Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-07, 09:10 AM   #1
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Walmart & Fishing Supplies

Has anyone noticed that the hunting and fishing sections at Wally World have gotten smaller? Recently I ask the manager at our store
about what was going on. Here is the deal: Walmart is reorganizing all of its stores so that they will all be uniform. Every store in the country will look the same. She also told me that during that process the hunting and fishing sections were down sized. What a bummer!
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 09:28 AM   #2
ihateforwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

I noticed that... a few years ago I was looking at the fishing section of Rapala lures, and just yesterday I went back, the whole section was reduced by atleast 25%! Why would they do that...
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 09:28 AM   #3
ihateforwards

I guess we should all buy our fishing needs now before they reorganize it to downsize the stores and you can't find what you need anymore.
Old 03-18-07, 10:04 AM   #4
InEccess

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

Walmart's the devil. Seriously, if you're living near a lake, there's probably a Mom and Pop baitshop that's going to be profitting because of this. Support small business, that's where the truly innovative concepts come from.
Old 03-18-07, 10:08 AM   #5
Recon8541

ineccess exactly!

Besides to be honest walmart seems to carry some stuff, but their selection has never been that good....
Recon8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 10:42 AM   #6
Dannie Zimmerman
BassFishin.Com Member

Recon8541, you are right about that! Walmart will also order stuff for the season. I ask a manager about that one too. They get their fishing supplies in the spring and it sells out, alot of the stuff is not reordered. The same goes with the hunting stuff. This really sucks because down here in Louisiana you can fish almost year round!
Dannie Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:12 AM   #7
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
Walmart's the devil. Seriously, if you're living near a lake, there's probably a Mom and Pop baitshop that's going to be profitting because of this. Support small business, that's where the truly innovative concepts come from.
I totally agree... I would rather pay a tad bit more at these places where I'm greated with great service and a smile than go buy lures at wal-mart where the kid working the sporting goods section can't tell the difference between spinning and a baitcaster...
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 11:32 AM   #8
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Our local baitshop costs maybe 5% more than walmart AKA the Devil and you get great service, knowledgeable advice, and actual conversation and consideration. We should all make an effort to support small local business like tackle and bait shops.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 12:08 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I guess we are lucky. Between Academy Sports, Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro Shops the lack of tackle at Wallyworld really is a non-factor. Truth be told I honestly can't remember the last time I bought tackle at WM.
Old 03-18-07, 12:14 PM   #10
hackattack

im a fan of walmart spinnerbaits...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 02:59 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I guess we are lucky. Between Academy Sports, Sportsman's Warehouse and Bass Pro Shops the lack of tackle at Wallyworld really is a non-factor. Truth be told I honestly can't remember the last time I bought tackle at WM.
same here i rarely go to walmart for any type of tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEccess View Post
if you're living near a lake, there's probably a Mom and Pop baitshop that's going to be profitting because of this. Support small business, that's where the truly innovative concepts come from.
i completely agree with you ineccess
i live within 30 miles of some of the top bass lakes in the country.. though in recent years a few tackle shops have gone under..the hands down best mom and pop store here is hwy 49. there tackle section will rival anyone's short of bass pro.. the owner will listen to the fisherman and there wants.. something big places like bass pro can't/wont do..

remember listening to the guys that keep you in bussiness is how you stay in bussiness.

yeah ok so i am bias i dropped about $9000 in that place in the last year..call me and investor..

zooker
Old 03-18-07, 03:45 PM   #12
Bassinkid

there are some stores that are really trying to get rid of some lures and stuff i saw. like duhnams had a ton of 99cent lures and plastic worms.
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 03:53 PM   #13
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

If you think Wally World is getting bad try Gander Mountain, I went in looking for treble hook's, They don't even sell them by their selfs i could.nt believe it. Heck they did'nt have much of an option on anything really. So of course when i got back home i went to good old BPS, Never have a problem finding what i need there.
Old 03-18-07, 04:14 PM   #14
hackattack

bps is my favorite by a mile, too bad there isnt one within 2,000+ miles...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 04:29 PM   #15
Fishnfool4evr
BassFishin.Com Member

