Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-12-07, 06:24 PM   #1
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h
Default Lake Kissimmee

I'm going down to Lake Kissimmee to fish here in a week or so, starting to fish on the 25th of February. Anybody got any tips for this lake.

From what I've read so far, the water is really clear, so you can sight fish rather well, and big tubes is what really catches fish down there. Any specific colors I should focus on? I went to BPS the other day and got a ton of things, but mostly in the dark colors for up here.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 06:42 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's on my to do list, fish Kissimmee that is, so I can't help on specifics. In clear water greenpumkin, and green/greenpumkin have been good for me here in Florida. Please give us a report on your fishing, and I'll bet money you'll enjoy the weather rotfl.

Lizards
Old 02-12-07, 06:46 PM   #3
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most natural colors work. Watermelon, green pumpkin, green, motor oil. Also like red shad. Kissimmee is a big lake and the wind can make it pretty rough.
Old 02-12-07, 08:25 PM   #4
thebus71h

Awesome, that's what I was mainly thinking. I picked up a few things that normally work up here well to try down there.

Ever use Chompers Hula Grubs? Up here those kill on Whitewater, and do well on Brookville as well. Along with Powerbait Beast, and Powerworms.

I'll definately let you all know how it went!
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-12-07, 08:45 PM   #5
WTL

I have lots of exp. on that lake. Water is clear but tannic stained, although not as tea colored as hatch. Where are you staying?

Its a very large lake with many things going on there. Its actually one of those lakes that is so big that you can try too much. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.

I suggest highly that you start with 2 presentations, spinnerbaits and flipping worms. The favorite worm color in that area is sometimes red shad, sometimes junebug depending on the clarity. Spinnerbaits - I like just white, with gold or white painted blades.

Locations - first, get a map and take it with you. Again its a big lake, and can get very rough and also confusing with its 5 islands not including grassy island. I have been turned around on it several times.

I like North Cove a lot. It seems to produce big bass, and also has a good mix of cover - bullrushes, buckbrush lined banks, kissimmee grass and hyrdrilla are the 4 types of cover I would look for, especially rushes and buckbrush. Don't ever be afraid that you are too shallow to catch fish, but also be wary that when you are out running there are sandbars - familiarize yourself with the pig trail - a kind of canal or path on the backside of sturm island - it makes it easier to get to north cove, but it can sometimes be too shallow to run so you have to be careful the first few times so you know it.

Other areas that you might look at are philadelphia point, there were some decent patches of rushes surrounded by k/grass there on the point and it has produced some nice fish. Also the eagles nest, which is located on the northern end of the lake, and 27 palms, which is past ox island.

Please let me know if you need more info...and let me know where you are staying cause if its the south end...well thats a ways away from most of the spots I cited.
Old 02-12-07, 10:46 PM   #6
thebus71h

Also, what kind of weather should we expect? I know it's going to be warmer than here, but is it safe to say I can do the hoosier way of fishing in flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt? Or is Kissimmee like Winchester Speedway where no matter what the weather is like, take it, and subtract 30 degrees from it cause it's so cold.
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-15-07, 04:12 PM   #7
WTL

http://www.weather.com/weather/month...nav_undeclared
Old 02-15-07, 11:52 PM   #8
thebus71h

Even though I'll look like a big wussy, I enjoy my life, and how many gators should I expect to make me shat in my pants.
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-16-07, 12:06 AM   #9
WTL

You will see many gators, up to 12 feet or so. And I think its the time of year when they are mating, so I would really stay away. Don't worry one bit about getting attacked, if you see one give it its distance and you will be fine I promise.

Where are you staying on the lake?
Old 02-16-07, 07:44 AM   #10
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus71h View Post
Even though I'll look like a big wussy, I enjoy my life, and how many gators should I expect to make me shat in my pants.
All you gotta do is out swim/out run whoever is with you rotfl I was skeered of them at first too. As WTL states just stay away from them. Don't try to get close or even close up pics. Also Stay off the bank a little ways, they nest on the shore, and hang around the edges. If they feel threatened or your too close to their nest, they may make a little fuss. Hope you catch a hawg. One other thing about gators. They like topwater stuff. They will chase it and bobbers. So do your best to keep those away from them.

Lizards
Old 02-16-07, 11:34 PM   #11
hackattack

dude get some white ones to so you can make sure the fish eats it and you dont snag it. A lot of times the fish will swim over your bait and you will set the hook thinking they ate it and snag them. this is how the would-be world record 25 lber was caught, but it wasn't properly hooked so it didn't count. Actually any bright color is fine. that is just what i would use, given the circumstances(even thought the water is clear). Also, dont forget your polarized glasses. Ask jolly about sight fishing; he knows his stuff.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 11:40 PM   #12
Christopherkeene9

Gators, don't be afraid of them, like everyone said just give 'em space if your scared. And yes as lizards stated they will hit your baits (hooked into a 4ftr. with a green pumpkin tube 2 summers ago).

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 01:44 AM   #13
WTL

Again, the water in Kissimmee aint clear. Its tea colored, and depending on work in the canals or traffic it has been dirtied up before.

