Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-07, 11:19 PM   #1
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher
Default Oxygen Levels in Water?

I caught a few nice peacock today. I kept them out of the water for the same amount of time I usually do, which is about a minute when I take a pic and sometimes includes a breath. Three of the four nice sized fish I caught came out of two lakes, that connect. Both have been extremely muddy. There has been wind... so my question is why did these fish swim off very slowly. I am not sure if one of them made it. I feel horrible, but have done the same thing over and over again. This is the first time I have had a problem like this. The fourth fish that was out of the water for the same amount of time came out of a canal in a different neighborhood. It swam off fine. Has anyone had something similar to this happen? Any theories?
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:46 AM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When the water gets muddy they don't fly around as much due to poor visibility, plus it can lower the O2. Bigger fish sometimes tend to head off slowler in my experience(haven't a clue why). If you did what you could to keep the fish alive, then I wouldn't worry about it. They usually end up fine, but we are fishermen, and some fish are gonna die regardless of what we do.

Lizards
Old 04-05-07, 09:44 AM   #3
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

The way a fish swims off probably doesn't have much to do with the oxygen content of the water but the conditions outside of the water. The fish wouldn't be so big and healthy if the water conditions were not right for them. Have you ever tried reviving the fish by holding its tail and moving it forward and backward when releasing it? Maybe that would help keep them in tip-top shape.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:11 PM   #4
islandflyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Driz View Post
The way a fish swims off probably doesn't have much to do with the oxygen content of the water but the conditions outside of the water. The fish wouldn't be so big and healthy if the water conditions were not right for them. Have you ever tried reviving the fish by holding its tail and moving it forward and backward when releasing it? Maybe that would help keep them in tip-top shape.

If you move the fish backward and forward, that is bad. Water should only be going into the gills, not through the back. I hold the lip and pull the fish in a figure eight. I fish the lake a lot. The fish usually swim off just fine, but for this one day they were having problems. I am just curious why.
Old 04-05-07, 06:11 PM   #5
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Fish is in shock.
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 06:40 PM   #6
islandflyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
Fish is in shock.
Then why hasn't this ever happened like this before?
Old 04-05-07, 10:33 PM   #7
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

All we can do is guess. The only way to find out is to ask the fish.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.