Damn , Where u from Hack
Old 03-18-07, 06:45 PM   #16
zooker

hak you definatly need to put your location in your profile..

zooker
Old 03-18-07, 06:49 PM   #17
ihateforwards

Wal-Mart is the devil! My Wal-Mart isn't though, they actually sell like x-rap's, glass shad raps, dt series, any yum plastic soft bait, poison strikeking lures, etc.
Old 03-18-07, 10:46 PM   #18
bassinbob

I think wal mart is feeling the pressure from Gander, Dick's, Cabelas, BPS and others. We fishermen are doing to them what a lot of other people wish would happen. I have one small fishing supply store close by. I do support them. Even though his prices are usually $2 more for baits. He sells Case plastics and a few others everyone else doesn't carry. Where I live there is a Gander MT., Dick's and wal mart close together. Cabela's is an hour away and so is Sportman's Warehouse. We are suposed to get a BPS about 45 mins. away. I'll stop at wal mart this time of the year to get the closeouts. I did go to a Gander Mt. a little further away to pick up a reel today. I had a 20%off coupon. They had a few GLoomis rods there. I still have one more coupon. Maybe the bait monkey might pursuade me to go back for one.
Old 03-20-07, 01:56 AM   #19
carolina-rig-01

ihatefowards...i think you are missing the big picture, this company has made its money by running mom and pop stores out of business. everything from grocery stores to clothing stores and everything in between. these are generally good blue collar, run of the mill ,down to earth, hard working people, that are being put out of business by this "devil". and yeah they may have the brand name baits your talking about but did you ever wonder how they can sell them so cheap? they may look the same but they are not the same quality as the ones you would buy from bass pro, cabelas, ect. they are called "seconds" and for some reason they were rejected buy your better stores. now some of you might remember the hooplah that got started the last time i responded to a post about wal-mart and i hope i didn't step on any toes this time. i just wanted to get in on it and i guess tip toe around what i really want to say.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:13 AM   #20
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

bet and i were in wally world the other night to pick up a couple of things....and how funny this thread started for i looked at him and said how crappy wm fishing section had become these days....heck they didn't have not on FLW bait at all....what's up with that?????......then i said i think it's time for a BPS trip soon....of course he quickly agreed......
Old 03-20-07, 07:33 PM   #21
ihateforwards

Carolina-Rig-01, well since there isn't a Bass Pro or Cabela's around ANYWHERE close to where I live, I just use wal-mart. Sometimes Dick's Sporting Goods, but they're expensive... Anyways, I am completely sure that Cabela's or Bass Pro has much better selections then Walmart does. You know what's weird? I had a dream last night, and it was that a Bass Pro shop was in my front yard, and I went inside it. To my surprise, they had a rack (like a sunglasses rack) full of spinner baits, then the rest of the store was clothing. That was one weird dream...
Old 03-20-07, 07:48 PM   #22
NJBassDevil

My walmart has gotten bigger with the fishing selection! Tons of new and great stuff! Hunting is definatly getting smaller tho.
Old 03-21-07, 01:17 PM   #23
Wishing2BFishing

Anyone happen to see the South Park episode where they build a Wal Mart in the town and similar to other episodes, things get out of hand?
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:19 PM   #24
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

yea i saw that episode, isnt that the one where they learn people crap themselves after dying?
Old 03-21-07, 03:02 PM   #25
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
yea i saw that episode, isnt that the one where they learn people crap themselves after dying?
I dunno. My recollection is that the Wal Mart episode had some evil store manager that wanted to take over the world with the Wal Marts. They (Kyle and Cartman) eventually burn down the store. The very next day, they build a new Wal mart.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.