If you hook a gator, cut the line. Although it doesnt happen much. But it can be a wild place, my father was fishing topwater in north cove one morning and a damn hawk picked his propbait up and took it 20 feet. SOoo lucky he dropped it without getting hooked.
Old 02-17-07, 02:06 AM   #14
thebus71h

Thanks for the support, but I'm still freaked out about those damn gators! We'll see how it is when we get there. Thanks for the support.

Just so I know, how close is to close to a gator?
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-17-07, 02:47 AM   #15
WTL

Just use common sense. I have been withing 10 feet of them basking. Any more than that and I would recomend slowly trolling the other way. They will do the same 9/10. Don't take it the wrong way, but be a man, man. Its just yet another wild animal. Treat it with respect because of what it can do, and it will treat you with respect because they do know what humans can do.

PS, if you want to see something cool....take a 1,000,000 or so candlepower light out at dusk and look for amber colored reflections in the water - its their eyes. You will see a ton swimming around that way. Last year I counted about 25 in a one mile stretch of canal going back to camp. This was the kissimmee canal from lake hatchineha going towards the oxbow at camp lester/camp mack.

Are you staying at either of those camps? If so, I got some more places for you to check out on lakes hatchineha and cypress which are as close and as good as lake kissimmee.
Old 02-17-07, 03:19 AM   #16
thebus71h

Well, for right now I'm not to sure where we are staying. My fiance' is going down there with us and she's staying in Tampa with family, while we go fishing. And from what I understand, the ramp that he's needing to go to is about 100 miles from Tampa, and he's found a few things, and reserved a few things, but we're not to sure yet of where we're staying.

But the final thing on the gators, they aren't going to attack me for flipping onto their turf or nothin' are they? Remember, I'm just a weird ol' hoosier who used to live in Michigan where we didn't have things like this! lol
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-17-07, 08:38 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
But the final thing on the gators, they aren't going to attack me for flipping onto their turf or nothin' are they? Remember, I'm just a weird ol' hoosier who used to live in Michigan where we didn't have things like this! lol
Hell they might just bite ya for being a hoosier rotfl. JK, I'm a ex hoosier who moved down here about 1.5 years ago. Really they may give you a few chills at first, but just leave em alone and they will leave you alone. Pitching along the shoreline is fine, just don't go onto shore in the swamp to go to the bathroom Relax and have fun. IMO gators are much more dangerous on the golf courses than the lakes/rivers.

Lizards
Old 02-17-07, 11:12 PM   #18
WTL

I don't know Lizards, if you gotta go, you gotto go, gators or no....
Old 02-17-07, 11:32 PM   #19
flfireman

A few things that haven't been brought up yet. Gators will hang out in heavy grass and cover. If you are inclose to this and they don't have a way out they will come at the boat. Will not attack, but may give it a little bump. Also they will follow a fighting fish hoping for a easy meal. If you are reaching in for a bass and the grass is moving or swirling get your hand out of there. I tend to use a net or flip them into the boat in heavy stuff. To many times Ive had small gators or moccasins hanging out. Other than that, every thing above is good info. They are more scared of you then you are of them, but they will be aggresive if close to a nest or hatchlings. Also, if you get close to one and they hiss or growl, your to close. If one is in the water and the water starts vibrating around it, your to close. Have fun, don't worry about them- just be cautious of your surroundings. I worry more about snakes then gators.
Old 02-18-07, 01:37 PM   #20
WTL

If they start vibrating that basically means the gator is doing the mating thing, in which case like most animals, give em a little space and privacy.
Old 02-18-07, 08:43 PM   #21
thebus71h

Oh god, I forgot about snakes. Personally, I'd rather be eaten by a gator, than have a snake touch me. lol

Thanks for the advice, we always use nets (at least I always do), and that's very good info, especially since I imagine we'll be pitchin' and flipping into cover quite a bit on this lake. Thank you guys for all the input, I'll try to take as many pictures as I can!
Billy Rowlee #71h
Old 02-18-07, 11:31 PM   #22
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

Quote:
Thanks for the support, but I'm still freaked out about those damn gators! We'll see how it is when we get there. Thanks for the support.

Just so I know, how close is to close to a gator?

i have never seen so many men so afraid of "gators"....bet is fearful of them...i always assure him iffin one attacks him i'd jump in front of him to save him.....hehehehehe......skeerdy cats.......
Old 02-20-07, 10:24 PM   #23
flfireman

Not scared cautious. I actually catch the small ones on certain occasions. Just reach out and grab them.
Old 02-21-07, 12:50 PM   #24
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Not scared cautious. I actually catch the small ones on certain occasions. Just reach out and grab them.
now that's what i'm talkin about.....real men arent' askeered....
Old 02-22-07, 12:13 AM   #25
thebus71h

Well here is a question actually about fishin'. Do ya'll even see a point for me to bring my 6' dropshot pole, and my stub pole (5' 6")? I keep hearing about monster fish down there, and those two poles work great up here as the fish aren't THAT huge, basically I just don't want to take poles down there to break em.
Billy Rowlee #71h

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.