Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-06, 06:21 AM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pond jigs

After reading JB's post about moss in ponds being different,There are different jig designs that will help in the type of jig fishing, or the waters you fish.If you fish alot of ponds, where you get that green snot layering the bottom, there is a asprin type head jig design that will work better for you. It will allow the jig to lift and glide instead of dragging through and collecting the green gunk on your jig.Bass pro shop sold a Strike Zone Woo Daves jig a few years ago that worked extremely well for moss and sparse weed fishing.Don't know if they still do, but I will hunt some jig types down that are designed pretty much the same way.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 06:31 AM   #2
pig n jig

Here is a website that sells them. http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=3880
Old 12-18-06, 08:08 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thanks pnj, thats some good stuff!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 06:43 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks pnj. I appreciate your information.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-06, 11:13 PM   #5
skeeter944

thanks ivan!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 04:22 PM   #6
3dkicker

PNJ - I have used and still use these jigs. I found them discounted ($1.99) and in short supply (two colors) at a local tackle shop and started using them a couple years ago. Good jigs. Not snot-proof but does a good job. I should pick up a few more from Woo next month when I see him (if he has any with him).
One thing I also noticed is that the skirt material is different from most other types. It's harder, thinner, and has a gritty feel to it.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 12-22-06 at 04:28 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 07:39 PM   #7
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Is the gritty feel like a raised surface? I have some skirt material called Nature's Scales, it's supposed to imitate scales, pretty nice stuff.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 10:07 PM   #8
pig n jig

Kicker. They are starflash skirts on them. I know Janns Netcraft carries the skirts ,they are also my favorite skirts., but you have to buy alot of them, the fish really tear them up. P N J
Old 12-23-06, 11:41 AM   #9
3dkicker

Gritty as in you can feel the glitter on the individual strands. Starflash skirts....thanks for the info....question is who makes the best skirt for a pnj? What is the best material or should I say what do you prefer for grass? Wood? Rock?

I currently use Woo's Stinger, Dave's Tournament, and KidLizard Gecko jigs although I do carry a variety of other brands that I've picked up over time. I also have a variety of brands of skirts too. Dave's has great color combo's but I find they break down very quickly with use. I just started using the KL Gecko this fall so I haven't used it enough to comment on the skirt. I've found that the Strike King skirts hold up ok with use. I've changed the skirts on most of my Woo's jigs. Skirt color was probably why they were still on the shelf and discounted.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 12-23-06 at 11:57 AM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-06, 02:55 PM   #10
dampeoples

I'm not sure I've ever used a Starflash skirt, although I probably have, but do not recognize the name, it sounds kind of like the Nature's Scales, though.

I think skirt material is prefrence, I like a good mixture of colors, so silicone is the only way to go there, but I also really like the durability and flex of the living rubber, but it only comes in a handfull of colors. I know some folks don't like rubber at all, it's got a bad rep of melting in the sun, and to be honest, it's gotten a bit better about that since the days of the flat rubber, but I still only use it in the colder months, personally!

As far as brands, I like the premium material the Skirts Plus produces, it's realyl nice stuff, and there are some really nice colors, too!
Old 12-23-06, 05:46 PM   #11
pig n jig

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/silicon...s/360200.aspx# & http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/silicon...ts/361200.aspx
Kicker, I am at odds for jig skirts, Hydrosilk & Starflash are what I buy when needed.

Dampeoples, I am sorry that I haven't commented on your jig.The paint finish is second to none, very nice. I definately will be posting some fish pictures on the site once spring comes.

For jigs, the truth is I have hundreds, maybe close to a thousand jigs, so its difficult to know what brand they all are. For weeds, I like a All terrain grass master jig, or a Keystone Picasso jig.For hard gravel and rocky bottom, ISG scorpion jig is awesome.For one that works well in most situations, I like the berkley jig. the berkley power skirts are nice skirts which you can buy separate as well. Ivan

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-23-06 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 06:03 PM   #12
dampeoples

If you want to make your own skirts, there are several kits which can be had to do so, and you even get a skirt tool to boot. Cabela's has a kit that comes with with a collar spreader and enough skip cut material to make about 60 skirts, or so it says in the catalog (I don't have one), and I know Skirts Plus has a kit for 3 of their lines, it comes with collars, some rattles, and a skirt tool.

You can also purchase individual pads and collars once you deplete the skirts in these kits, and make your own color combinations, heck you don't even need a tool, I have a handfull of tools, and still either wrap with wire or use a pair of needle nose to spread the collar.

Depends on if you want to put the time and investment into it, though, but it's a good way to get exactly what you want, and it's really fun to make the skirts, especially complex skirts with a bunch of colors in them.

But back to head designs - I like a bullet, or sort of pointed nose for grass (bullet, poison tail), a flat bottom for wood (arkie), and a really wide, football style head for rocks (football, duh!).
Old 12-26-06, 01:17 PM   #13
3dkicker

What do you like for skipping jigs? Not pitching or flipping but two-handed let-it-rip skipping?
I want to get a skirt and collar that will hold up well for the abuse that the jig is going to take this summer.
Old 12-26-06, 01:41 PM   #14
pig n jig

I don't make a habit of having to skip lures alot and I have never skipped a jig. When I have to skip under docks, I use a weightless Lizard, or Gene Larew salt craw.If I need a weighted lure, i use a Tube bait with a gitzit glider weight inserted in the tube.Cottage people go berserk when they hear a weight clang off from their property, I can't blame them, unless I can prefish and pattern them and then stop to the cottages I am going to fish and ask for permission I don't fish that shallow around their property.9 times out of 10 they will be happy to let you since you took the time to ask for permission. Other than that I fish deeper water, or stretches where there aren't alot of personal property. P N J
Old 12-26-06, 03:52 PM   #15
dampeoples

Just like sjipping rocks, flat bottom is what I look for, and if you're getting off the shelf baits, tie the skirts with some braid, if you're dealing with a custom guy, get them wire tied.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.