Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-21-12, 02:18 AM   #1
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bait casting Help

I have a 2 Abu Garcia barrel bait casters. I also have 2 St.Croix Mojo 7 foot medium action poles. I was wondering are low profile bait casters better then barrel. I have never used a low profile because it seems easier to use a barrel. I was just wanting some opinions on pro vs cons between the 2. Just wondering if im hindering my bass fishing abilities due to an advantage i may be missing out on with a low profile.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 02:50 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They aren't better nor are they worse. Generally speaking, the one major plus of a low profile reel is just as the name describes. Their lower profile allows the to sit closer to the rod thereby making it more comfortable for some anglers to palm the reel, especially if they have smaller hands.

Generally speaking once again, round or barrel casting reels, as you call them, usually hold more line, which for swimbaits and crankbaits can be a plus to have. They can also (but not in every case) be heavier as many are built like tanks.

You aren't hindering any of your bass fishing abilities.

I love the looks of both and use both. If you have smaller hands or know you're going to be palming the reel frequently and you're only going to be targetting bass and lesser speciess, then an LP is a solid choice.

If you need the line capacity or if you aren't going to be casting anything less that 3/8 oz, a round reel won't hurt you.

Casting reels, whether round or low profile, rock!
Old 05-21-12, 02:00 PM   #3
DaveW731

I actually prefer a round reel to a low profile for palming. Seems like it just fits my hand better. It also seems like my round reels are more durable. On the other hand, I prefer the low profile for casting: they just seem less fatiguing, even the one that weighs as much as my round reels. The line capacity of my larger LP reel is more than enough to handle anything I throw. As a result, I tend to use round reels for heavy cover and worm/jig fishing and the LP reels for open water and lots of casting.

I think it all comes down to comfort and preference. If you have not tried a LP reel, see if you can borrow a buddy's reel for a few casts and see how you like it.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 09:21 PM   #4
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

All of my rods, except my finess rods, have the Abu-Garcia "round" casting reels. I started with them back in 1981 and have always used them. The low-profile feel strange in my hands put that's because I am not use to them. I cast, flip, pitch with them. I have one worm rod with 1/8oz. slip sinker, for pitching under boat docks. Love'um!
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 03:16 AM   #5
Hoosier

Any advice is apprectiated thanks alot guys. My buddy keeps a pinnacle on a 7.5 foot reese on my boat. Ill ask if he minds letting me borrow it. I dont like using others things without asking.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 12:12 PM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I never cared for Ambassadors back in the day. I grew accustommed to the low profile and just prefer it to the round reels. I always looked at the round reels as being akin to a winch. Great if you need a lot of line capacity or were really needing the winching power. I think now days it is more about personal preference.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.