Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-27-06, 09:40 PM   #101
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This is a dremel. Its a small rotary tool that is good at sanding, cutting, drilling and doing lots of task associated with carving lures from wood. Really a versatile tool. Plus you wont get in as much trouble with one as you'd get in with like a circular saw or something.

http://www.dremel.com/HTML/home_fr.html

These are erectors sets. They were a popular toy in the 50s, a much more versatile version of legoes or lincoln logs where you have numerous steel parts that you can assemble together to make crap. I had one too, although probably not as good as the ones the older folks on here had. Hell I wish I still had it. Its just a good thing to get a kid who likes to make crap.

http://www.newhorizontoys.com/all-erector-price.html
Old 01-27-06, 09:47 PM   #102
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

the dremel would spend half of my budget. its as much as everything id need to make crnkabaits, including an X-acto woodcarving set. and how does an erector set relate to fishing?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 10:28 PM   #103
rrw4258

i have a dremel tool from my grandpa, and i love it, i am actually getting into making my own lures now! I use a wood called bass wood, and it is a very soft wood, great for the dremel tool!
Old 01-27-06, 10:36 PM   #104
crankybait

ah yes. basswood. ive been working out a deal with my applied technology teacher. we do a lot of building with wood. they have state of the art technology too. i was trying to ask him if i could stay after school and use the scrap wood and srills. they even have a sanding machine! pretty much anything id need for woodworks
Old 01-28-06, 09:37 AM   #105
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Balsa wood is the way to go. Bills are made out of wood.
Old 01-28-06, 09:42 AM   #106
JB

You can go to any hardware store cranky and get the desired thickness of plexiglass, get a small piece lie 12x12 inches 1/16th or 1/8th thick, trace a fingertip around it and cut it out for the bill.
When you have a fav. crankbait or rogue that is thrown against the rocks all day, often the bill breaks, instead of replacing the lure we just cut out a new bill and epoxy it on.
You really need to get a smaller knife, go get you a 50 cent box cutter, they have plenty of sharp edges an would be safer for you.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 10:01 AM   #107
crankybait

plexiglas? alright, ill try to remember it when i go to home depot for the epoxy. its right next to walmart, where i buy the hooks. and if the bill breaks, how do you get the leftover stub out?

NOTE: if i do find plexiglas at home depot and i can afford it, ill be adding bills. you can the choose new designs if i already set you for testing. itll include flat crank regular crank, and possibly some new stuff. thanks a lot JB
Old 01-28-06, 12:51 PM   #108
WTL

Hey JB, how are yall cutting the plexiglass? I know how to cut it in straight lines by scarring it with a knife, but have no idea how to cut curves. I have figured out it is easy to melt with a heat gun and then bend to a desired shape, but thats realy not useful for fishing too much.
Old 01-28-06, 03:48 PM   #109
crankybait

oh, thats right... how would i cut it if i got it? i wouldnt be able to make bills out of small rectangles. either that or thy wouldnt work so great. how much is plexiglas anyways?
Old 01-28-06, 04:38 PM   #110
JB

Oh thats right , you'll need to purchase this plexiglass cutter, my bad...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 09:08 PM   #111
crankybait

sry guys, im going to have to delay the luremaking. i went to walmart today. they didnt have any long shanked hooks, so im going to have to go to dicks. and i figured out waterproof epoxy turns white, and itd cover the color of my lure. are there any clear, strong epoxies?
Old 01-29-06, 05:57 AM   #112
gregglossop
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool the lure

i'll test if you want to message me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
well i sent bass kicker my idea for this lure, and he agreed to test it. i have about 6 testers now, and he told me to ask some of you. so here:

hey guys... well, to make some cash for fishign gear, ive decided to try and make my own kind of lure. something differt, so ill have no competition. anyways, i came up with one thing. id blend aluminum foil and paper with water and glue, to make silver paste. replace paper and foil with colored shiny giftwrap for other colors. blend for different color tones. then, i mold it around a long shanked hook, to a fish form, and add googly. i would also mold on different colors. then, i hot glue the whole thing, and level some off so the color and shine goes thru. this makes it hard and durable, plus feels kinda fishy under water. it lasts about 2wice as long as a waveworm or senko, considering how it is bitten at. anyways, after i make some cash and buy gear, ill add trebles on copper wire at front, and glass eyes. any opinions or testers?
gregglossop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 09:42 AM   #113
crankybait

can you pm me with what color you want, design, ect. i can make almost any design without a bill
Old 01-29-06, 10:05 AM   #114
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

id love to try it out if its free
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 10:14 AM   #115
PowerBass

Cranky, a way to cut plexi glass would be a scroll saw or even a bandsaw, get your shop techers permission before doing this. Anyways, I have been kicking around the idea of making light balsa bodied popper style lures, and I am gonna ask if I can stay after once I get some Ideas planned out.
Old 01-29-06, 10:20 AM   #116
crankybait

scroll saw? i think he has one of those. ill ask him, thanks for the idea. bassfisherman32, go ahead and pm me too. would anybody know a way around the epoxy problem?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.