Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-12-07, 10:12 PM   #1
Bassinkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Frog Rod and Reel?

i know i should get a 7-71/2ft H action rod but what manufacture should i get one from? and what reel would be best for frog fishing with that type of rod? 100$ or less price range is what i'm lookin at for both together..

Last edited by Bassinkid; 04-12-07 at 10:20 PM.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 12:13 AM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been using a 6'6" Med Gator rod, a Shimano Sahara 2000 reel, spooled with braided line. Don't worry about the Med Gator rod. They're made in Florida and my Med is a St.Croix Hvy blank. Also the 6'6" rod works for me, I'm 5'10" and I prefer rods shorter than 7'. I like the Sahara due to the fact that it picks up more line per revolution compared to the other similar priced Shimano reels. I fish a lot of tidal water and I get better hook sets when I can catch up to moving fish. That extra couple inches per revolution means a lot on a river. With 4 revolutions I pick up an extra 12" of line. Cost of my set up is over $100. Reel can be found for $40 or $45. Rod runs around $80. Look at the photo of the bass I'm holding in my profile if you have any concerns. I caught that one deep in a thick matted grass bed on a very long cast that I probably had no business making.
Old 04-13-07, 10:59 AM   #3
FlyRod

Talking

Bassinkid,

Remember that frogs have very small hands. Be certain to choose a rod with a grip small enough for your friend Kermit to handle comfortably.

Ribbit!

FR
Like the wise old frog said..."Time's fun when you're havin' flies!"
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 06:14 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

7 foot minimum.. heavy action or xheavy action.. a fast reel 6.2 gears or faster.braided line or fire line 30 pund test minimum. i use 80 pound braid or 70 pound fireline..the hook set is got to be massive.. don't play and don't joke lock your drag down and drillit home.. a big chunk of plastic to penatrate and removal of the fish from the jungle is needed on the hook set..

zooker
Old 04-13-07, 08:45 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
They're made in Florida and my Med is a St.Croix Hvy blank.
You are the first person I have ever heard say anyones rod is stiffer than a MH or H St Croix. From my limited experience, the St Croix MH is like most company's Heavy, and there Heavy is like a broom handle. This doesn't take away from their sensitivity or lightweight either. But of course that's why I love them so much. Braid, a super sharp hook(Gammy's or Owners), and a stiff rod equals more fish in the boat for me.

Lizards
Old 04-14-07, 10:49 AM   #6
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

I use a 7' MH Quantum Tournament Grade IM8 rod that Wal-Mart has for $35. It's stiff as a board and it's got a really fast action. Didn't see much sense in buying a really expensive and super sensitive rod for this application since this type of fishing only requires the strength to get the bass out of the vegetables. 40 lb. moss green Spiderwire braid. Reel: Abu Garcia 4600 series up at Wal-Mart for 65$.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 05:14 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
You are the first person I have ever heard say anyones rod is stiffer than a MH or H St Croix.

Lizards
Gator custom makes his rods from St. Croix blanks. What Gator labels M is probably a H+ St Croix. I just played with a MH St. Croix the other day and it isn't close to the Med. Gator I have. The ML Gator I use matches with MH to H St Croix.

Anyways they're great rods and I use them when I need to get fish up out of cover in a hurry!!!
Old 04-14-07, 09:38 PM   #8
Rebbasser

7-6 Falcon flipping stick, BPS Extreme 7.1:1 reel, 50 lb Powerpro.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.