Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-17-11, 05:01 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default One of those days.

We've all had'em.....those days when we shoulda stayed in bed. It all started as soon as we hit the water this morning.....5:30am and I drop the trolling motor into the lake and hit the pedal....Nothing! Hmmmmm....Ron!....You charge the battery?? Yes......But, it acted weird, and I ended up buying a new battery charger, and when I hooked it up, it said the battery didn't need charging.

So as we drift into the weedbed we were going to start fishing, Ron sits in the back of the boat with his rear in the air and head below deck as he plays mechanic and switches cables around....."Try it now" he yells, and I hit the pedal to find we are back in business....Now to hack our way out of the weeds and back into clear water.

Ok....Now, we can get to fishing.....I'm dieing to try my new Spro style frog that I had to repaint right outta the package, so I start tossing it into the grass and start walking it slowly thru the water.....I'd only made a few casts when suddenly my reel locks up on me, and I realize that by popping the rod tip to walk the frog, my braided line had thrown some sort of loop knot around the end of my rod, and its a doosy. Enough so that I gotta stop and dig out my bi-focals so I can see what going on, and spend the next few minutes trying to untie this stupid knot.....I think it was about this time I begin to think "I hope its not gonna be one of those days"....lol

Eventually I lost count of how many times the braid got looped around the end of my rod as I tried walking the frog.....I'd only had one big blow up on it all morning and only hung into him for just an instant, and I was getting sick of the line issues, and the sun was high enough to think about ditchin the frog and doing something else. All this time my buddy Ron is hanging his spinnerbait on everything in,above or just near the lake....Neither he nor I could believe how often he was getting hung up fishin a spinnerbait....."Come on Ron....Whats the deal bud....You running a treble hook for a trailer or what?".....lol....Maybe its just one of those days.

As the sun got higher, we made our way out into the main body of the lake and found small schools of bass busting the surface chasing shad, so we begin to drift around watching the surface for a feeding frenzy nearby......Splash...."There they are", just 50 ft from the boat....Fire my rattletrap towards the activity.....Only to watch my lure take flight like its headed for outerspace or something.....WTH????.....Where'd that come from?.....Lord knows I can cast better then that right?....right??

As I wait for my lure to begin reentry into the atmosphere and finally touch down in a spot thats not near as far from the boat as the altitude I'd gained with it, leaves me scratching my head and practicing my French. Good grief, If I can't cast any better then that I should give up this sport and take up horse shoes, lawn darts or something....My gosh...."Little did I know that I'd make several more casts like that before the day was over".....WTH?

"Ok.....get a grip Mike......relax and do what you know how to do"......Next cast....Riiiiiiip......Treble hook hung on the line between a couple of line eyes, and peeled several yards of line from mid rod, and tied the purdiest knot you'd ever want to see......Splash......Bass begin busting the surface 20 yds from the boat as I sit untangling my newest mess......Several minutes later I hear Rons reel make the same noise.....Now its he thats practicing his French.

We played this game of torture till the schooling bass died off and we were both "Well done" from cookin in the sun and decided to call it a day.....One of those days......Think the full moon had anything to do with it?....It was high in the sky all morning, and I think it sucked everybit of fishin knowledge outta my brain....Even my equipment wouldn't work right.....Like fishin in the Twilight zone or maybe it was just "One of those days".

In the end I think Ron managed to boat one small bass, and I hooked into one that put some serious hurt on my line and rod, and after a couple of minute fight he got off right under the boat and I never even saw him.....but the line stretch was worth it. Both Ron and I lost lures so this trip didn't fair out to well....but for now we'll keep tryin.

PS....If NASA ever reports finding crankbaits in outerspace, I'm pretty sure they'll be mine!....lol
Old 07-17-11, 06:55 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man, that sounds brutal!!! Sorry your day went so poorly. I think I would think twice about taking up lawn darts though, haha. Better luck next time bud.
Old 07-17-11, 08:20 PM   #3
lilmule

I rig several rods the same when a reel messes up or I do merely pick another up and pick it out at home,with 7 rods generally end up with some working lol.
Wait till you wrap it or over spin it and a bass eats it as it hits the water.Did you know you can hand line a 4 lber in.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 08:33 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

micheal........deja-voo man. i mean it. i too was gonna go out yesterday morning. spent ALL day re doing my trolling motor wires to hook up the "old" trolling motor. the 80# troller i bought back in spring conked out on me LAST weekend, so i hooked up the 56# jsut so i could get on the water. but noooo, now somehting else is wrong. either i wired up the batteries wrong or somehting. cause when i plugged up the cord to charge my batteries.......1 didn't charge up. so i said to he77 with it, covered up the rig and decided to wait till i was cooled off to go back into it.

it has been like this for over 2 weeks for me bud. and now..........well just look for my thread coming up. leson to be learned from me in the non-fishing section.
Old 07-17-11, 10:33 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Hey, sorry to hear that, 66KF. Hopefully things are exactly the opposite for you next time out and you boat a bunch of bass with no equipment problems whatsoever!

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.