Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-30-11, 04:21 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Whats the proper way to store rods?

I've seen guys hang rods from their line eyes on nails in their garages, leaning against walls, laying on their sides across rafters or some sort of ceiling suspended holder, and all sorts of various styles of rod racks or holders that you can buy online. So I was curious to what you guys think is the better way of storing rods?
Old 09-30-11, 05:48 PM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would stay away from hanging them from the line guides to prevent ceramic insert damage and would not leave them in any contortion that puts a bend in them. If you don't have a rod rack to put them in, find a sturdy box that's 2' to 30" tall, cut an opening in the center of the top large enough to accommodate your rods and stand the box of rods in a protected corner without the tips leaning against the walls.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 06:09 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Store bought rod racks are expensive, but they'll work. You could also build your own if you're good at wood working. My dad built us an approximately 8' wide by 8' tall cabinet. One side has shelves and drawers for tackle boxes, tackle bags, plastics, our ice fishing electronics (camera and flasher), etc. and the other side is a rod rack.

It's got a board will holes drilled on the bottom for rod butts to sit in and rubber "hooks" that resemble a "C" that the blank goes on. It works for pretty much any thickness of rod, and even holds my rods that have Rod Gloves on them.

I'll see if I can dig up my post from when he made it.

BB
Old 09-30-11, 08:04 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I have soft rod cases for my rods, most came with one and I bought others for those that did not. So when I put them away for the winter, I remove the reel, clean the rod and put it in it's case. I lay them on a shelf in the basement for the winter. All the reels get the line stripped, are cleaned & lubed then back into their original box to await spring. Extreme probably, but my rods and reels cost me some serious money, and I treat them as "special" - which to me they are. In season they are in the boat and I use stick jackets to protect and identify the rods in the lockers. I used to put them in the locker in their cases, but I like the stick jackets much better. Easier to use for sure.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 11:06 PM   #5
Bassboss

I read in a KVD book about storing rods. If you lean them against a way NEVER have a bend in them. I keep my rods leaned up against a table. That way the rod has no unnatural bend in them, which can lead to a deformed and/or weakened blank. If you can (or are not to lazy to do it! ) It's always best to keep them in a rod sleeve to protect the blank and guides from getting nicked, or taking the full force of getting knocked around. In Florida I kept them on wall rack where they stood vertically, but the walls here to lot to do that, lol!
Old 10-01-11, 12:04 AM   #6
Scott the fishman

I personally have a 10 rod rack with 3 draws and 6 trays and holders. i really like my old was was scattered through out the house (mom got mad) but now they are all neat and organized. bait casters on the left spinning on the right.
Old 10-01-11, 08:35 AM   #7
bamabassman

i am in the process of TRYING to draw up a WALL SYSTEM in my office for storing rods and all my boxes. this will make it easier for me during the winter to get RE-organized as well. make it look like a shelf/storage? maybe ol bryce could help me on this with a drawing? i have one wll that i want to put it on. jsut haven't had the time yet to get started.
Old 10-01-11, 10:13 AM   #8
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I bought three vertical racks that hold 6 outfits each. Most of mine are in those. All my flyrods are in cases. All are in my closet so no huge temperature shifts like a garage. I try to watch for bends in the rods not in the racks.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 10:36 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I just keep mine locked in a closet where my kids can't tear them up. It is my man closet and my little piece of heaven hahahaha. I used to store everything in my shed where it would get 120+. I started noticing all my spooks and traps, well any hard plastic bait was swelling and deforming. I had resistance but I told momma I paid too much money for it to ruin out there. I finally won one!
Old 10-01-11, 11:12 AM   #10
keithdog

I use a simple put together wooden rod rack that stores the rods in a verticle possition. It works well except my collection of rods has outgrown the rack unless I take all the reels off first. Some day I plan to arrange my "corner" in the downstairs spare room after both boys have moved out. My "corner" will have a much better storage system for all my fishing and photography gear, and a work area to build my spinnerbaits, clean reels, ect.
Old 10-01-11, 12:25 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I'm glad a couple of you mentioned "Climate control" issues with storing tackle in a garage vs storing in the house. I wondered about that several times this summer when the temps in my garage were well above 100°.
Old 10-01-11, 05:48 PM   #12
OkobojiEagle

The temperature extremes found inside your garage at Mena, Arkansas will not be a detriment to your fishing rods.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 09:21 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

I find that the best way to store rods is in your hands about 4' above water with a 4lb+ fish pulling on the end of it.
Old 10-06-11, 10:37 AM   #14
DVT Mike

IMO the best way to store rods is in a vertical rack. A horizontal rack will work fine as long as the bulk of the weight is supported in the butt and handle section. Leaned against walls, in corners and suspended by any guide or part is not good for them.
Old 10-06-11, 11:04 AM   #15
WatterBoy

I got one like this on sale at Cabela's for either $20 or $30 at the end of the season a couple years ago. It works well for my needs. Mine holds up to 10 rods on each side.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 01:26 PM   #16
hdmoorefootball
BassFishin.Com Member

keep mine locked in my rod box on my boat...

Last edited by hdmoorefootball; 10-07-11 at 11:53 AM.
hdmoorefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:02 PM   #17
66KingFisher

I think I'm gonna build my own rod holder, and go with a vertical design like most of the ones I've seen in stores....I'm tired of just standing them in the garage leaned against the bench between fishin trips, and I don't like the hang'em on a nail routine, so its time for a DIY rod rack....lol
Old 10-06-11, 10:07 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I think I'm gonna build my own rod holder, and go with a vertical design like most of the ones I've seen in stores....I'm tired of just standing them in the garage leaned against the bench between fishin trips, and I don't like the hang'em on a nail routine, so its time for a DIY rod rack....lol
I've been thinking about doing the same. Post up some pics after you finish it up.
Old 10-08-11, 02:44 PM   #19
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same. Post up some pics after you finish it up.
Will do...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.