Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-27-11, 05:20 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Field & Stream Tec Spec Rods

Has anyone ever used these, if so how are they?
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 06:00 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can vouch for these rods... I used to own some. They are absolutely incredible for the value... for $59 you get a rod that is worth much more than $59. They feature Fuji Hardloy guides, and an open reel seat. The sensitivity was pretty good with them, and they are technique specific. The balance on the rod was good as well. The crankbait rod was a true medium moderate rod.

Ryan
Old 01-28-11, 10:29 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i was wondering about thes too... saw em at Dicks a few weeks ago and then last night i was watching a fishing siminar on crankbaits in one of those big tank trailers, the guy was using all tec spec rods. i assumed this was just to save some money in cse they got broke or stole... but maybe he actually likes the rod.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:38 AM   #4
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

a friend of mine has one, i have used it afew times and i really like it and for the price u cant beat them.
SJRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 10:19 AM   #5
yammy969
BassFishin.Com Member

i have been using field and stream rods for about 3 years now and love em. just started with the tec rods and have no complaints. check out the i7 series also
yammy969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:49 AM   #6
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I've been using the spinning rods (6'10" M) for almost a year now and have been VERY pleased with them.

But really....this thread is worthless without PICTURES!!!!

Shimano Sahara 2500 reel used.

Old 02-06-11, 04:36 PM   #7
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I havent used the tech rods yet but i have a field and stream crankin rod that is Sweeeet. its the cheapest rod i own but I crank with it more than any of my other rods. the techs feel a little on the heavy side but for the $ you cant complain.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 10:57 AM   #8
unbiased14
BassFishin.Com Member

I can vouch here too.

I have the tec spec 7'6" tele flipping stick. it's mh, and with an extra fast action tip.

Probably one of the best 60 dollar rods I've ever seen, especially in a flipping stick. this rod is balanced, but is a bit heavier than you would think. I compared my flippin stick with my dad's south bend intruder flippin stick (big heavy guides, huge reel seat, long foregrip and full rear grip), and his was actually a bit lighter. I think this comes by way of the difference in the modulus of graphite in the blank. The intruder has high modulus graphite (feels like 60-70 million), and the tec spec has RCS (reverse carbon slit) I don't really know what this means, but I do know it's lower modulus, hence the decrease in sensitivity. But I don't really care about the heavier weight, when using the tec spec, it feels lighter than the intruder flippin stick because of balance. the balance point on the ts flip stick is about 3" from the middle of the reel seat. while on the intruder it's more like 8-9" from the top of the reel seat!

As for the sensitivity, I compared a stock model flippin stick with a mojo bass plastics rod (7'm fast). I compared sensitivity of the two rods by holding the rods horizontally, then holding the tips about 1" or so from one of those little metal tags like you's see plastic baits hanging from. I just lightly tapped the tags and observed the vibration transfer from the tip to the reel seat. the tec spec was about 40% of the sensitivity of the mojo bass. the intruder was about like 75%. it's kind of depressing. I modified my flipping stick by removing the aluminum winding check, and peeling off the eva on the locking ring. when I went home, I tried the same thing with my flipping stick, and observed that the ts flip stick with the foregrip mod had about 60% the sensitivity of the mojo bass. it's still depressing, and i'm thinking I gonna get a mojo plastics as soon as I can.

as for the strength, it's a powerhouse. I'm 5'8, 150, and more muscular than most kids my size; yet I could barely flex the butt section of the ts. It's recommended lure weights are 1/4 to 1 ounce. But with the amount of backbone that it has, I wouldn't think twice about throwing baits as much a 2 ounces with this thing, . It'd be a great rod to throw frogs with, pitching in heavy cover, flipping, and for throwing swimbaits probably up to 3 oz. but that'd probably be pushing it a bit. It also has a light tip, light enough to throw lighter plastic baits with. in the beginning of the year, I was fishing little soft jerkbaits to attempt to finesse a bite from february bass, and I was suprised at how far I could throw them with this rod. reletively speaking, it wasn't far, maybe 60 or 70 feet. I was throwing a zoom salty super fluke, with a flipping stick. now 60 to 70 don't seem too bad, at least to me.

the handle is dense eva foam, not as dense as the vendetta's but plenty firm enough. it's also nice and long, which I really like so I can get a little more leverage on a fish to help torque him in. The reel seat is very similar in construction to the carrot stick reel seats, and offers something I haven's seen much; a second locking ring to make sure the reel won't come off, and will probably help with durability.

the guides are fuji hardloy's (10), which seem to be pretty good, although the single foot guides are easy to bend. the double foot guides are rock solid, and feel pretty good when casting and retrieving. I haven't noticed any grooving, even with braid.

For 60$, I don't think you can do much better than this.

on a different note, sorry for the long reply. I just wanted to make sure that I was in depth enough, because whenever I look at a rod I might want to pull the trigger on, I research as much as I can, finding as many reviews as possible. but whenever I found anything, it was usually just a few lines that didn't really answer any of my questions. I know there are other people out there like me, and I just wanted to make sure that I was as in-depth as I could have been.

Last edited by unbiased14; 04-12-11 at 12:30 PM.
unbiased14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-12, 12:03 PM   #9
JAKEBFISHIN
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a 7'6 flippin stick great rod bought it at dicks. I broke the rod seat after 100 consecutive days of use. It handled 2 huge bass one 7.1 pounder and one 6.5 pounder like they were blue gill. I fish every day and catch a boatload of fish. brought it back to Dicks and they replaced it no problem. Just bought the 7'6 heavy umbrella rod for 80 bucks super rod super sensitivity go buy a few ,if they break take it back.I highly suggest buying these rods,why spend a ton of money on a rod just to abuse it.
JAKEBFISHIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.