Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-14-07, 07:37 AM   #1
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swim Bait

Boy have they gotten popular after last weeks show can some one help me I want to buy some storms but not sure how to rig them or fish they. Are they weighted? Do you count them down and slow role eraticly? Drop shot? can anyone help me I think they will be a great bait .
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 08:40 AM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

They are already rigged.. just tie one on and chunk it. Bounce it off the bottom, jerk it in, crank it in whatever you want to do.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 10:42 AM   #3
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

The Storms are already weighted.

Here's what I use for the different sizes of swim baits that Storm offers. Spinning setups with 8 to 12 lb. line make it easy to launch the 3" paddle tail and curly tail swimbaits that Storm offers. Those also work really well when you use a bobber during times that the fish are less active. But you're probably talking about the bigger swimbaits that storm offers, like 5" and up, right? A 6 1/2 or 7 foot medium/rod rigged with 12 lb. line for a deeper presentation and 15 lb. for a shallower presentation.

You can fish these things any way you want though. Most of the time a slow and steady retrieve works well with the Storms. Work a few twitches of the rod tip in there or work the rod like you would with a fluke, lots of short twitches and pauses. Stop and go is pretty effective too. When you're using the bigger line sometimes it's better to count the bait down since they seem to want to stay higher in the water column than the smaller, more streamlined 3" version.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 10:57 AM   #4
vagabond

Last year I got some swim baits from this place. http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/homepage.html

They were really heavy and I needed to get a new rod to fish with them. I never caught anything with them but I didn't use them very much either. Every time I tried to use them, my father-in-law couldn't stop laughing at me becasue they were so huge.

The Huddlebug's that are on that site, the pre-rigged ones, did really well for me.

If I had my own boat I'd have fished the swim baits more. But when you are getting laughed at for two hours and haven't got a bite yet, I was ready to go back to a plastic worm.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 08:52 AM   #5
boater

Actualy I curently have 3 " but am going to see what they do before expanding to larger.
I can see them replaceing a crankbait in alot of conditions
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 09:40 AM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

The Larger swimbaits usually are fished for bigger bass, such as 10+ lbs.. the 3" are perfectly fine for 2-4 pounders, thats what you usually get on them.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:08 AM   #7
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Last year I got some swim baits from this place. http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/homepage.html

They were really heavy and I needed to get a new rod to fish with them. I never caught anything with them but I didn't use them very much either. Every time I tried to use them, my father-in-law couldn't stop laughing at me becasue they were so huge.

The Huddlebug's that are on that site, the pre-rigged ones, did really well for me.

If I had my own boat I'd have fished the swim baits more. But when you are getting laughed at for two hours and haven't got a bite yet, I was ready to go back to a plastic worm.

Yo,

You should keep throwing that Hudd. When you do eventually get bit on it( I assure you it will happen if you keep at it), you will be the one who is laughung.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 02:45 PM   #8
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
The Larger swimbaits usually are fished for bigger bass, such as 10+ lbs.. the 3" are perfectly fine for 2-4 pounders, thats what you usually get on them.
I have some of the 2&3 inch swimbaits and agree with Tex - I've had some good luck in the 2-3 pound range and they are fun to fish. lots of different ways to present them.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 04:29 PM   #9
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

And let them laugh. Because when you do get bit on it, that one fish will beat the Chit out everyone else's 5!!!! Trust me I thought the same thing, then I fished with Bill Siemantel in California and hooked a 16lber, I was a believer from then on!!! Big key to the Hud is how fast you work it. Recommended to be used with a 6:3:1 reel, count 1:1000 up to 3:1000 that should one full turn of the reel and keep that pace up. You just want to reel it fast enough so you feel that tail going wup, wup, wup back and forth and no faster!! Every once in a while during the cast about 2 or 3 time, rip the rod as hard as you can either left or right or up, this will cause the bait to do a directional change then kill it for the count of 3, that can trigger any fish that might be following the bait!!!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 08:28 PM   #10
hackattack

also if you think a fish is following it, speed it up for about the last 15 feet and anything chasing it will probably bite.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 04:21 PM   #11
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
also if you think a fish is following it, speed it up for about the last 15 feet and anything chasing it will probably bite.

Most of the time just speeding it up won't trigger a strike, they are following it waiting for it to do something different not just swim away they have not committed to the bait yet. By doing a directional change, the bass thinks it surprise has been given away and then they will eat it before it get away.

Now if you do get a follow on a swimbait, don't cast right back where that fish came from.....she's no longer there, you have repositioned her, so you need to resposition your cast to adjust for it!!!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.