Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-02-11, 01:27 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Prepping the boat for salt water

The better half and I are heading to New Orleans for some red fish and trout in the Avalanche next mouth. What can/should I do to prep it for the salt water? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 01:40 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No prep really needed for salt water...it's afterwards that you need to worry about. If you're going to dunk the trailer in salt water, you need to spray it off REALLY well ASAP. If you don't believe me, I'll send you some pictures of my trailer that was used in the Pontchartrain before I bought it.....fenders are literally falling off of it.
Also, flush the motor for a while after you get back, to make sure all of the salt is gone from in there. I'd really spray off the whole boat, for the same reason. Anything metal that's not stainless will corrode really quickly after being in contact with salt water.
Old 09-02-11, 02:28 PM   #3
bassfisher

So I guess a good wax job won't help on the boat? My fathers (Mine now) old Tracker Magna so salt water alot. He replace his trailer with a galvanized trailer. But I guess he never clean the salt off the boat very well, nor flushed the motor very well.

The place we stay has a garden hose hooked up to fresh water at all times. I'll use it to wash the boat off the best I can. Should I try and stick it up inside the trailer the best I can to flush it, or go find same fresh water near by and flush it that way?
Old 09-02-11, 02:39 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just realized...Avalanche = aluminum. Now I see where you're coming from.
Waxing won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't worry about it. You can either dunk the trailer a couple of times in fresh water, or spray it really well with the hose, or both. Just make sure you wash all the salt off of it, and anything inside the boat that made contact with the salt water.
Either hook up a hose to the motor using the "muffs" and let it idle for a while to flush fresh water through it, or if possible, put it in a lake or river with fresh water and run it for a few minutes.
I'd rather do too much flushing and washing and spraying than too little, so a little overkill is ok...
Old 09-02-11, 03:42 PM   #5
bassfisher

Ops, should had said Tracker Avalanche. Okay then, I like overkilling things. (I do that to much now, so that'll be easy, hahaha) Thanks!!
Old 09-03-11, 02:49 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Harold,

I could go on and on about galvanic reactions, but a link is easier.

http://www.duroboat.com/experience/A...Corrossion.htm

In summary, make sure your anodes are in good shape, and rinse/flush often.
Old 09-06-11, 11:29 AM   #7
Top Tiger

Where are you putting in? If you are launching in freshwater and then running to saltwater, the engine and boat will rinse off on the way back and the trailer doesn't count. A quick rinse off with a hose should be all that you need.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 02:39 PM   #8
bassfisher

My anodes are in new condition, so no worry there. We'll be in salt water the whole time, so, yes, I'll be doing a lot of rinsing with fresh water, muffs on the motor, the whole 9 yards. We have yet to decide to make a side trip to fresh water on the way home or not. Thanks for all the good advice.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.