they could do that at home. If they're bouncing all over the place, they need more room that the boat can provide and it's just cruel to keep them on it.

Sorry to all you dog anthropomorphizers ... but they are not people, and they have no place on a boat ... period.
Just mentioning my opinion ... not denigrating yours.

I guess you could say that a dog would be the epitome of "incompatible" for me.
Well, I guess to each his/her own opinion, but I don't see how taking a dog on a boat is anthropomorphizing. It's called companionship for them and us. They would much rather be where we are rather than in their kennel back at the house. Just my opinion...
Old 06-02-15, 09:31 AM   #14
Thornback

Here's some more about fishing partners -- I have to laugh at two of my fishing buddies when I call either one to suggest a fishing trip. I'll say, "If you are free Wednesday do you want to do a fishing trip?" They will then proceed to tell me what they have planned to do on Monday and about their doctor's appointment on Friday and then say they can probably go on Wednesday. I just wait silently until they answer my question
Another fishing buddy will answer instantly, "Yeah."
One buddy will make up songs and sing them while we are fishing -- so I know he's a happy camper out on the water.
One buddy will cuss his luck, even say he'll never go fishing again, even throw down his rod. Once he threatened to throw his tackle box overboard and never fish again. I have to keep my sense of humor or I could become depressed. But the next day he'll call and tell me about some new plastic worms he bought at Gander Mountain
Old 06-02-15, 12:35 PM   #15
mikechell

I've got more recently added coworker who likes to fish. We've gone a couple of times and I also work with him on a fairly regular basis.
The guy can't be quiet !!! He is constantly babbling on, usually about the same topic for 15/20 minutes after I thought the subject was closed.
He also thinks he's much funnier than he is. He'll laugh at his own jokes and quips ... what he thinks are clever twists on a subject.
I try to get him to listen to the birds ... see the environment, but nooooo he's still talking.

Which is another thing I don't understand. Anglers that don't appreciate the outdoors. He couldn't care less, when I point out a Swallow Tailed Kite, a Roseated Spoonbill or any number of other beautiful birds and creatures in the environment.
Old 06-03-15, 02:55 PM   #16
AUFred

Soaking up nature is part of the experience.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-15, 07:10 PM   #17
Captmikestarrett

I sing show tunes and make up songs. I also can not stand to not run the trolling motor..it drives me bonkers to let someone else run it. However I always ask "you OK to move?"
I make a great fishing partner...I will hand you the rod I am fishing if it is catching. I always bring food or cold drinks. You can lose my lures too.

Dave is a great fishing partner and will flat out cast his arms off. I have had much worse.
Steve will be in the middle of a hot bite and change lures that are working and often throw one of my rods overboard. Down to Davey Jones locker to never be seen again. Steve never gets my good rigs..
Chuck is just the worst caster I have ever seen. I have looked back and he was tying a hook on with 6 overhand knots. This after a long demo on a simple palomar. He always playing with his phone in one hand after a cast that for him was a million in one. Sure to draw a bite he focused on his phone. I watched him have the rod pulled from his hand while monkey fingering his phone.
Moose is a great fisherman who will start to dance his 6 foot 4 frame around the boat at moments notice. Yell and scream at the fish too. Very animated and fun for a day. Just a day.
T is so laid back and never gets excited..heck he drives motorcycles at close 200 mph and remains quite when a 26 inch redfish is on his line.

I have so many fishing partners but these guys really stand out.

It has been said "finding a fishing partner is harder than finding a wife"

Capt Mike
Old 06-03-15, 08:37 PM   #18
lilmule

Finding a wife isn't a hard problem ,keeping one is.Ive only had one and for 28 years so to some does not apply.
Often she was my fishing pard,she fished with a bobber n a worm,me wit artificials,she hooked and baited the hook,kept me buzy taking them off.
Arguments are solved easily a woman is always right.Afore mentioned dogs and dog house come to mind.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-03-15 at 08:47 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 08:59 AM   #19
Thornback

I was out in my boat with a buddy yesterday. He caught three nice bass, largest going 7.2, before I finally hooked a small one. I was bragging on him and putting myself down (a good offense is better than a good defense). Finally after I set the hook and started to reel he said, "I hope that's a bass." The whole trip he was smiling and started singing. He sang and sang and even sang on the drive home. One of his best days and I was happy for him. When I take someone fishing I like for them to catch a few. He is a good guy to fish with, very easy going, and enjoys himself. Now if I can just get him to sing in the right key
Old 06-04-15, 09:08 AM   #20
mikechell

Quote:
Now if I can just get him to sing in the right key
Yeah, I like for the other guys to catch some fish. especially if I am taking them.

Just sing louder!!
Old 04-09-16, 10:48 AM   #21
senkosam

A little late to reply, but here goes.
When I fished with a bass club, most partners were decent and seeing as how I didn't own a bass boat at the time, I wanted to be sight unseen in the back seat. But just because you're in the back of the boat doesn't mean your partner shouldn't be fair or considerate.
I fished with one that didn't bother to call be before tournament day that his trolling motor stopped working and I in fact found it in pieces on his deck as he was attempting to fix it the day of the tournament. The wind was at least 15 mph or greater and using the gas engine not a good idea to get to spots in a shallow rocky bottom lake! Needless to say, my expenditure for boat launch fee and gas not well spent.

The same partner chose to fish dink areas in the creek off a tidal river. Having fished similar creeks and done well for bass for years, I made suggestions that were ignored most likely because of prejudice against and non-bass boat owner. After 5 hours went by and no legal fish caught, he finally agreed to go where I told him to based on the incoming tide. We both had fish to weigh in and I came in second.

Another inconsiderate decided to parallel flip a wall of pilings in the same creek mentioned above. That left me with no water to fish for the first hour and I knew I wasn't welcome to fish off the bow with him and another waste of money for part of his expenses!

I've had partners that didn't value boat control or sonar and wasted time in water using lures that didn't do the job as well as drifting to fast with the wind and not anchoring.

When partners refuse to accept suggestions when no fish are caught after and hour or more, time to make a list of those you chose not to waste a day off.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 11:03 PM   #22
dodgeguy

Come with me this year and we can both catch fish.
Old 03-24-17, 04:50 PM   #23
senkosam

Would love to. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two LOL. But please, please, please - day time only. I'm afraid of the dark and those damn bats! (not really)

I message you.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 07:53 PM   #24
coldbasser

We have a good group of about 8 long term friends ( 30 + ) years
I can fish with anyone or 2 of them and have a great time. We all own boats have families and love fishing�� We know each other well enough to understand that we are going fishing and respect the sport and each other. It's kinda hard to explain .
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 01:12 PM   #25
Thornback

I have to tell you about a recent trip with an old friend, one who will give you the shirt off his back but is as stubborn as a mule. We pulled into a cove, anchored, and I started throwing a u-vibe watermelon red topped with two red beads and a bullet weight. He was throwing a black lizard. After I caught 2 bass within 6 casts I asked him if he wanted to use what I was using. Nope, he replied. Later after I had put a total of four bass in the boat I asked him again. Same answer from him. In 40 minutes I had put six bass in the boat and I asked him again. This time he tied on my exact lure. His first cast he hooked a bass. After that neither of us hooked another bass

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.