Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-05, 09:28 AM   #1
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Removing Hooks From Deep Hooked Bass

I am looking for an article or your ways to remove these hooks. I am currently printing out articles from all over the web on Bass Fishing, To make a notebook of some sorts of Different Techniques Tips and Usefull information. I checked Bass Dozer, and got one article, but it says to cut the line 18 inches above from the hook, or use a pair of dykes to cut the hook, but are there anyways to work the hook out without cutting it or cutting the line?
Old 07-14-05, 11:00 AM   #2
Sluggo Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First step I do is mash barbs down so that they can hook fish well, but it's easier to unhook them too.

Then, lipping the bass in one hand and operating needle-nosed pliers in the other, I rotate my wrist to turn the hook out the way it went in. Their jaw is quite flexible and will bend (just don't bend it too far or it will break.)

Even if there's some blood, the fish will probably live, especially a big one. So I release them anyways.

Reminds me of what CajunBass said to me once, the bass has a 0% chance of surviving the deep-fryer
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 05:14 PM   #3
NJRapala46
BassFishin.Com Member

I did the same thing you are doing now. I printed out about 60 articles and then put them in a binder, organzied with binder tabs. Then when I am fishing I can look for tips. Also, in the back of the binder is where i keep my fishing log. It is a very useful tool.

EDIT> http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fish/offthe_hook.shtml

Theres the link for what you want

Last edited by NJRapala46; 07-14-05 at 05:20 PM.
NJRapala46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 05:39 PM   #4
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

1) Don't try to take it out. Just cut the line and let them go. I like to do that because i dont play with the hook and they have a great chance of surviving but if you play with the hook then there chance of surviving gets less and less.

2) I did that some thing NJ. I made a binder of about 75 article and it work great when out on the water.
Old 07-14-05, 06:01 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If you are talking worm hooks that are that deep in the throat, you may be waiting to long to set the hook

On treble hooks I always take my needle nose pliers with me and find where they are hooked at and go to the opposite barb and position the fish over water, mainly cus after I see it I can about tell weight etc, and grab the treble and turn up. That will release the other side of the hook that the fish is hooked on.
With rogues or other baits that have 2 or three trebles I do that same, just take them out one at a time with a simple up wards turn of the opposite treb.
The reason I do that is if I can't get ahold of the bass's bottom lip without getting hooked myself, it keeps my hand completely out of the picture, and trust me I have buried more hooks in my body than you can imagine befor going to this method.
As far as a worm hook in the gullet of the throat, I always take the same needle nose pliers and try at first to go through the mouth, if I see that I can't get any leverage that way, I always go in from the bottom, that is , I go through the gill plate and try that way, I never cut the line and leave a hook.
I have heard that they will survive and its probably ok to leave the hook in, but I know certain hooks dont dissolve all that fast, and it must be uncomfortable for the fish,
Any time you see blood already coming out of the gills, you 've probably deep hooked it so bad, I'd gently try to unhook but if you see the skin in the throat really giving alot, go ahead and cut your line, cus forcing the hook out will probably kill it.
Take note to the line at all times, I know many are just starting out, and I did the same for years, but usually if you set the hook on the first "tick" of the line, You'll get a good hookset that is on the top of the mouth or the side.
Many nights I'll get every fish on a side swing to my right, and all the fish are hooked on their left portion of the mouth,
most times I jig fish and flip, the hook will be right in the middle of the upper jaw.....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 06:29 PM   #6
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12

i had one swallow a jig and trailer once. i opened it's mouth and saw there was no way to get it out so i just cut the line. figured the fish would die anyways but decided to give it more of a chance. well i went back there the next day and saw my jig and trailer about 20 ft out in the water. so some how the fish got it out
Old 07-14-05, 06:34 PM   #7
mike90
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike90

if you put your fingure in the bend of the hook and push it backwards as far as you can take the line and give it a little nudge. 99% of the time the hook comes right out. if it dosen't i just cut the line as far back as i can
mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-05, 08:12 PM   #8
PowerBass

Thanks for the link. I also found ann article on IN fisherman, which is pretty cool, It says to go through the gill, take the top of the hook, and pull it too the side, and then the whole barb should pop out.
Old 07-14-05, 10:11 PM   #9
Rodman_Rob

When I gut hook a bass, I'll take my hook remover like this http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/147.../adtg/07130541

slide it up threw the gill slits and pull it out that way. If not, cut the line 12-18 inches up and release the fish. The acids in their stomachs will cause the hook to corrode and rust itself loose.
Old 07-14-05, 11:00 PM   #10
texbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I always liked the croked ended piarof needle noses i used catfishing. They have worked fine on bass for me, as well.
texbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-05, 12:06 AM   #11
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

use a pair of pliers
Old 07-18-05, 07:15 AM   #12
PowerBass

I do use pliers, I am talkin about deep throat hooks. I have the leatherman wave multi tool. I use it alot, one of the greatest tools invented!!
Old 07-18-05, 09:10 AM   #13
rrw4258

