Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-16-07, 08:56 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Need help with Lake Cumberland

I'm going down for a week from March 11th to March 18th, in KY on Lake Cumberland. If the water has no ice on it I will be fishing it.

Does anyone have any experience on this lake , hot spots, predominant forage, anything that will help?

It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Patrick Krueger, Jr.; 02-16-07 at 09:18 PM.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 09:27 PM   #2
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would stick to deeper areas this time of the year...humps and what not....try a jigging spoon, dropshot, or a grub...jerkbaits tooo....I would find veritcal structure or cover....ie bridges..dam....standing timber....maybe a wiggle wart will produe if cranked ever so slowely......in KY I like to fish green worms...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 02:22 AM   #3
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Are you fishing out of a boat? Just wondering because, if so, you might have a tough time finding a boat ramp where you can launch. I assume you've heard the news about how Lake Cumberland has sprung a leak at the Wolf Creek Dam and they had to drop the water, a lot. There are only 8 accessible boat launch ramps on the whole lake now. That's what the kentucky.gov website says under the "Recent Headlines" tab on the February 15th newsletter:

"RAMP CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO THE CORPS:

Usable
The following are Corps operated and Commercial Marina boat ramps that we believe will be usable at elevation 680 (* these ramps will be monitored closely; conditions are subject to change as the elevation lowers):

Burnside Island State Park (one lane concrete to gravel, small boats only)

Cave Creek (approx. 15' of concrete left, then mud)

Conley Bottom Marina (campground ramp, boats less 20'approx.)

Fall Creek (small boats less 20'approx.)

Halcomb's Landing (small boats less 20'approx.)

Jamestown Marina

Lee's Ford Marina (launch time may be limited due to on-going construction)

Waitsboro (small boats less 20'approx.)"

Good luck out there PK!
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 07:22 AM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Thanks guys! I was thinking of much the same lure selection (my go to soft plastics are always watermelon, green pumpkin, or black neon).

When I was there in late Dec. of '05, I fished a much smaller near-by lake: Wood Creek Lake, in E. Bernstadt, KY. I caught several small smallmouth, and a huge rainbow using a wacky-rigged senko.

My dad has a nice pontoon ( great for getting kids fishing) on Cumberland.
I'm really looking forward to it, living on the WI/IL border, with its frozen water is driving my crazy.

I've sharpened all hooks, tuned all cranks, practiced pitching, flipping, and rollcasts, changed spinnerbait blades--I'm going nuts!

Last edited by Patrick Krueger, Jr.; 02-17-07 at 07:40 AM.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 07:25 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

its a pretty big lake if I remember correctly. It owns some of our fishing tackle as well.
Old 02-17-07, 08:09 AM   #6
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Rodman, did you mean Cumberland or Wood Creek?
Old 02-17-07, 07:07 PM   #7
KenDammit

I don't know how well fishing will be in cumberland this year.

As K-Driz pointed out..its WAYYYYYYYYYYY down.

I guess the good news is that there will be less shoreline, the bad news is that a lot of the bass spawning grounds will not be underwater anymore. Nearing the channel on that lake, the water is DEEEEEEEEEEP, well..used to be...still will be very deep.

In March(which will probably still be a little chilly) I'd look for shallow water, then try to find some good staging area's off of that. Fishing will probably still need to be slow as the water usually is in the 50's during March.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 09:10 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Just owndering if they are putting any restrictions on the fishing, say catch and release only, while the water is lowered? Sounds like the fish will be a lot more congregated, and fighting more for the same bait/food. When loering down lakes reservoirs, sometimes they pu in special restrictions, just wondering if they had there or not.

Lizards
Old 02-18-07, 11:38 AM   #9
Fish2win

Lizards it is true that the lake is drawing down very low. This is a plus. I saw the same thing happen at Fontana several years ago. The result was the same amount of fish in a much small area. It was awlful the number of big smallies that were caught during that time.
This year there will be more and bigger bass caught at Cumberland than in any recent years. After this year it will depend on how well the anglers police themselves ( Catch and Release) The lake is supposed to stay down for several years.
We are a little concerned about the effect that it will have on Norris. Since the lakes are not that far apart we are concerned about increased fishing pressure due to the lack of access at Cumberland. The big boats over there are stuck but the fisherman are not. The upper end of the Powell River is very close to KY. only about 50 miles from Summerset.
There is another lake not far from Cumberland. I fish it a fair amount myself. It is neatr the Corbin exit. It is called Laurel River Lake. Good smallies and great spotted bass fishing. I have caught LM over 5 and one smallie over 5.There are only 2 ramps on the lake and 0 houses. The 2 marinas are easily accessed.Lots of standing timber and lots of rock stucture. Fish2win
Old 02-22-07, 06:03 PM   #10
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Default Thanks for the suggestion!

I will make a point of fishing Laurel River Lake. I really appreciate all the info guys!
Old 02-22-07, 06:14 PM   #11
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A handfull of guys in my bass club would go to cumberland and try to bass fish, but they always ended up getting in on the striper action and crappie...
I know the lake has bass, but I hear ya have to really work for them, so good luck!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.