Just yesterday I was fishing a small pond and had a 8 or 9 inch bass take my mann's minus 1 crankbait and both trebles got stuck inside of the bass. It took me about 30 minutes to get the hooks out of the fish!!! The bass did not live though.
Old 07-19-05, 07:57 AM   #14
Mac1

Default gut hooked fish

Use a D-Barb tool to cut the hook point off, then work the hook back out. Another suggestion....use Mini-bolt cutters to clip the hook.

You may have to post in order to find where to get the D-Barb tool as I don't really know, but the tool itself has had rave reviews on several boards, including www.riversmallies.com from time to time.

Handy tool to have, also great from removing hooks from fingers, etc.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 09:33 AM   #15
Sluggo Man

You don't need a special D-barb tool, just take your regular pliers and squeeze it in.

But getting rid of that barb is the best way to unhook fish.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 10:58 AM   #16
flfireman

I have begun smashing in the barbs. Has ben very effective for me. I use a set of 10" pliers for deep hooks. With the smash barbs you can still hook them good. If I have a lot of trouble- takes longer than 1-2 minutes, Ill snip the line and run the hook out over the eye. Think about putting a hook deep in the finger- the easiest and safest way is to continue the path of the hook.
Old 08-06-05, 03:24 PM   #17
KenDammit

I think the in-fisherman way is best. I wish I had read that article before the last fish I deep hooked came along. Just push down more on the eye of the hook, then rotate it down and away from you, this will bring the barb and point out of the gullet and allow you to bring it out. I'm very conscious of hurting fish, I hate to even keep them out of water for 10 seconds, but I have to remind myself that bass are tougher than a lot of articles and internet sites make them out to be. So long as you don't go overboard and throw them around and keep them out of water for longer than a minute at a time at most, everything should be alright.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 03:53 PM   #18
Rodman_Rob

going through the gills is the way to go, typically shorter distance, better range of motion, and better angle to unhook from the gut. The longer slimmer the pliers/hook remover, the better. Surgical scissor/clamps (maybe called forceps, not sure) work good as well.
Old 08-06-05, 06:14 PM   #19
KenDammit

since this is relevant, can someone tell me a good way to remove the barbs on hooks without having to buy any special tools or anything?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 06:20 PM   #20
JB

you can file them down or use a grinding wheel

I have to say that if you are experiencing the hook way in the gullet of the throat you are waiting way to long to set the hook, pay attention to your line, and if it does happen, going up through the gill plate as rob stated is the way to go, or cut it off.
I had this happen twice this week and could kick my self for letting them go that long, but I was eager to see how long the would hold on to a tiki, they held and held and held on.
I have seen fish that have been caught and someone cuts the line off, and up to a week later I'll catch that same fish in the pond, and the hook is still in there,
I am still unclear how long it takes for a hook to disolve, I notice that gold hooks seems to stay in there a long time...
Old 08-07-05, 08:21 PM   #21
Park
BassFishin.Com Member

If you do have to cut the line, why do you cut it 12-18 inches above the hook?
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-05, 08:25 PM   #22
JB

I wondered that too
Old 08-07-05, 10:37 PM   #23
lizardsrule

LOL, everytime I read these posts, about the $50 wys to remove the hook. PSSST I have a little secret for those of you who don't know

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

This is a link to a very, very, very exspensive hook disgorger(sp). I mean it costs all of .79 cents. The large end is used for bigger fish. Let me explain this little tool that will set you back, so make sure you buy the groceries before buying it. The ball ends have a slot in them for you line to go into. You follow the line down to the hook, and the hook fits into another slot at the end. When you reach the hook, you push down, until it disengages. Then you give it a slight twist and pull the hook out, it takes like 10 seconds total, and it comes out clean. The ball just fits around the hook, so not problem just pulling it free(line and all) once you get the hook pushed down, and out of the skin. You can buy the other stufff, and you can spend 5 minutes, trying to get the fish to sit still, and keep fighting while you do the thru the gill method, or you can just buy this(I have 6-7 of them) and be done quickly and minimal damage(not from the tool, from the hook) to the fish. But I know, it just couldn't possibly work if it's only .79 cents Save a few fish, and your hooks, use this it really does work. The smaller size ball is more for the panfish, the larger ball is for you bass and larger fish.

Lizards
Old 08-08-05, 12:12 AM   #24
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I have about 30 of those things in the shop somewhere.............. and they do work...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.